Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Alfonso

Reged: 12/31/11

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
A queston for Orion versago II mount owners
      #6125529 - 10/08/13 05:47 PM

I own an Orion versago II mount and have had two scopes on it: a Stellarvue 80mm f9 and an ES AR102. The mount can well handle the weight of either of these telescopes. The mount moves smoothly horizontally and vertically fine. However, when stargazing, while looking thru the eyepiece and I move the handle down, moving the front of the telescope up and then stop, the mount drops a fraction of an inch. From looking at the mount while doing this it doesn't seem to be noticed but only when actively stargazing does it appear obvious. I will be tracking something in the sky and slowly move horizontally and the mount moves smoothly, no trouble. When I move the front end of the scope up, up it goes but when I stop the front drops a very small fraction of an inch. This makes stargazing with this mount uncomfortable. I would very much prefer it had slo mo controls as the ES twilight I and other mounts do. Can any of you versago II mount owners please tell me if this happens to you and what I can do to fix it? Perhaps it's the distribution of the weight of the scope on the mount. . . I have tried to make sure it's even. Any advice or comments I would very much welcome and appreciate.
thanks all.

regards
Alfonso

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Locoman
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/09/09

Loc: Abilene, Kansas
Re: A queston for Orion versago II mount owners new [Re: Alfonso]
      #6125597 - 10/08/13 06:21 PM

I have the same mount and I haven't used it with a longer tube scope in a few months but I know what you are describing. I used the mount with my C6 SCT the other night and I really can't remember it doing it. I guess it hasn't really bothered me that much but I will test it out when I get a chance. The only thing I could suggest now is to tighten down the Altitude adjustment knob.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
27 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 118

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics