Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Baxstar

Reged: 09/15/12

Loc: The Netherland
CGEM DX with C14?
      #6120228 - 10/06/13 09:14 AM

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a C14 on a CGEM DX mount. Does any one have experience with this setup? Pros? Cons? Setup pictures etc? I need as much information as possible!

I'm especially interested in balance problems and dewproblems and how did you solve these problems?

Thx!
Casper

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: CGEM DX with C14? new [Re: Baxstar]
      #6120898 - 10/06/13 04:22 PM

No...no...no...no...no...

- Jim

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: CGEM DX with C14? new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #6120915 - 10/06/13 04:33 PM

You've used this configuration, Jim?

OP: Depends on what you want. I wouldn't advise it for serious imaging, but for general use it's at least a little bit better than a G11/C14 combo.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: CGEM DX with C14? new [Re: rmollise]
      #6120926 - 10/06/13 04:39 PM

Nope. But I have an Atlas on a concrete pier, and it struggled a bit with a C11. Undermounting is a great sin.

Regards,

Jim

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
      #6120929 - 10/06/13 04:40 PM

Rod, am curious why not for serious imaging, the mount or scope? and by serious you talking tracking capability? Thank you,
Kasey

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: CGEM DX with C14? new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #6120961 - 10/06/13 05:00 PM

I'm not saying you can't do any imaging with it. People have done good work with G11s, even. This is a big OTA with a lot of focal length though. It is certainly sufficient for video, or for the kind of CCD work most of us do--5 - 10 minute subs. For "6-hours of LRGB," though you probably need to kick it up a notch.

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
      #6120973 - 10/06/13 05:07 PM

ok, thats what I was thinking you meant, very long exposures. thank you, Kasey

Wouter D'hoye
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/27/03

Loc: Belgium
Re: CGEM DX with C14? new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #6121645 - 10/07/13 01:38 AM

Hi,

Although I have no personal experience with the mount or a C14 based on the specs I doubt it would be an really good match. What are your goals with this kind of setup? Solely visual use? Lunar/planetary imaging? Deep sky astro photography? I agree with Rod that it probably can be done. But I'm quite sure that it will not be easy.

I'd personally suggest that you either go for a lighter optic or save some longer for a mount that's really up to the task of carrying such a big telescope.

Remember, if you consider any kind of imaging, the mount is the single most important part of your setup.

Kind regards,

Wouter.

Baxstar

Re: CGEM DX with C14? new [Re: Wouter D'hoye]
      #6121926 - 10/07/13 09:10 AM

I will only use it for visual observations. Celestron site suggests that an CGEM DX will hold 23kg of payload and a C14 is 'only' 20kg.. 3kg for finder and eyepieces?

EDIT: if you don't think the CGEM DX will do the job visually which mount would you suggest? Please don't come with an AP mount.. I'm only 17 years old so I don't have that much money to spend

Casper

Edited by Baxstar (10/07/13 09:19 AM)

Jim Romanski
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/02/05

Loc: Guilford, Connecticut
      #6122186 - 10/07/13 11:16 AM

I have a CGEM DX and it's quite a beast. It's significantly larger than the CGEM and Atlas. I think it would work fine with a C14 visually. I haven't done any imaging with it yet so I can't answer that.

I bought it to do observing with several telescopes including my old 8" Cave. I strapped the Cave on once to try it and no problem with the load. I need to figure out a permenant method of mounting it.

I intend to do some imaging with my NP127 which is quite a bit lighter than a C14. I can tell you that if I carefully polar align the NP127 on the CGEM DX I can up an object in the eyepiece go in the house for a couple of hours and it's still centered.

Now that I have the CGEM DX I'm considering getting a C11 or C14. But that will have to wait for my hobby budget to recover.

Baxstar

Re: CGEM DX with C14? new [Re: Jim Romanski]
      #6122354 - 10/07/13 12:34 PM

Hi Jim,

Your NP127 is a lot lighter if I'm correct, but good to hear that it tracks very well

Nobody with CGEM DX + C14 experience?

Casper

snommisbor
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/15/09

Loc: Cedar Park, TX
      #6122697 - 10/07/13 02:55 PM

Well I see Celestron actually sells that set up but that just seems like you are at the outer limits of that mount and after you add the essential items to the scope it is maxed to the hilt on it. But for visual only it could work but even then how solid would it be from vibrations? I never heard of a C14 on anything smaller than a CGE or 60# and up type of mount capacity. According to Celestron's website a 50# capacity and a 45# scope that is without anything on it.

korborh
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/29/11

Re: CGEM DX with C14? new [Re: snommisbor]
      #6122777 - 10/07/13 03:34 PM

The CGEM DX is a very sturdy mount/tripod. I think C14+CGEMDX would be ok for visual or planetary imaging where extreme tracking accuracy is not required. But I would not recommend it for long-exp high res DSO work with C14.

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: CGEM DX with C14? new [Re: snommisbor]
      #6122827 - 10/07/13 03:53 PM

Quote:

Well I see Celestron actually sells that set up but that just seems like you are at the outer limits of that mount and after you add the essential items to the scope it is maxed to the hilt on it. But for visual only it could work but even then how solid would it be from vibrations? I never heard of a C14 on anything smaller than a CGE

I've actually used this setup. The CGEM DX is more stable with a C14 than a G11/CGE based on my experience.

Baxstar

#6122975 - 10/07/13 04:37 PM

I won't take any images with this setup so it doesn't need to track super well. It just needs to hold the object in my FOV for 30minutes max!

Uncle Rod, thanks for your reply! Nice to know that it worked for you. And you used for C14 with all the items needed? Eyepieces (the more heavy eyepieces 400+ gram), finder etc? And do you have a nice picture of that setup?

Casper

Edited by Baxstar (10/07/13 04:42 PM)

rmollise
Postmaster

#6123138 - 10/07/13 05:22 PM

Yep, definitely had a great big eyepiece and a finder too. No, I didn't take a picture of the rig...but you can see it on Celestron's web page.

dr.who
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/05/12

#6123240 - 10/07/13 05:54 PM

Saw this combo in action (don't own it) for visual and it will work fine. Just like a Edge 1100/11" SCT will work fine on a AVX if one is willing to put up with some vibration. And that includes a 60mm finder as well as Delos (in this case Delos was used) EP's which are like hand grenades and a Losmandy rail.

The big question in my mind would be why a 14"? I ask because that is quite a big scope and to get it's full potential you will want very good skies. I was out this last weekend with my 11" and sky conditions were rubbish so I couldn't go much deeper EP wise than my 17mm Ethos with the 21mm being better. At that point I was wishing I had brought my APO.

For the price of the 14 on a DX you could get a Edge 1100 on a CGEM and a decent APO refractor in the 102-127mm range as well as some EP's and other kit which would give you a nice big light bucket for detail on small objects and a nice wide field fast scope for AP, wide field viewing, and those nights when seeing is not as good.

T1R2
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/11/13

Loc: NeverWhere
Re: CGEM DX with C14? new [Re: dr.who]
      #6123390 - 10/07/13 07:10 PM

you will soon grow weary of setting up that beast every night, you'll need reasonably steady skies, the field of view will be narrow even with a F/6.3 reducer, larger star clusters will not fit in the field of view, so you'll have a limited target range, never go by the manufactures payload capacity, cut that in half, consider the length of the OTA you choose as well, if its only for visual then why would you want to under mount it if your going to constantly be touching it, the C14 will def jiggle on the CGEM DX, so will a C11 though not as bad on the same mount, but just as bad on a VX, I'd be looking at a smaller, more fun/less work set up. The C14 has its uses, but your not going to like not being able to get the object('s) in the FOV, Had I the choices that we have today when I was starting out, I'd seriously be looking at 4-6" short focal length refractor for that CGEM, you already have a nice 9.25" Cass. a C11 would be better on that CGEM than a C14. If you do under mount, you wont be able to expand or equipment, but hey, everyone else seems to be happy under mounting, it might work for you also. good luck in your choice and be happy with whatever you get because in the end we all need to learn on our own.

sewhite

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: Georgia
Re: CGEM DX with C14? new [Re: T1R2]
      #6126883 - 10/09/13 12:17 PM

I like Dr. Who's advice of getting the CGEM-DX with a 11" Edge HD and use the remaining funds on accessories and a refactor. It would be a more versatile and easy to use kit.
Stan

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: CGEM DX with C14? new [Re: T1R2]
      #6126959 - 10/09/13 01:05 PM

Quote:

The C14 has its uses, but your not going to like not being able to get the object('s) in the FOV

That makes common sense, but common sense is often wrong. The fact is, most of the objects we look at, the vast majority, are on the small side and fit perfectly well in the field of a C14, even at f/11.

The main reason for not choosing the C14 is being able to get it on the mount. With the correct approach, that isn't overly hard. As I said before, the mount is at least better than the G11 with the C14. I do urge anyone contemplating a C14 for portable use to try before you buy.

As for the mount with a C11? I haven't noticed any "jiggle" at all with that configuraton.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
16 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 936

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics