Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
rockethead26
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Gravity new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #6146843 - 10/19/13 02:53 PM

Just saw the IMAX 3D version with my wife. Spectacular visuals and we both enjoyed the "simple" plot. 3D was really well done and not overused. Loved the one 3D teardrop with the reflection. Sandra Bullock was very believable. My wife almost broke my hand holding onto it a couple of times. I guess I'm glad I'm not a technical space science analyst so I can enjoy a good science fiction movie when it comes along. I feel a bit sorry for those who can't.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

Re: Gravity new [Re: David Knisely]
      #6146918 - 10/19/13 03:38 PM

Quote:

faacanders wrote:

Quote:

The difference is Fiction vs. Non-Fiction. Gravity was never meant to be historical, but they did take the effort to make the HST, STS, ISS, and the space suits look as realistic as they possibly could. Expect to be entertained, not a NASA history lesson, and you will enjoy this action packed movie.

No, the difference is between having a good story line and not having one. Babylon 5 played fast and loose with the physics of space travel, but it had a very good story line that worked. Gravity didn't. I could have thought of many ways to make that movie into something more than a typical space disaster movie (ala "Marooned"), elevating the main character into something more memorable. It didn't happen. The movie was OK, but just wasn't what I had hoped it would be because the story line was kind of weak. Clear skies to you.

As a kid I enjoyed Marooned in the theaters also.

turtle86
Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Reged: 10/09/06

Re: Gravity new [Re: rockethead26]
      #6147210 - 10/19/13 06:17 PM

Quote:

Just saw the IMAX 3D version with my wife. Spectacular visuals and we both enjoyed the "simple" plot. 3D was really well done and not overused. Loved the one 3D teardrop with the reflection. Sandra Bullock was very believable. My wife almost broke my hand holding onto it a couple of times. I guess I'm glad I'm not a technical space science analyst so I can enjoy a good science fiction movie when it comes along. I feel a bit sorry for those who can't.

I agree. Even astronauts who've seen the film, and would know better than just about anyone about any technical errors (and indeed pointed some of them out), were still able to enjoy it. Here's astronaut Garrett Reisman's take:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2013/10/17/what-does-a-real-astronaut-think...

His story about Neil Armstrong at the end is very appropriate to this thread.

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

Re: Gravity new [Re: turtle86]
      #6149782 - 10/21/13 12:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I agree. Even astronauts who've seen the film, and would know better than just about anyone about any technical errors (and indeed pointed some of them out), were still able to enjoy it. Here's astronaut Garrett Reisman's take:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2013/10/17/what-does-a-real-astronaut-think...

His story about Neil Armstrong at the end is very appropriate to this thread.

Funny that Neal Armstrong's son said he couldn't watch a space movie with his dad, because his dad would complain about any inacuracy. It's just a fictional movie - enjoy it!

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Gravity new [Re: faackanders2]
      #6150381 - 10/21/13 06:37 PM

Quote:

Funny that Neal Armstrong's son said he couldn't watch a space movie with his dad, because his dad would complain about any inacuracy. It's just a fictional movie - enjoy it!

Right on. I enjoyed the movie and frankly just don't see a downside to watching Sandra Bullock cavorting around in her skivvies.

turtle86
Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Reged: 10/09/06

Re: Gravity new [Re: rmollise]
      #6151727 - 10/22/13 01:32 PM

Quote:

Right on. I enjoyed the movie and frankly just don't see a downside to watching Sandra Bullock cavorting around in her skivvies.

One of the astronauts reviewing the film noted that having her cavorting around in her skivvies wasn't realistic, but he otherwise didn't seem to complain too much about it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2219

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics