Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Observing >> Solar System Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)
aa6ww
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/23/11

Loc: Sacramento, Calif.
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: aa6ww]
      #6139053 - 10/15/13 01:25 PM

I managed to see both ISON and ENCKE last sat night using my C11. Both were very dim, but not so difficult to find, since Encke was just a few degs from Alpha Lynx, and ISON is beside Mars.

Both were found at about 100x using my 26 nagler, and both looked their best at about 140x using my 20 Nagler.. Not lots of details on either, but both very fun and exciting to finally locate.
I think during the next new moon, both should be visible in smaller scopes. At this point, compared to PannStarr and Lemon, both should be much more enjoyable to observe because we wont be racing to see these before the sun sets. Both, along with Lovejoy, should all make nice telescope late night comets very soon, instead of early morning comets.

....Ralph in Sac.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BrooksObs
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/08/12

#6139117 - 10/15/13 01:51 PM

Astrocy - the trick at this stage of the game is to look for something with the general appearance of a small M33. P/Encke shows essentially zero condensation with big binoculars at the moment, being just a totally diffuse mass of very low surface brightness. Next month it will progressively shrink in size, become significantly more condensed and decidedly brighter as it approaches the Sun.

BrooksObs

astrocy

Reged: 11/28/09

Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: BrooksObs]
      #6139960 - 10/15/13 10:42 PM

This morning I managed to see 2P/Encke in the same field as 21 LMi. It appeared quite faint, but it was just visible with direct vision in 15x70 binoculars. Averted vision helped and showed it as a small nebulous object with low surface brightness and no significant central condensation.

Wes Stone

Reged: 05/20/03

Loc: Chiloquin, OR
      #6140115 - 10/16/13 12:16 AM

I observed these three comets between moonset and twilight on the morning of October 15. It was 23 degrees F, but felt a lot colder. Limiting magnitude was 6.8-6.9 overhead, but there was a slight milky look lower on the horizon, and patches of river fog sometimes drifted by down at ISON's altitude. The zodiacal light was very bright just before the start of astronomical twilight.

I went for C/2013 R1 (Lovejoy) first, as it was in a more transparent area of the sky. It was a quick and easy starhop from Delta Monocerotis, and obvious in my 10" Dob at all powers. Lovejoy seemed a bit less condensed (DC=3 with a very faint stellar nucleus) than it did 10 days ago. There was a parabolic inner coma about 1.5' across, brighter on the edges and spreading into a short, broad fan in PA~300. This was surrounded by a large, diffuse halo that was round and about 5' in diameter as seen through the 10" Dob. I estimated Lovejoy's magnitude at 10.0.

I also managed to see Lovejoy through 10x42 binoculars. It was just a very faint hazy spot perhaps 9' in diameter. With binoculars, I estimated the magnitude as 9.0.

Comet 2P/Encke has also changed since my last observation. It has gotten quite a bit brighter and a little more condensed. Encke was quite easy in 10x42 binoculars, appearing as a round little blob about 10' in diameter with soft edges and a slightly brighter center. I estimated its magnitude as 8.1.

In the 10" Dob at 47x, Encke showed a small central condensation near the western edge of a slightly lopsided coma. Several faint jets curved out to form a fan to the east, including a central spine about 7' long in PA~80. The longer I looked, the more prominent the jets appeared against the faint glow of the coma.

Once again, I saved C/2012 S1 (ISON) for last. After a starhop from Mars, I found the comet in a sparse telescopic star field. The comet was near the center of a misshapen pentagon of 10th-magnitude stars. ISON has grown and brightened in the past 10 days, and this morning I was able to see a stellar nucleus for the first time. At 47x, I estimated the coma diameter as 4' and the tail length as 10' centered in PA 290. Coma magnitude was 10.0. At 165x, the tail was brighter along the central spine and on its southern edge. I was not able to see ISON in binoculars.

I sketched all 3 comets (Encke very roughly), but I probably won't get them posted to my website for a week or so due to work and vacation.

--
Wes Stone
Chiloquin, OR
http://skytour.homestead.com

aa6ww
professor emeritus

Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Wes Stone]
      #6140266 - 10/16/13 04:04 AM

Chiloquin, OR is showing as been in the green zone, borderline in the black zone. What color zone are you in?
Im trying to gauge what size optics are able to see these comets based on color zones. This could be why some can see these objects in 70mm binoculars, and some can barely see them in 10" scopes.
23deg seems very cold to me. Ive observed in colder weather but have been ready for it. I caught myself during the last new moon freezing in weather only into the high 30's. Myself and one other I was observing with both were caught off guard by how the temperature fell drastically after maybe 2am.
Next time we will definitely bring our cold weather gear, including propane heaters.

...Ralph

Quote:

I observed these three comets between moonset and twilight on the morning of October 15. It was 23 degrees F, but felt a lot colder. Limiting magnitude was 6.8-6.9 overhead, but there was a slight milky look lower on the horizon, and patches of river fog sometimes drifted by down at ISON's altitude. The zodiacal light was very bright just before the start of astronomical twilight.

I went for C/2013 R1 (Lovejoy) first, as it was in a more transparent area of the sky. It was a quick and easy starhop from Delta Monocerotis, and obvious in my 10" Dob at all powers. Lovejoy seemed a bit less condensed (DC=3 with a very faint stellar nucleus) than it did 10 days ago. There was a parabolic inner coma about 1.5' across, brighter on the edges and spreading into a short, broad fan in PA~300. This was surrounded by a large, diffuse halo that was round and about 5' in diameter as seen through the 10" Dob. I estimated Lovejoy's magnitude at 10.0.

I also managed to see Lovejoy through 10x42 binoculars. It was just a very faint hazy spot perhaps 9' in diameter. With binoculars, I estimated the magnitude as 9.0.

Comet 2P/Encke has also changed since my last observation. It has gotten quite a bit brighter and a little more condensed. Encke was quite easy in 10x42 binoculars, appearing as a round little blob about 10' in diameter with soft edges and a slightly brighter center. I estimated its magnitude as 8.1.

In the 10" Dob at 47x, Encke showed a small central condensation near the western edge of a slightly lopsided coma. Several faint jets curved out to form a fan to the east, including a central spine about 7' long in PA~80. The longer I looked, the more prominent the jets appeared against the faint glow of the coma.

Once again, I saved C/2012 S1 (ISON) for last. After a starhop from Mars, I found the comet in a sparse telescopic star field. The comet was near the center of a misshapen pentagon of 10th-magnitude stars. ISON has grown and brightened in the past 10 days, and this morning I was able to see a stellar nucleus for the first time. At 47x, I estimated the coma diameter as 4' and the tail length as 10' centered in PA 290. Coma magnitude was 10.0. At 165x, the tail was brighter along the central spine and on its southern edge. I was not able to see ISON in binoculars.

I sketched all 3 comets (Encke very roughly), but I probably won't get them posted to my website for a week or so due to work and vacation.

--
Wes Stone
Chiloquin, OR

Roger Corbett

Reged: 03/07/13

#6140912 - 10/16/13 01:19 PM

This is a marvelous idea for a thread...

Thanks to the reports here, I can stay in bed in the mornings! Let me know when a small dob can see something under less than ideal skies!

-------------------------

OK, all kidding aside, the idea of ISON, Regulus, and Mars being so close together was tempting me--now, I'll know, to expect only Mars and Regulus from where I live! In the meantime, I'll enjoy simulated views of ISON going around the Sun in the Sky Safari app.

Wes Stone

Reged: 05/20/03

Loc: Chiloquin, OR
      #6141668 - 10/16/13 07:45 PM

Quote:

Chiloquin, OR is showing as been in the green zone, borderline in the black zone. What color zone are you in?
Im trying to gauge what size optics are able to see these comets based on color zones. This could be why some can see these objects in 70mm binoculars, and some can barely see them in 10" scopes.
23deg seems very cold to me. Ive observed in colder weather but have been ready for it.

Ralph,

I'd consider my yard to be in the lighter blue (Bortle 3)zone on the ClearDarkSky Light Pollution Map. Near the horizon, it is more like Bortle 4, but the high altitude and usually dry air make it pretty good overall.

I'm imagining trying to view ISON in early December when it is 0 degrees with two feet of snow on the ground. Not a given, but certainly possible here. Or it could just be cloudy for weeks on end.

Wes Stone
Chiloquin, OR

aa6ww
professor emeritus

Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Wes Stone]
      #6142250 - 10/17/13 03:28 AM

Using google earth and the light pollution map from Cal sky, I was able to accurately show what the Color zones were of all the sites I visit.
I don't know of any other way to accurately do this, since it does use Google maps and overlays the light pollution map on top of this.
Most people may already either know how to do this, or have their own method to accurately know what their sky conditions are like. I may post how to do this in a seperate thread.
Knowing this shows the value of dark skies. Many times I hear of people finding even the Horse head nebula with a 4" scope, and I know some people will think this is just nonsense, but I think dark sky conditions mean everything in making this happen.

I struggle in the orange zone (Bortal scale 5) I'm in, even with my C14, on objects that other people can see with a 6" scope and Ive been a deep space lover for the last 25 years.

.....Ralph

Quote:

Quote:

23deg seems very cold to me. Ive observed in colder weather but have been ready for it.

Ralph,

I'd consider my yard to be in the lighter blue (Bortle 3)zone on the ClearDarkSky Light Pollution Map. Near the horizon, it is more like Bortle 4, but the high altitude and usually dry air make it pretty good overall.

I'm imagining trying to view ISON in early December when it is 0 degrees with two feet of snow on the ground. Not a given, but certainly possible here. Or it could just be cloudy for weeks on end.

Wes Stone
Chiloquin, OR

petrus45
sage

Reged: 01/31/11

Loc: SW Ohio / N Ky.
      #6150262 - 10/21/13 05:23 PM

Went out to look for ISON around 5 a.m. this morning. I found Regulus and Mars in the Eastern horizon, but no ISON. Supposedly C/ISON should be a degree or two from Mars in approximately the line from Regulus. Of course I'm in the city and with a full moon the opportunities are not so hot.

aa6ww
professor emeritus

Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: petrus45]
      #6151447 - 10/22/13 10:46 AM

This full moon is killing me also, Despite the perfectly clear skies, there's just no way I can get out and do any more comet hunting until the next new moon, and the weekend afterwards also.

...Ralph

aa6ww
professor emeritus

#6152857 - 10/23/13 01:48 AM

Since we are talking visual observations, we may have to bring up . Comet 2012-X1 LInear with just went into an outburst today.
One more visible one in the sky to hunt out now!!

....Ralph

and75

Reged: 08/31/10

Loc: Hungary
      #6153960 - 10/23/13 03:47 PM

Hi!
These three comet were my target this morning, the sky was all but perfect, and the Moon is getting closer and closer to them... But I saw Lovejoy easily, and Encke too, this was the first time I saw this comet. Meanwhile ISON was invisible.
I would be very happy if someone switched off the moon, but the bigger problem is that november is coming, the worst month, lots of fog and clouds here. So we have to try to find the comets, if its clear, I'll go out whether the Moon is there or not.

janehoustonjones
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/21/07

Loc: 34 N 118 W, 652.0 feet
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: and75]
      #6155901 - 10/24/13 04:36 PM

I visually observed ISON October 6 from the California Colorado Desert, near Barstow, CA 25 miles out the Ft. Irwin Road, quite near the NASA Goldstone Deep Space Network facility. Private property, quite dark, 12.5 inch reflector. Here's my writeup and sketch :-)

My first view of Comet ISON

I won't be able to get to a dark sky again until Nov 2. I may carry my binoculars with me on a unplanned family visit to San Francisco area this weekend.

Edited by janehoustonjones (10/24/13 04:43 PM)

BSJ
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/22/08

Loc: Grand Isle, VT
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: janehoustonjones]
      #6156881 - 10/25/13 07:19 AM

If only I had been into Astronomy when I spent three consecutive Junes at the National Training Center!

We spent most nights firing howitzers, but it sure was dark, way out in the middle of nowhere in tactical blackout conditions.

TechPan6415
sage

Reged: 07/29/12

Loc: Aspen, Co
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: BSJ]
      #6158602 - 10/26/13 03:20 AM

My kind of thread, I am probably the only professional photographer who has *zero* interest in astro-fauxtography ( I took the image in my avatar because it had emotion and context, on film of course ).

A big thanks, I will check this daily and give a report when I can...

aa6ww
professor emeritus

Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: TechPan6415]
      #6159525 - 10/26/13 05:13 PM

Ive been using Stellarium to manuver my way around all these comets, now 4 of them out there within the range of our optics. Its such a valuable and powerful tool to have as an astronomer. Ive uploaded all the latest comet information to the software, and activated some of the tools used to locate and find objects better with it.
Most valuable to me is the angular separation feature, which shows how far something is to something else in degs and minutes.
It makes locating anything so much easier!!

...Ralph

CosmicDave

Reged: 11/13/08

Loc: Northern Plains of USA
      #6159811 - 10/26/13 09:01 PM

Thanks for the tip Ralph. I just updated my Stellarium for ISON and Encke. Sure makes it easier.

Dave

AlaskaIsCold

Reged: 11/16/11

Loc: San Diego, CA
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: CosmicDave]
      #6159952 - 10/26/13 10:57 PM

How do you update stellarium for comets?

aa6ww
professor emeritus

Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: AlaskaIsCold]
      #6160184 - 10/27/13 04:14 AM

Hi Christopher,

You might probably want to add several of the current comets in the sky to your solar system database in Stellarium. ISON will be one of them.
Before you start, make sure you have upgraded Stellarium to its latest version, which is version 0.12.4 and make sure your computer is online.

The comets you may want to add in your database are the following:

2P/Encke,
C/2012 S1 ISON
C/2013 R1 (Lovejoy)
C/2012 X1 (Linear) (this is the one that just had its outburst last week)

Also, I think C/2012 F6 Lemmon and C/2011 L4 PANSTARRS are already there after the 0.12.4 upgrade.

1. Open the "configuration" window on the left of Stellarium Screen or press F2.
2. Click on the "Plugins" tab at the top to the far right
3. Select "Solar System Editor" from the list on the left, forth item from the bottom.
4. Check the “load at start up box” at the bottom of the tab
5. Click the "Configure" button.
6. A window for "Solar System; objects" will open. Under the "Solar System tab" of the "Solar System objects" window, click the "Import orbital elements in MPC format" button at the bottom of the tab. An "import data" window will open.
7. Under the "lists" tab of the "Import data" window, Select the "type" as "comets";
8. Select the "source" as "download a list of objects from the internet"; under "or select from the list" click on "Select bookmark" and select "MPC's list of observable comets,"
9. Click the button at the bottom called "get orbital elements."
A list of objects found will load.
10. Scroll down and check the box next to each of the following comet names. Make sure they are these because there are many similar names:

2P/Encke,
C/2012 S1 ISON
C/2013 R1 (Lovejoy)
C/2012 X1 (Linear)

11. Click the "Add; objects". All of these comets will then be added to your solar system list. Close the Solar System editor and Configuration window.

12. Update your location and time. Basically, just open the location window, then close it, and open the time window, then close it.
13. To find your new comets, click on your search icon on the left of Stellarium's screen or press F3 to open the "Find object" window.
14. Click on the “list” tab, and then select Solar System from the pull down menu.
15. Scroll to your new comets, they will all be there now, and double click on the one you want and it will center itself on your Stellarium screen!!

Congratulations, you've just updated your Stellarium to the latest comets in the sky

Quote:

How do you update stellarium for comets?

MrJones
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/15/10

Loc: Indiana
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! [Re: aa6ww]
      #6160514 - 10/27/13 10:53 AM

Thanks Ralph.

Also charts at freestarcharts.com and info at www.aerith.net/comet/weekly/current.html

Oct. 25th - 5am EST - 15x70 binoculars

C/2013 R1 (Lovejoy) - Easy to find adjacent to Procyon or I might not have seen it. It required patient averted vision but eventually a slightly larger than stellar sized core surrounded by a bigger than expected declining diffuse gradient was discernible. I was hoping to confirm the oblong shape but can't say that it was obvious. I expect that as the moon sets earlier in a few days that this will be a nice target.

C/2012 S1 ISON - Not visible.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), star drop, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15299

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics