Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Observing >> Solar System Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)
MessiToM
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/21/09

Loc: Huntingdon PA
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: BrooksObs]
      #6208800 - 11/22/13 04:43 AM

ISON and ENCKE in STEREO_A's fov
Gif

http://spaceweather.com/images2013/22nov13/encke_ison_crop_srem_lr.gif?PHPSES...

Edited by MessiToM (11/22/13 04:44 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
aa6ww
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/23/11

Loc: Sacramento, Calif.
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #6210684 - 11/23/13 03:57 AM

Its nice to know some out here are using telescopes to observe these comets instead of just binoculars. On weekdays its tough to get up and set up a scope when we have to go to work. Plus its getting so darn cold lately.
On weekends though. I gotta make my observations with a scope.
Again, its so darn cold now, the quick set up gear seems to be favored.

Lovejoy is looking real good now, since it gets fairly high now, and is sporting a nice size tail.

......Ralph

Quote:

Finally, me with my 10 inch reflector in my backyard:

djeber2
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/02/04

Loc: Cloudy Midwest
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: aa6ww]
      #6210806 - 11/23/13 07:36 AM

Got out and say Lovejoy this morning in 15x70 binocs. ISON was too low and in some low clouds and haze, I could not pick it out. Saw a short tail on Lovejoy from my suburban location.

Mike C
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/05/08

Loc: Cornwall, UK
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: djeber2]
      #6211324 - 11/23/13 12:45 PM

It was clear on Friday night (and hopefully tonight, too ), so I was able to view Comet Lovejoy. Sky transparency was good, but the waning gibbous Moon was high. Nevertheless, after first sighting it in Canes Venatici in 7 x 50mm binoculars, I was pleased to be able to see Lovejoy with the naked eye via averted vision.

I set up the Meade ED 127mm 'scope for observation (and imaging). The coma was bright, but smaller and much more concentrated than when I last saw it through a 'scope. The tail stretched across the 17mm Plossl field of view (56x).

I hope to have another look tonight - the Moon will have waned more, of course, but will be closer to Lovejoy, although the latter is heading North. Sky transparency looks to be poorer though, unfortunately.

Regards,

djeber2
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/02/04

Loc: Cloudy Midwest
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Mike C]
      #6212760 - 11/24/13 08:32 AM

I did not try for ISON today due to forecasted clouds but I wonder if it is now too low to the horizon for most of us?

Alsterling

Reged: 07/07/13

#6213194 - 11/24/13 12:28 PM

Clear skies Sunday morning Nov 24, N53.5 W113.5 but no ISON:

Although the atmosphere was not pristine, it was pretty
good, with just a bit of mottling and thin horizontal layers, and temperature only at the freezing point!

Mercury at a bright mag -0.7 was fun to watch through binoculars. It was writhing and changing colors from dim white to bright red, enough that at first we thought it was an antenna light. After a while, we picked up Saturn at mag +0.6, *way* fainter than Mercury. I could see its motion against the distant communication tower. Then came mag 2.7 alpha Librae (Zubenelgenubi) noticeable one degree up (real degrees, not refracted altitude). These 3 allowed us to trianguate ISON. Try and try we did all the way to 7:40 (14:40 UT) with ISON at 3.5 degrees altitude and the Sun -5.4 degrees. By that point alpha Librae was pretty much lost. So ISON ain't bright!

Mirzam
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/08

Loc: Lovettsville, VA
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Alsterling]
      #6213610 - 11/24/13 04:55 PM

Over on Spaceweather.com there is a photo from a gentleman in Spain that pretty much says it all. Very tough to see ISON at this point and mighty low in elevation. Not looking too bright either.

JimC

Dave M
Postmaster

Reged: 08/03/04

Loc: Ohio
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Mirzam]
      #6214442 - 11/25/13 03:59 AM

Got my first view of Comet Lovejoy this morning 3:30am EST.
Very easy in the Vixen Foresta 7 x 50`s and regardless of the moon interference and local light pollution.

aa6ww
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Dave M]
      #6214463 - 11/25/13 04:53 AM

Now its a waiting game for us and ISON. I hope it survives. This is pretty fun stuff, waiting for the big show. So far ISON has been pretty good. It took awhile to live up to the hype but its been good so far.
All these comets have been great but the classic looking ones with the long tails are the most fun to look at.
Lets keep our fingers crossed and hope we get part two of the big ISON show very soon.

...Ralph

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
      #6214488 - 11/25/13 06:01 AM

I observed Comet C/2013 R1 (Lovejoy) again this morning from my red zone backyard at approximately 5:20 a.m. EST (10:20 UT) using Celestron Ultima 10x50 and Burgess Optical 15x70 binoculars. Despite the light from the 54% illuminated Moon and local light pollution, the comet was easily seen through the 15x70s. It resembled an unresolved globular cluster and was positioned north of the location of the spiral galaxy M63, which was not visible, and the sixth-magnitude star 19 Canes Venaticorum.

http://media.skyandtelescope.com/documents/Comets_Ison_Lovejoy_LateNov.pdf

I also took a look at the bright open clusters M44, which was almost overhead between the Moon and Jupiter, and M35 with the 15x70s.

Dave Mitsky

Aquarellia
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/27/12

Loc: Provence, France
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #6214492 - 11/25/13 06:07 AM Attachment (34 downloads)

Waiting for ISON we forget a little bit to have a look at Lovejoy. Lovejoy is very interesting and better placed for the northern hemisphere. This morning despite the moon light we can detect Lovejoy with unaided eye. Via binoculars 7x50 itís very easy to see the tail. Here a sketch made at the EP of a telescope, the deal was to determine the colour, which was not so easy.
About the new comet C/2013 V3 (Nevski), no success, this one was much to close to the moon for any observation.
Michel

Edited by Aquarellia (11/25/13 06:10 AM)

Peter Natscher
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/28/06

Loc: Central Coast California
      #6214917 - 11/25/13 11:34 AM

Observed Comet Lovejoy early this morning at 4:30am PST using my 24" StarStructure Dob with 21 Ethos and 8 Delos. Lovejoy showed a nice degree-long tail filling the entire fov in my 21 Ethos at 109X even with a bright last quarter Moon lighting up the sky. Transparency is now very good here on the Pacific coast in central California with rare low humidity of 50% for this time of year. Lovejoy also showed some extended uneven brightening protruding out of the S. side of the coma frontal curve. This brighter area covered half of the leading coma. Could this be a jet? A tiny white stellar core was visible with my 8 Delos at 289X.

Edited by Peter Natscher (11/25/13 11:36 AM)

Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03

Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Aquarellia]
      #6219278 - 11/27/13 12:55 PM

Michel,

Very nice! I like that "classic" look--we're lucky to have a comet like this one around to view.

Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03

Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Peter Natscher]
      #6219285 - 11/27/13 12:58 PM

Peter,

Nice observation and description. You should look at this sketch by Wes Stone. He made it on the 24th from Oregon.

SteveRosenow
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/10/12

Loc: Shelton, Washington
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Special Ed]
      #6220276 - 11/27/13 08:43 PM

I visually observed C/2013 R1 with my 8" SCT three nights ago after a two-hour imaging run. Using a 40mm eyepiece, then switching it down to a 17mm Series 4000 Super Plossl, I noticed some definite structure and as many have noted, a small stellar core. Unfortunately, though, the weather here has taken a turn for the worse.

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: SteveRosenow]
      #6220780 - 11/28/13 06:19 AM

This morning I observed Comet Lovejoy for the seventh time from my red zone backyard using Celestron Regal 8x42, Celestron Ultima 10x50, and Burgess Optical 15x70 binoculars. Conditions were poor. It was windy and cold and the sky was a patchwork of rapidly moving clouds.

The fifth-magnitude comet was visible through the 8x42s but was best seen through the 15x70s. It was positioned about seven degrees southeast of the second-magnitude B3 V star Alkaid (Eta Ursae Majoris), the easternmost star in the handle of the Big Dipper, as illustrated in the current finder chart posted at http://media.skyandtelescope.com/documents/Comets_Ison_Lovejoy_LateNov.pdf

I also viewed the bright open clusters M44 and M35, the only deep-sky objects visible from my horizon-challenged patio enclosure at the time, with the 10x50s and 15x70s.

Dave Mitsky

aa6ww
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #6222792 - 11/29/13 03:59 AM

Now that ISON is toast, it looks like Lovejoy will be our focus now, for upcoming comets. ISON was very fun to watch come into view, and watch even as it was observable in the early morning. I'm glad i spent so much time observing it, but lovejoy is definitely no slouch!!

...Ralph

qianniu
sage

Reged: 05/05/07

Loc: Columbus, OH
      #6222795 - 11/29/13 04:04 AM

Do you not know that ISON likely survived the "toast" and the entire world is waiting to see what show it will put up there. This is much fun!

aa6ww
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: qianniu]
      #6222851 - 11/29/13 05:36 AM

I read a report from CNN that part of it may have survived an hr or so ago. I doubt the entire world is waiting, or even knows what we are talking about. The astronomical world absolutely.

I agree though, its definitely some fun times!!

...Ralph

LivingNDixie
TSP Chowhound

Reged: 04/23/03

Loc: Trussville, AL
      #6223353 - 11/29/13 12:46 PM

Spaceweather.com is saying that it could be a naked eye object on Dec or Dec 3. Either way if the skies are clear I will be out with 10X50s in hand.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15942

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics