Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
timetoreflect

Reged: 09/11/13

R. A. Motor Modification new
      #6123773 - 10/07/13 11:02 PM

Hi,

I bought an 8" newt on an equatorial mount with an R. A. motor from Discovery about 12 years ago. I have recently started to attempt some deep space astrophotography with it. It quickly became obvious to me that the tracking with my setup was not good enough to get more than about 20s exposures at a time. Of course, the first thing I am going to work on is better alignment by drift method or whatever. However, with the understanding that even with the best alignment I will probably have error to correct on the R. A. axis, a possible way to address the problem is to have a variable speed (instead of indexed multispeed) control for the motor.
So, my question is does anyone know of any resources for this type of modification to an R. A. motor control?

Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: R. A. Motor Modification new [Re: timetoreflect]
      #6124835 - 10/08/13 12:35 PM

Not really. Dude, I'd skip trying to mod this mount. I'd make sure first that you can even get a camera to focus with your scope. Often these slower (f/whatever) reflectors don't have the in focus required. To make it work you are forced to move the focuser closer or the mirror closer. Finally,, at the focal length of your scope it's going to be frustrating since you won't be guiding either.

Frankly, I'd save your money, get a used CG5 on here or on AM, a nice wide field refractor like a ED80, and get a simple guiding setup with a finder guider rig from Orion. For a camera I'd get a canon of some type. You'll also need a laptop of some type to control it all.

I'm not trying to be negative. I went through this process over the last 15 years, and it really takes so,e basic equipment to make AP happen. People used to do it on less but the number of people who did it were few and far between.

Good luck,

timetoreflect

Reged: 09/11/13

Re: R. A. Motor Modification [Re: Raginar]
      #6125935 - 10/08/13 09:51 PM

Raginar,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I actually expected that type of feedback (and lamenting that it might be the case). I have been researching mounts, options and I will probably end up getting an entirely new scope.
I appreciate your feedback.

Pages: 1

Extra information
17 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 189

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics