Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
tom63

Reged: 08/15/13

Loc: Munich / Germany / Europe
Takahashi EM 200 USD III - Need Help
      #6131847 - 10/11/13 07:48 PM

hello forum,

wondering if somebody in this forum could give me a little help with my em 200.

some years ago i bought the em 200 usd3 new at my local tak dealer. at this time he told me upgrading the mount with encoders etc. wouldn't be a big thing. when i asked for this a week ago he now said 'no no today there isn't any possibility' the only thing he offered to me was a koch fs2 and escap-motors ...

my question - is he right does takahashi deliver the upgrade no more - don't they have spare parts for the temma/temma jr. clients with defects ...

thanks in advance
tom

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Takahashi EM 200 USD III - Need Help new [Re: tom63]
      #6131925 - 10/11/13 08:32 PM

Texas Nautical Repair (the US importer) has a great deal of product knowledge and Art is easy to talk to. I know that you might have time zone conflicts so if you can't call TNR I'd be glad to call them Monday and see what they have to say about this.

Jesus Munoz
sage

Reged: 03/09/07

Loc: Querétaro, México
Re: Takahashi EM 200 USD III - Need Help new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #6132292 - 10/12/13 12:15 AM

If you don't care to do push-to gotos then you can purchase an Argo Navis computer with its encoders from Teleskope-Service (German dealer of Wildcard Innovations).

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: Takahashi EM 200 USD III - Need Help new [Re: Jesus Munoz]
      #6132796 - 10/12/13 10:58 AM

the dealer is right in that Takahashi no longer offers an upgrade from USD III to temma2. so in that regard, it really is tough luck.

But TNR might have some conversion kits still lying around.

tom63

Re: Takahashi EM 200 USD III - Need Help new [Re: orlyandico]
      #6133276 - 10/12/13 03:28 PM

ooops ... this was quick to get response

@ john c
hello john, this is a very generous offer from you!!! and i would really much appreciate to get the information from your tak-representative art. because this will be a decision for me spending lots of money for a new mount (eg. ap mach 1, asa ddm60 or 10micron gm1000hps) or updating my like new em200. thanks in advance. tom

@jesus
thank you for your advice - will have a look at teleskope-service - despite i really want a manufacturer solution. the very very funny thing is you gave me the tip from mexico and i live just 20 miles from where teleskop-express is. funny small world we've got with internet thank you jesus

@orlyandico
ok - so but shouldn't they have spare-parts for all the temma and temma jr. owners - hmmmmm. thanks for the info

tom63

Re: Takahashi EM 200 USD III - Need Help new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #6134943 - 10/13/13 12:45 PM

ooops ... this was quick to get response

@ john c
hello john, this is a very generous offer from you!!! and i would really much appreciate to get the information from your tak-representative art. because this will be a decision for me spending lots of money for a new mount (eg. ap mach 1, asa ddm60 or 10micron gm1000hps) or updating my like new em200. thanks in advance. tom

@jesus
thank you for your advice - will have a look at teleskope-service - despite i really want a manufacturer solution. the very very funny thing is you gave me the tip from mexico and i live just 20 miles from where teleskop-express is. funny small world we've got with internet thank you jesus

@orlyandico
ok - so but shouldn't they have spare-parts for all the temma and temma jr. owners - hmmmmm. thanks for the info

Hans1

Reged: 08/27/08

Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #6171277 - 11/01/13 11:53 PM

Takahashi Japan does do conversions from USD to Temma2M but it isn't cheap and you have to send the mount back to Japan.

Excuse the Google translation but you should get the idea from the following.

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev...

Models to be modified
Cost of remodeling (tax included) in JPN YEN

EM-11 Temma2Jr.
¥ 241,500

EM-200
EM-200 USD
EM-200 USDII
EM-200 USD3
EM-200 TemmaPCJr.
EM-200 Temma2Jr.
(I will also exchange declination body)
¥ 357,000

EM-200 Temma
¥ 294,000

EM-200 TemmaPC
¥ 252,000

EM-200 Temma2
¥ 182,700

EM-400 Temma2
¥ 161,700

I am contemplating this conversion for my EM200 USDII

Edited by Hans1 (11/02/13 12:00 AM)

tom63

Re: Takahashi EM 200 USD III - Need Help new [Re: Hans1]
      #6171782 - 11/02/13 11:38 AM

hello hans,

thanx for all the options and prices

my usd3 has the same electronic box the temma jr. has - just missing the two encoders that are easy to retrofit - and must be availible as spare parts.

so - i wouldn't think 1 minute about this 'friendly offer from japan'

what's your opinion ...

best regards
tom

tomcody
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/06/08

Loc: Titusville, Florida
      #6171822 - 11/02/13 11:57 AM

Tom,
I think it is more than the two encoders, I know a guy that had his USDIII up graded to temma and they changed the entire box out also. ( I know because I bought the control box for spare parts).
I think you could sell the mount and apply the money to a new temma 2 mount and be better off as you would have a warrantee on the new mount.

Also there was a couple threads one or two years ago about people seeking repairs for NJP's and the end result was that due to lack of spare parts, they had to go back to japan for repair.
Rex

tom63

Re: Takahashi EM 200 USD III - Need Help new [Re: tomcody]
      #6172075 - 11/02/13 02:38 PM

rex,

maybe they upgraded his mount not to temma jr. but to the actual new temma version where the box is different.

and yes i'm already on the way selling the mount - see my classifieds

buying a new temma is not an option to me. they want about 5000-6000 euro for something that is 95% what i have. the mount i think would meet my needs best ist the 10micron 1000hps - the price is 9500 euro - not really a gift ... but completely different from em 200 usd3 i have ... will see ...

kind regards
tom

Hans1

Reged: 08/27/08

Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #6172210 - 11/02/13 04:18 PM

Hi Tom,

The response I received from Art Ciampi (TNR) to a similar question I posted on the Astromart Forum back in 2010 regarding upgrading my EM200 USDII to Temma2 (not Temma2M which is a totally different upgrade) made me think that all that was required was a set of Encoders, Encoder Couplings and Encoder Brackets. Apparently the USDII has soldered connections and the USD3 has plug in connectors so it is easier to upgrade the USD3 mount if all you need is encoders and hardware and if you can actually get hold of the parts. At the time I posted the question, 2010, Art did mention that TNR did have the parts to convert a USD3. Maybe your only hope is to try and get in touch with Art or Fred at TNR. I am not sure if TNR will provide any support outside CONUS but it can't hurt to ask. Goodluck Tom

Pages: 1

Extra information
26 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 503

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics