Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Observing >> Solar System Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)
Nick Anderson

Reged: 04/21/13

Loc: Virginia, USA
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Nick Anderson]
      #6186252 - 11/10/13 10:27 AM

Comet C/2013 R1 (Lovejoy) is naked eye!! I caught it this morning from my local orange zone site. After waiting a few minutes for my eyes to adapt to the darkness, and it was visible with difficulty as a small non-stellar haze.

That makes two this year so far. Will ISON be next...?

-Nick Anderson

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike C
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/05/08

Loc: Cornwall, UK
      #6186507 - 11/10/13 12:35 PM

Very frustrating weather for astronomy here at the moment - brief, tantalisingly clear spells, punctuated by heavy rain showers as soon as you start to set up a 'scope! The sky only then clears once you pack the 'scope away. Consequently, I still have not yet seen ISON, Encke and LINEAR C/2012 X1.

With a forecast of merely 40% cloudy skies this morning I got up at 4:30am with the hope of finally seeing these three. It was cloudy at first, but when I looked out at 5:30am it appeared clear. This is it, I thought! However, on setting up the C8, and once I was more dark-adapted, I realised there was a layer of high cloud. I searched for each comet, but was thwarted by that cloud layer and the thicker cloud that moved in after a few minutes. Not sure I'll have another chance, but I still hope to report some observations!

Regards,

Hans Wever

Reged: 11/10/13

Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: aa6ww]
      #6186762 - 11/10/13 02:46 PM

Hi Ralph,

Yesterday morning I managed to see Ison with a WO 66sd refractor. The weather wasn't that good: strong wind en clouds flying by. Still Ison was rather easy to find and already visible at 15x. Best view was at 70 times. There was a fuzzy core and mainly by adverted viewing, a short tail of about 1/5 of a degree. Magnitude routhly about 8.
Observing location was rather dark with only some villages in the neiberhood in the south of Limburg, The Netherlands, Europe.
Coming home location exactly matched Stellarium. Easy to find by two double stars in the neiberhood.
I ges seeing it with your 7" refractor should by no problem.

Hope this is helpfull.

Good comet hunting!

Hans Wever

RolandosCY

Reged: 01/02/09

Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus
      #6186850 - 11/10/13 03:28 PM Attachment (25 downloads)

Another observation of lovejoy, from a (normally) very dark site at Lysos, Cyprus. The deser dust that has been affecting us for more than a wekk did scatter light a bit creating brighter than average conditions, but once above the horizon murk, Lovejoy was enjoyable to watch. It was readily visible as a bright, circular haze of almost constant brigthness in 10x50 binos. In 15x70 binos it reminded more of a globular cluster with a brighter nucleus. With my 6" achro at 69x it appeared almost circular with undefined edges, to my eyes it seemed to be a bit fuzzier to the north. There was a distinct small nucleus. Finally, by 2am I could detect it naked eye, as adirect vision haziness that appeared to grow with averted vision - ssort of a fainter version of what I saw in 10x50 binos...

stevecoe
"Astronomical Tourist"

Reged: 04/24/04

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: RolandosCY]
      #6186946 - 11/10/13 04:01 PM

Howdy;

Comet Lovejoy was naked eye this morning, right at the limit of my vision after I got dark adapted. So, it was easy in my 8X42 binoculars. I appeared little elongated and was within a nice field of view with a wide double star. I did not try for any of the other comets because of a low haze near the horizon.

Clear skies;
Steve Coe

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: stevecoe]
      #6187123 - 11/10/13 05:11 PM

Much to my surprise, the sky cleared and I was able to see Comet Lovejoy through a 10x50 Celestron Ultima binocular from my red zone backyard early this morning.

C/2013 R1 (Lovejoy) was located a bit northeast of M44 and appeared as a more-or-less circular patch of nebulosity. This comet is currently putting Comet ISON to shame. It has been seen naked-eye from dark sites.

I also observed M35, M36, M37, M41, M42 and the Sword of Orion, M44, Collinder 70, and the Hyades before the clouds returned.

Browse http://freestarcharts.com/index.php/19-news-and-current-events/218-comet-love... and http://cometchasing.skyhound.com/comets/2013_R1.pdf for finder charts.

For more on the comet, consult the following sites:

https://www.heavens-above.com/comet.aspx?cid=C%2F2013%20R1&lat=0&lng=...

http://spaceweathergallery.com/indiv_upload.php?upload_id=89424&PHPSESSID... (image)

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/highlights/The-Other-Great-Morning-C...

http://scully.cfa.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/returnprepeph.cgi?d=c&o=CK13R010 (ephemeris)

http://cometchasing.skyhound.com/

http://theskylive.com/lovejoy-tracker

Dave Mitsky

aa6ww
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/23/11

Loc: Sacramento, Calif.
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #6187569 - 11/10/13 09:21 PM

I went out again last night till morning, and had a chance to see all 4 comets again. Me and a few friends just kinda goofed around till after 11pm when the half moon finally went down, then one by one I found all 4 comets again.

Lovejoy had definably gotten brighter since last week. It became easily visible in binoculars but in my C11, was an impressive site. Its right on the cusp of naked eye visibility locally in the Sacramento Skies if seeing a spot in the skies impresses anyone with out optics.

The big surprise to me was comet ISON. Last weekend it was just a little wisp of a comet but this week, it had a nice bright coma and tail and with my Lumicon Swan band filter, the tail fanned out as far as I could see. Easily taking up the entire field of view in my 41 Panoptic in my C11. Very Impressive looking and very classic comet looking with the bright coma and long thin wispy tail, finally!!.

Encke was also brighter, showing up nicely between Arcturus and Spica, about 7 degs from Spica.

Comet Linear, the recently disintegrated comet, has become almost completely transparent. I couldn't even see it in my C11 because its light had spread out so much, but in my 4 refractor at about 2.2 deg field of view, it was showing up as a very very dim patch of light just 4 degs above Arcturus. I think Linear is now done now, and will no longer be visible without wide field astrophotography.

One of the coolest things about our comet hunting last night, or rather, this morning, is when we we were all packed up, at 6am, and the morning was just coming up, we looked up and saw a long 6 minute fly over of the international space station directly overhead. It went from below Jupiter, almost directly overhead, and ended about 6 minutes later in the north. It was as bright as Jupiter, and already the sunlight was up, but it was still brilliant. It was as if we got the thumbs up from the Space Station saying "Nice Job guys!"

What a difference a week makes!!

...Ralph

Aquarellia
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/27/12

Loc: Provence, France
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: aa6ww]
      #6187995 - 11/11/13 04:33 AM Attachment (33 downloads)

I agree with the observers here before, Lovejoy is now a naked eye comet. Under a very good sky in Provence I had the opportunity to sketch 3 comets through a good binocular, here the result. I don't succeed with Encke. We just had a small problem with the "zodiacal light pollution" to look through, for ISON and mainly LINEAR.

Edited by Aquarellia (11/11/13 04:35 AM)

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Aquarellia]
      #6189040 - 11/11/13 05:02 PM

The sky was far more transparent this morning. The winds were calm and the temperature was 39 degrees Fahrenheit (4 degrees Celsius).

This time I used 10x50 Celestron Ultima and 15x70 Burgess Optical binoculars to observe Comet Lovejoy, Jupiter, and a number of deep-sky objects.

Comet Lovejoy had progressed on its northeastward corse and was near the fourth-magnitude star Kappa Leonis. It was easily visible through the 15x70s. The 15x70s were a bit difficult to hold with one hand but I managed.

DSOs observed included M35, M36, M37, M38, M41, M42 and the Sword of Orion, M44, M45, M46, M47, M67, NGC 2244, NGC 2264, Collinder 65, Collinder 69, Collinder 70, and the Hyades. M46 was the most difficult object to see from my light-polluted backyard.

Dave Mitsky

andrew hampton

Reged: 11/01/10

Loc: Wales
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #6190025 - 11/12/13 06:00 AM

Had some nice views of Lovejoy on 8th and 9 Nov. in 10x50. A lovely sight with the beehive cluster in the same field. Overshadowed by all the Ison publicity, it's proving to be a fine comet to follow over the winter months.

andrew

Kevdog
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/11/12

Loc: Desert Hills, AZ
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: andrew hampton]
      #6190283 - 11/12/13 10:08 AM

I got out with the Oberwerk 15x70s last night. As soon as I picked the correct starting star and followed the path, there it was. Easy even from my Orange Skies, though no tail was visible.

Just wish I'd remembered when I was out at 3am with the C11 camping last weekend! I was too tired to wait up for ISON, but LoveJoy was already up and I could have seen it!

May have to drag out the 18 tonight and see if I can catch any of the tail.

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/26/06

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Kevdog]
      #6190443 - 11/12/13 11:22 AM

Observing from a red zone here in Tucson, AZ this morning from 04:15 to 04:55. I was able to see Comet Lovejoy easily in the 9X50 finder. I put its mag at 4 or 4.5. Should be an easy eyeball object under darker skies. In my 6" f8 Achro Refactor using a 25mm Ortho eyepiece (49X with 1deg FOV) the comet was bright with a star like center and a very distinct multi-layered coma that faded off gradually away from the center. The coma was elongated toward the West. I did not see a tail but the weather and lighting conditions may have affected that detail. There were a number of stars visible in the FOV with the comet.

Looked for Comet ISON but I could not see it in the finder or in the 6" scope. I tried for ~ 20 minutes then gave up.

Comet Encke was too low for me to view due to some houses and trees; same was true for Comet LINEAR.

Edited by Edward E (11/12/13 12:53 PM)

LivingNDixie
TSP Chowhound

Reged: 04/23/03

Loc: Trussville, AL
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Edward E]
      #6190482 - 11/12/13 11:40 AM

Caught Lovejoy this morning, was real nice in the 10X50s.

Nick Anderson

Reged: 04/21/13

Loc: Virginia, USA
      #6190609 - 11/12/13 12:36 PM Attachment (26 downloads)

Here is a sketch I made of Comet C/2013 R1 (Lovejoy) in my 8-inch on the morning of November 11. The view was better two nights prior (I gave transparency a 9/10 that night instead of a 6/10). The comet's change in position was noticeable after over a half hour of observation.

-Nick Anderson

Edward E
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/26/06

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
      #6190648 - 11/12/13 12:56 PM

Nice sketch; looks very much like what I saw this AM except I did not see the westward extension that you have drawn but there was some dust and humidity mixing with the eastern light dome of my area.

the1andonlyfinn

Reged: 07/17/11

Loc: Rancho Cucamonga, California
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Edward E]
      #6191977 - 11/13/13 01:23 AM

Observed from the San Bernardino Mountains on Monday morning.
Lovejoy was naked eye! Star like, but it made it incredibly easy to aim the 8x42 and 15x70 binos at. In the XT8, the tail was faint but unmistakable, the large coma almost looked like a fried egg.
ISON was less impressive than Lovejoy, and I never caught it in my binoculars, but showed up well in the XT8 at low power, it's tail seemed brighter than Lovejoy's.
Encke featered a small but bright nucleus, tail popped in and out of view with the sun rising.

I never caught a view of LINEAR.

But three comets in an hour? I couldn't be happier!

Rich (RLTYS)Moderator
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/04

Loc: New York (Long Island)
      #6192084 - 11/13/13 06:29 AM

Once again I observed Lovejoy this morning (11/13). View similar to what I saw last Friday morning but this time I could easily detect Lovejoy's movement against the background stars. I might have also detected a thin faint tail faceing a west northwest direction. If I saw this tail it was at the limit of what I could detect. Observations made with my 10" refl at 76x and 174x. I'm observing from a white zone.

Rich (RLTYS)

Glen A W
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/04/08

Loc: USA
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Rich (RLTYS)]
      #6192120 - 11/13/13 07:28 AM

Hello,

I observed Lovejoy this morning. It was easy to find - I just scanned the area for about 3 seconds with 80mm binoculars. Just as I was starting, a very bright -3 mag pass of the ISS was seen.

Lovejoy was very big and easy to see from my mag 6.5 skies. A broad tail heading roughly opposite the Sun was faint but not hard to see. I was impressed with the size of the comet - a diameter of about 1/4-1/3 degree was apparent with direct vision. The overall appearance was like Comet Machholz of 2004, but I don't recall seeing a tail on that one with these same binoculars.

I did not notice the green color today. Nine days ago, the color seemed apparent but the comet looked much smaller then.

With the Moon coming into the sky, everyone should use the next couple of days to see these morning comets. I did not have time to try for the others, as they are quite low. ISON is really getting into its daredevil dive toward the Sun! Glen

Mike C
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/05/08

Loc: Cornwall, UK
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Glen A W]
      #6192170 - 11/13/13 08:22 AM

I finally had the clear morning I've been waiting for, and rose at 5am for some comet-spotting!

Comet Lovejoy was spectacular, virtually overhead for me by that time. I can only echo what others have said about the massive increase in its coma size, brightness and tail prominence. I can't wait to try imaging it!

This was the first time I've seen comet ISON. This was spotted easily below the 'bowl' of Virgo, with my C8 (f/6.3 focal reducer and 30mm Plossl). The coma was small and round, reminiscent of a distant globular cluster, but with a tail . This was straight, not fanning out noticibly, and not a lot fainter than the coma. ISON was also visible in my 9 x 60mm finderscope, but was not prominent through it.

I spent most of the 45min session searching in vain for LINEAR X1. Seems I haven't been the only one with difficulties spotting this comet!

Finally, no luck with Encke either - but this was because its location had not cleared the horizon before morning twilight set in.

Sky transparency was excellent, and my site is in the yellow/green zone (on the edge of a village).

Regards,

BrooksObs
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/08/12

Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Mike C]
      #6192279 - 11/13/13 09:26 AM

C/ISON found to have brightened abruptly by a magnitude since I saw it on the morning of the 11th. Comet quite obvious, coma moderately condensed and distinctly larger in size with 15x70B than before - now an easy object, although loosing altitude quickly each morning. Total integrated magnitude 7.4, coma upwards of 8', DC 6, tail hinted at be not clearly seen.

Comet Lovejoy an impressive, large object, visible to the unaided eye and situated not far from the zenith just above the "Sickle" in Leo. With 10x50B, magnitude 5.7, coma diameter 14', DC 5, no obvious tail.

2P/Encke now at too small an elongation from the Sun to be seen here before twilight brightens the sky beyond hopes of detection. This morning certainly fainter than magnitude 7.0 at 5:30a.m.

BrooksObs

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), star drop, dr.who 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16081

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics