Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Observing >> Variable Star Observing and Radio Astronomy

Pages: 1
David Gray
sage

Reged: 08/06/12

Loc: Co. Durham UK
Nova Del 2013: Some Colour Impressions.
      #6121757 - 10/07/13 06:10 AM Attachment (65 downloads)

I have not posted on this forum before so hope you will bear with me as a BAA planet-observer; but with astro (and other) interests far beyond that!

I have recently put the attached on the Sketching Forum

As with some novae I have followed in the past I have been fascinated by the colours displayed as they develop. In particular one in Vulpecula (1960/70s) came to display an intense mauve/magenta hue (pink to some). If I recall right this was ascribed as it going through the “nebular phase”. More recently one in either Cygnus or Cassiopeia became the most intensely blue star I’ve ever seen!

While conceding the subjectivity of colour perception/judgement and so on (and differences with others’ monitors and such) a few details about these impressions……

Aug 15: Creamy Yellow. Aug 19: slightly more Yellow. Aug 26: Peach! Aug 30: Buttercup Yellow.

Early Sep. it started to display hues that I struggled to name but opted for Bronze/Coppery Yellows.

Then it reddened markedly and even so could not quite equate it to the redness of carbon stars V Aql or of X Sge which was more near the nova’s brightness then.

The last observation showed a more definite difference to X Sge: it was now fainter than X but looked slightly more toward red-violet.

David

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rich (RLTYS)Moderator
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/18/04

Loc: New York (Long Island)
Re: Nova Del 2013: Some Colour Impressions. new [Re: David Gray]
      #6121794 - 10/07/13 07:03 AM

Dave. this is so cool. Keep up the good work. I observed N Del with my 10" refl on Sept 24th and I'd describe the color as a pale orange, maybe a lighter version of the color you show for the 23rd.

Rich (RLTYS)

Edited by RLTYS (10/07/13 07:13 AM)

David Gray
sage

Reged: 08/06/12

Loc: Co. Durham UK
Re: Nova Del 2013: Some Colour Impressions. new [Re: Rich (RLTYS)]
      #6121917 - 10/07/13 09:04 AM

Quote:

I observed N Del with my 10" refl on Sept 24th and I'd describe the color as a pale orange, maybe a lighter version of the color you show for the 23rd.

Many thanks Rich.

Colours on the graphic are a rough mid-point - my notes say "More yellow than X Sge". The plots on the PC range from fairly deep orange to rather red-orange.

I use stylised stars; black background in Corel Draw: vectors which can be finely adjusted in tint by holding down the Control Key and clicking on near-colours in the RGB palette.

Cheers,
Dave.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS) 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 426

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics