Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> DSLR & Digital Camera Astro Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
averen
Vendor Main Sequence Software

Reged: 01/20/09

Loc: Austin TX
Re: Why no Nikons? new [Re: ccs_hello]
      #5901372 - 06/04/13 09:43 AM

Quote:

Nikon DSLRs' SDK (AFAIK) is now free.

They are free, however they are now where near as nice and easy to implement as Canon's SDK. I assume this is likely a reason that there isn't a lot of Nikon software out there. Canon seems to put a good amount of effort into their SDK where is seems like it's an after though with Nikon.

Jared

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Duka Istvan

Reged: 03/21/13

Re: Why no Nikons? new [Re: averen]
      #5901466 - 06/04/13 10:35 AM

Hi, i'm the developer of digiCamControl, i want to clarify a thing with D3200 it is true this model isn't supported by the nikon SDK but this model can be controlled via MPT/PTP command and my software support almost same way like D5100.

BTW i started to add to digiCamControl some basic astro features like bulb mode for D800/D600/D5200/D7100 and for other models via serial communication port. I'm open to any feature suggestion.

ccs_hello
Postmaster

Reged: 07/03/04

Re: Why no Nikons? new [Re: Duka Istvan]
      #5902564 - 06/04/13 08:21 PM

Duka,

Thanks for the info and a big welcome to Cloudy Nights!

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

brave_ulysses

Reged: 04/19/09

Loc: far outside the wire
      #5903593 - 06/05/13 10:41 AM

hi duka,

i recently found this and it looks like a great piece of software. i'd be interested in a native linux version and bulb exposures.

thanks!

clay

Duka Istvan

Reged: 03/21/13

Re: Why no Nikons? new [Re: brave_ulysses]
      #5904062 - 06/05/13 02:29 PM

Quote:

hi duka,

i recently found this and it looks like a great piece of software. i'd be interested in a native linux version and bulb exposures.

clay

This software use a lot of Microsoft technology for camera control and for user interface so isn't possible to port it to a another OS (mac or linux).

ZR WON

Reged: 06/17/10

Loc: Indiana
Re: Why no Nikons? new [Re: Duka Istvan]
      #5909476 - 06/08/13 10:07 AM

Duka:

Thanks so much for this software! I downloaded your software and have done some testing with my D7000 in the house and all seems well, sans the 'bulb' mode. One thing that works is to manually set the camera to 'bulb' and then use the Nikon remote control for shutter operation. The software controls the rest of the camera functions and hitting that button, while it will likely grow slightly tiring on longer exposures, seems like a reasonable 'temporary' fix. What is it specifically about the D7000 that you cannot control the 'bulb' function with your software? Thanks again, I can't wait to try it out on my scope in the coming days

Brian A.

Smiling Chicken Observatory

dasams

Reged: 01/07/12

Loc: NorCal
Re: Why no Nikons? new [Re: ZR WON]
      #5910163 - 06/08/13 05:38 PM

Quote:

Duka:

What is it specifically about the D7000 that you cannot control the 'bulb' function with your software?

The firmware on the newer Nikons is configured to allow bulb control via the usb cable whereas older Nikons require use of the 10 pin connector. Hence, you'll need a second cable and a program such as DSLR Shutter. There's a post above which lists which cameras allow usb control of the shutter. Dave

Joepie

Reged: 10/15/12

Re: Why no Nikons? new [Re: dasams]
      #5991220 - 07/26/13 12:36 PM

Alright, so my sis wants to buy my 1100D and I'm thinking about buying a D3200/D5200 again... 1100D's noise is bad and resolution's a bit low too.

Footbag
Postmaster

Reged: 04/13/09

Loc: Scranton, PA
Re: Why no Nikons? new [Re: Joepie]
      #5991231 - 07/26/13 12:45 PM

Quote:

Alright, so my sis wants to buy my 1100D and I'm thinking about buying a D3200/D5200 again... 1100D's noise is bad and resolution's a bit low too.

These days, performance differences between brands will be hard to see. Canon may be slightly behind with sensor tech, but I think the convenience of software solutions would make up for that. Of course BackyardNIK is coming and that will change things.

I wouldn't call the 1100D's noise performance bad, nor would I even bother taking resolution into account. All current DSLR's will have more then enough resolution. Purpose built astronomy CCD's will have larger pixels and lower resolution and this is a good thing.

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

Reged: 01/22/08

Loc: Under the clouds!
Re: Why no Nikons? new [Re: Footbag]
      #5991519 - 07/26/13 03:34 PM

The Nikon D5100 is probably your best bet for noise; it has an awesome Sony sensor.

The Nikon D3200 should be at the bottom of the list. The D3### series can not be tethered via software using the Nikon SDK so software is even more limited with this model.

The Nikon D5200 has a new Tochiba sensor and the jury is still out on these one.

The Canon 1100D is actually a good astro-performer. The noise level is on the low side compared to other Canon models.
http://ghonis2.ho8.com/T3iReview/T3iReview.html

Good luck,

Guylain

Joepie

Reged: 10/15/12

Re: Why no Nikons? new [Re: guyroch]
      #6009395 - 08/06/13 12:46 PM

Just bought a Nikon D5100 Couldn't ignore spending only 157 euros. We'll see.

WillCarney
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/08/09

Loc: Bloomington, ILL
      #6127007 - 10/09/13 01:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I didn't know there was an embargo.

Not quite.
Majority of older Nikon DSLRs up to D40x (D40x, I think) were using CCD image sensor. They employed a non-defeatable older version of the Hot Pixel Suppression (HPS) algorithm, nick named star eater. Thus the ugly "mode 3" method to bypass the HPS step is required.
In that era, N made it very difficult to get its SDK while Nikon's own tethering software costs a lot.

The situation has changed quite a bit...
Recent Nikon DSLRs are all using CMOS sensors (less heat generated to make Liveview possible) and are using a refined version HPS algorithm with less Pacman-like behavior.
Nikon DSLRs' SDK (AFAIK) is now free.

N still has add few minor "tint" and intentional crippling (e.g., no lossless NEF) on lower end gears. Talented Nikonhacker(s) are removing some of them.
It is looking nicer and nicer. D5100 (using SONY Exmor IMX071) IMHO is very nice. Several days ago, refurb model was selling at $429 with a kit 18-55 VR lens included, $5 shipping (see here! Now sold out, of course.) Clear Skies! ccs_hello

My D40x allows you to take a noise reducer photo but it DOES NOT force you to. You have to go to the menu and choose to take one. You can see a few of my posts taken with my full spectrum D40x. There are no stars dropped at all unless it's done with Nebulosity3 or DSS. I tested a T1i, T2i and 5DMarkii Canons and several Pentax DSLR. My Nikon does great and even beats some of the others in noise levels. Right now I use the IR remote and have not gotten around to laptop control. William

dkbender
sage

Reged: 09/26/13

Loc: Illinois
Re: Why no Nikons? new [Re: WillCarney]
      #6127237 - 10/09/13 03:13 PM

Good to know that the Sony IMX071 sensor in my Nikon D7000 is a good one. My D700 full frame sensor is even better, in normal photography.

Would love to see a Nikon version of Back Yard come to market.

From what I can tell currently, TetherPro and Images Plus should work at some level. Will continue to mush on.

TimN
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/20/08

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Why no Nikons? new [Re: dkbender]
      #6128598 - 10/10/13 09:16 AM

I believe BackyardNik is coming out late this year or early next year. However, Sequence Generator Pro now supports Nikon. I used to use TetherPro with my D5100 but I really like the many extra features of SGP. Its certainly nice to have some choices for us Nikon users.

snommisbor
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/15/09

Loc: Cedar Park, TX
Re: Why no Nikons? [Re: TimN]
      #6128665 - 10/10/13 09:47 AM

I have too much nice glass to justify switching so it would be nice. Im a Nikon user and a Mac user so I really dont have a whole lot of options. So for now it is PHD and The Sky X which is great for getting me to target and then running my intervolmeter on my D700 to capture to the CF card.

dkbender
sage

Re: Why no Nikons? new [Re: snommisbor]
      #6129017 - 10/10/13 12:40 PM

Quote:

I have too much nice glass to justify switching so it would be nice. Im a Nikon user and a Mac user so I really dont have a whole lot of options. So for now it is PHD and The Sky X which is great for getting me to target and then running my intervolmeter on my D700 to capture to the CF card.

ahhh....!!! another D700 user! I just love my D700 for regular photography. How does it do for AP?? I'm just getting started and also have a D7000, which everyone seems to really like the Sony sensor in it.

snommisbor
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/15/09

Loc: Cedar Park, TX
Re: Why no Nikons? new [Re: dkbender]
      #6129035 - 10/10/13 12:49 PM Attachment (7 downloads)

It a full frame sensor so you get excellent high ISO properties even though I still try to shoot around 800 to 1250. It does show vignetting due to the large sensor but I have been very pleased with it. I have taken some great wide field images as well as the witches broom just this past Monday. It turned out pretty good, I am sure I can improve it just through processing but it was the first time I ever did where you do a luminosity file then blend with a RGB. but shooting wide field with my 200-400 f/4 or 50 f1.8 is great.

dkbender
sage

#6129091 - 10/10/13 01:18 PM

Quote:

It a full frame sensor so you get excellent high ISO properties even though I still try to shoot around 800 to 1250. It does show vignetting due to the large sensor but I have been very pleased with it. I have taken some great wide field images as well as the witches broom just this past Monday. It turned out pretty good, I am sure I can improve it just through processing but it was the first time I ever did where you do a luminosity file then blend with a RGB. but shooting wide field with my 200-400 f/4 or 50 f1.8 is great.

Beautiful photo! Can you give me the particulars on which lens and maybe a little bit more on the processing?

I plan on trying prime focus with my 100mm Apo.... and then with some of my Nikkor lens piggybacked on the scope.... in particular, the AFS 300mm f/4, the AFS 85mm f/1.4G and the AFS 14-24mm f/2.8. I also have the TC-14E II that I use with the 300mm for capturing wildlife, I thought since that works so well with that lens, that the combination might be worth a try.

guyroch
Vendor (BackyardEOS)

Reged: 01/22/08

Loc: Under the clouds!
      #6129113 - 10/10/13 01:30 PM

Quote:

The Nikon D7000 is NOT a full frame sensor. It has the same Sony sensor as the D5100.

EDIT: Oops... I think you meant the D700... in that case it is a full frame sensor.

Sorry for the confusion

Guylain

Edited by guyroch (10/10/13 01:31 PM)

dkbender
sage

Re: Why no Nikons? new [Re: guyroch]
      #6129134 - 10/10/13 01:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The Nikon D7000 is NOT a full frame sensor. It has the same Sony sensor as the D5100.

EDIT: Oops... I think you meant the D700... in that case it is a full frame sensor.

Sorry for the confusion

Guylain

Hello Guylain!

I have both the D700 & D7000. I was glad to read your liking of the D7000 Sony IMX071 sensor! That encouraged me. I was asking Rob about his experience with the D700, since it is Nikons sensor design. That FF sensor works REALLY well in regular photography, but I didn't have any input yet on how it will do in AP.

By the way, just to let you know, I'm anxiously awaiting BackYardNik. Are we getting close?? Many thanks!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
13 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, fishonkevin, WOBentley, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2314

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics