Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Speciality Forums >> Science! Astronomy & Space Exploration, and Others

Pages: 1
ILikePluto

Reged: 02/17/09

Gaia Launches Soon
      #6120194 - 10/06/13 08:46 AM

The Gaia spacecraft will soon launch on a mission to chart the heavens in unprecedented detail.

by Devin Powell

In November, the European Space Agency (ESA) launches Gaia: an astrometric mission that required many compromises and 13 years to complete, and will cost about €1 billion (US$1.4 billion). Gaia will make observations for the next 5 years; the results will extend the reach of high-precision maps from the roughly 2.5 million stars near Earth to at least 1 billion stretching to the edge of the Milky Way or beyond. For an estimated 10 million of those objects, Gaia's map will be fully three-dimensional: the spacecraft will measure not just the stars' locations on the sky, but also their distances from Earth, accurate to less than 1%. For now, the distances to only a few hundred stars are known at this level of precision.

Full story at Nature

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GlennLeDrew
Postmaster

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Re: Gaia Launches Soon new [Re: ILikePluto]
      #6120907 - 10/06/13 04:29 PM

This is a mission I've been eagerly awaiting for more than a decade. It will better the Hipparcos data by something like two orders of magnitude in accuracy. Already Hipparcos has permitted to resolve the ~150 l-y distant Hyades in depth. With GAIA we could do the same for clusters perhaps 1,500 l-y distant. I really hope there are no glitches, for this mission's results will transform our picture of our corner of the Galaxy and revolutinize Galactic dynamics. I can imagine the flood of papers which will result!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
3 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  LivingNDixie, FirstSight, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 135

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics