Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Beginning and Intermediate Imaging

Pages: 1
CounterWeight
Postmaster

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Palo alto, CA.
playing with MaximDL 'mosaic' feature new
      #6119364 - 10/05/13 05:29 PM Attachment (14 downloads)

Well, too much time and too little money and clear sky department.

In my newfound interest in taking images and assembling into larger image I'd run across a link or two on Maxim that I blew by learning the 'Photoshop way'.

Last night I opened the 'Help' in maxim and typed in the keyword mosaic. One thing I should mention is that my friends in design school say mosaic an odd term as usually it is creating an image from small tiles that are not the image itself (though that can be done too) that this is more a panorama or photomerge. Just throwing that out there...

Anyway - took some understanding exactly what I was reading - in fact my second time through (first was a failure my fault) I just left the help window open and proceeded more carefully - and it worked very well! Woohoo!

Unsure if it is better to be able to combine the image and then flatten the background in Maxim or to do it in the individual panes and then assemble in Photoshop? Both seem to work quite well. Maybe there is an advantage in MaximDL as I can be certain the entire image stretched the exact same - I do most all the major stuff in MaximDL if I can. This would make my overall job far less tedious and detail oriented as if I do this pane by pane there is a lot of numbers to keep track of for the Photoshop method.

In Photoshop favor is that it is slightly more hands off, in fact totally automated. The MaximDL method requires making a new empty frame approx. 'completed size', insert images (must be opened and at convenient size for your screen to work with) and blend / 'snap', check and then save that.

I still have not been able to gather another pane on this so I used my current project of the ic405 and ic410 region. I'm now curious to try same on my pelican/NA nebula and Veil projects.

Edited by CounterWeight (10/05/13 05:31 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
wavecloud
sage

Reged: 09/22/13

Re: playing with MaximDL 'mosaic' feature new [Re: CounterWeight]
      #6119381 - 10/05/13 05:44 PM

Seems to have worked pretty niceley

rflinn68Moderator
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/09/12

Loc: Arkansas
Re: playing with MaximDL 'mosaic' feature new [Re: wavecloud]
      #6119394 - 10/05/13 05:51 PM

Very nice! Looking forward to seeing what all you can do with this. I really enjoyed your NGC 1499 image. Were you planning to add to it?

CounterWeight
Postmaster

Re: playing with MaximDL 'mosaic' feature new [Re: rflinn68]
      #6119440 - 10/05/13 06:25 PM

wavecloud, Richard - thanks! I really need to at least double the number of frames on both panes - triple would be ideal to help reduce noise in the dim stuff. I think one side has 5 frames L/H, and the R/H 6 frames.

Then repeat for the upper part!

The 1499 I am calling done for now. When / if I do over it will start as an intentional panorama.

One thought came to me while i was playing with MaximDL some more, it's possible - though i will need to do some measuring that it might be able to use less overlap than the Photoshop automated? (entirely conjecture at this time).... I need to do again to try for maximum width and see how smooth it is.

[edit - I would need to reimage to test that idea, but could just take one side]

Edited by CounterWeight (10/05/13 06:31 PM)

*skyguy*
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/31/08

Loc: Western New York
      #6119638 - 10/05/13 09:10 PM

Very nice job! The mosaic feature in MaxIm DL is one of the best around! Besides the RGB combine feature ... mosaic is the only other feature that I use In MaxIm DL.

CounterWeight
Postmaster

Re: playing with MaximDL 'mosaic' feature new [Re: *skyguy*]
      #6119712 - 10/05/13 10:01 PM

Thanks skyguy for the pointer, I am impressed with it. I was curious about the setting that needs to be 5-200 pixels and how that might affect frame transition and overlap so I set it to 200 and cannot see a boundary which is nice. There is considerable overlap here, maybe 35% or so? At least is far less obvious than the Photoshop before further processing makes that (curve following as far as I can see?) difficult to detect. I think for this project I'll try all MaximDL and see how it goes.

Madratter
Postmaster

Reged: 01/14/13

#6119761 - 10/05/13 10:43 PM

Personally, I dislike any method that requires me to write down lots of numbers. So that is a plus for Maxim DL.

I don't understand why the Photoshop method requires that, but if it does

Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: playing with MaximDL 'mosaic' feature [Re: Madratter]
      #6120832 - 10/06/13 03:54 PM

I didn't know it had that. Cool!

Pages: 1

Extra information
19 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  nitegeezer, WOBentley, dr.who, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 181

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics