Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> DSLR & Digital Camera Astro Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1
Mr Greybush
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/16/13

Loc: Virginia
finally able to start SLR new
      #6128088 - 10/09/13 11:18 PM

I know this may sound stupid but if I don't ask I'll never know the answer. I have 2 scopes 8" and the 80ed refractor on a wedge. I can't afford an eq mount for now till I finish paying for what I have right now. Should I strictly image with the 80 or use the 8". The F/R is closely the same 6.3 and 7 as most of you all know and I'm thinking that I would decent results after some experience using the 80mm rather than using the other? What do you guys/gals think? I know regardless I've never given up on anything in my life and I've had my own battles and if I can conquer kidney disease I can conquer imaging( with time)! Thanks for the advice

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ZeroID
sage

Reged: 04/21/10

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
Re: finally able to start SLR new [Re: Mr Greybush]
      #6128122 - 10/09/13 11:36 PM

Moon and planetary imaging are possible but without an EQ mount for tracking the long exposures needed for deep sky objects will limit you capabilities. Widefeild 20 second are feasible also. And you could build a simple barn door mount to extend that to several minute exposures.
You sound like you have the will to find a solution for now, go for it !
And have fun...

mmalik
Postmaster

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
Re: finally able to start SLR [Re: Mr Greybush]
      #6128459 - 10/10/13 07:26 AM

Quote:

I'm thinking that I would get decent results after some experience using the 80mm rather than using the other?

I agree; 80mm refractor would be a good start. I for one prefer refractors over reflectors for imaging. Regards

shawnhar
Postmaster

Reged: 06/25/10

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Re: finally able to start SLR new [Re: mmalik]
      #6129424 - 10/10/13 04:24 PM

Yes you will get better results on the 80, but the 8" will frame most objects better and have more resolution on the target. Can you guide with the CPC800 on a wedge?
Even if not, with (really)good drift alignment you should be able to get 1 minute or maybe 90 sec subs and keep most of them, lots of bright targest do well.
Good luck!

Pages: 1

Extra information
7 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, fishonkevin, WOBentley, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 139

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics