Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Observing >> Solar System Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)
Bill Whitehead
sage

Reged: 07/11/09

Loc: Exit 135 - Garden St Parkway
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Mike C]
      #6192283 - 11/13/13 09:29 AM

Lovejoy is a binocular object in my white zone backyard. I looked for ISON, but it was lost in the haze. Tomorrow I'll bring out my 8" Dob and take a look at both. I'm hoping to go to Sandy Hook NJ this weekend and search for all four comets over the ocean before the sun comes up.

Cheers, Bill

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BrooksObs
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/08/12

Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Bill Whitehead]
      #6192294 - 11/13/13 09:36 AM

Bill - This Saturday morning is the final pre-dawn without interference from the full moon's light and even then the dark interal lasts only a brief 20-30 minutes. So take this into consideration in your weekend planning.

BrooksObs

Edited by BrooksObs (11/13/13 09:37 AM)

Bill Barlow
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/03/07

Loc: Overland Park KS
      #6192400 - 11/13/13 10:37 AM

I also tried to find Linear this morning, but didn't see it with my Meade 10 ACF. I have light glow from Kansas City in the northeastern horizon, so this may have played a role. I had finder charts and am fairly positive I was searching in the right area. Is this comet fairly dim as far as visual magnitude is concerned? Lovejoy was very easy and very bright with a bright core and a faint tail.

Bill

nytecam
Postmaster

Reged: 08/20/05

Loc: London UK
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: aa6ww]
      #6192434 - 11/13/13 11:01 AM

Hi aa6ww - I'd like to make visual obs on these comets but my eyes and skies won't let me :-)

Best nytecam

Mike B.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/24/05

Loc: Louisiana
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: nytecam]
      #6192474 - 11/13/13 11:28 AM

I've finally seen ISON visually after trying unsuccessfully to see it 4 or 5 times previously. Tuesday, Nov 12th I saw it after studying the charts and looking in the right spot. It was visible with averted vision only. I was using 15x70 binoculars in 3/5 transparent skies. But, I was still not sure, since my "averted imagination" could have been a factor.

On Wednesday, Nov 13th, I purposely went without looking at the charts and found it and it was obvious in the 15x70's. I could see it as a bright spot with a slender elongation towards the west-northwest in 4/5 skies. I then switched to my Celestron Comet Catcher 5.5" scope and an 18mm wide-angle eyepiece (not mounted and I was using it hand-held) and could see it clearly with a central condensation visible. Elongation was more pronounced and it looked more like a comet with a tail than a nebulous spot.

Lovejoy was visible through high altitude clouds in both binoculars and the 5.5" scope. The clouds moved out the way a little and I got a good look at it in the 5.5" Comet Catcher. A nice tail was visible and a big, diffuse coma.

Its just too cool to see two comets in binoculars in one morning, let me tell you.

aa6ww
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/23/11

Loc: Sacramento, Calif.
      #6192578 - 11/13/13 12:25 PM

I think LINEAR X1 is done. By that, I mean i think its disbursed so much, opened up so much that its basically transparent now. I saw it this weekend with an 8" refractors and it was nearly invisible. I could not see it in my C11 because my field of view wasn't large enough to see the edges. I knew where it was because at that time, it was exactly 4 degrees above Arcturus. I had to stare into my eyepiece for quite a long time before it began to show up. In my 4" refractor, I had to tap the scope to see anything at all. It was over a deg in size. In my friends 8" ISTAR F/6 8" refractor, it was nearly as transparent, but because i was using more aperture, it was easier to see, but again, nearly invisible. At best, I think it will be seen only by astrophotography now.
Of course this was just before sunrise, so I wasnt able to get the comet much more than maybe 10 degs above the horizon at best.

...Ralph

Quote:

I finally had the clear morning I've been waiting for, and rose at 5am for some comet-spotting!

Comet Lovejoy was spectacular, virtually overhead for me by that time. I can only echo what others have said about the massive increase in its coma size, brightness and tail prominence. I can't wait to try imaging it!

This was the first time I've seen comet ISON. This was spotted easily below the 'bowl' of Virgo, with my C8 (f/6.3 focal reducer and 30mm Plossl). The coma was small and round, reminiscent of a distant globular cluster, but with a tail . This was straight, not fanning out noticibly, and not a lot fainter than the coma. ISON was also visible in my 9 x 60mm finderscope, but was not prominent through it.

I spent most of the 45min session searching in vain for LINEAR X1. Seems I haven't been the only one with difficulties spotting this comet!

Finally, no luck with Encke either - but this was because its location had not cleared the horizon before morning twilight set in.

Sky transparency was excellent, and my site is in the yellow/green zone (on the edge of a village).

Regards,

aa6ww
professor emeritus

#6192584 - 11/13/13 12:28 PM

By the way, my article on seeing 4 comets in one night got approved in the article section of cloudy nights, pretty cool!!

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=2930

...Ralph

djeber2
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/02/04

Loc: Cloudy Midwest
      #6192666 - 11/13/13 01:18 PM

Quote:

By the way, my article on seeing 4 comets in one night got approved in the article section of cloudy nights, pretty cool!! http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=2930 ...Ralph

Ralph congrats on getting your article published and thanks for starting this visual observation focused thread

Aquarellia
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/27/12

Loc: Provence, France
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: djeber2]
      #6192674 - 11/13/13 01:21 PM

Yes, thank you for this thread, my favorite one since weeks. And whaw for your article!

djeber2
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/02/04

Loc: Cloudy Midwest
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: djeber2]
      #6192676 - 11/13/13 01:22 PM

I observed Lovejoy for the third time this morning and finally saw ISON as well, observing from my suburban location. At first I could not pick up ISON in my 15x70 binocs but a bit later came back out with my 80mm ED scope using an 18mm ep (approx 34x) to initially see it. Lovejoy was very bright and easy to see in both 10x50 and 15x70 binocs.

Bill Barlow
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/03/07

Loc: Overland Park KS
      #6193065 - 11/13/13 05:06 PM

Maybe that is why I couldn't see LINEAR in my Meade 10 this morning. I thought that I saw a very faint circular patch of light in the region the comet was supposed to be, but couldn't be 100% sure since averted vision was needed. But Lovejoy was beautiful! Will try for Ison in early December as it is too log in the east for me to see given the trees and houses.

Bill

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Bill Barlow]
      #6193073 - 11/13/13 05:11 PM

I was able to observe Comet C/2013 R1 (Lovejoy) again this morning from my red zone backyard. It was at an earlier time than my two previous sightings so the comet was a bit lower in altitude. In addition, the Moon had not yet set and the transparency was not as good as on Monday morning. It was also colder.

I used only the 10x50 Celestron Ultima binocular this time. The comet was located to the northeast of the fourth-magnitude star Kappa Leonis and north of the third-magnitude star Epsilon Leonis. It was a bit dim but was definitely present with averted vision.

I also viewed M35, M36, M37, M38, M41, M42 and the Sword of Orion, M44, M45, NGC 2244, NGC 2264, Collinder 65, Collinder 69, Collinder 70, the Hyades, and Mellotte 20. The Hyades and Mellotte 20 (the Alpha Persei Association) were high overhead at the time and were striking binocular targets.

Dave Mitsky

aa6ww
professor emeritus

Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Dave Mitsky]
      #6193356 - 11/13/13 07:31 PM

I'm getting reports that comet ISON has just outburst and is sporting 3 tails and currently sitting at magnitude 1.
This is huge! Time to bring out the wide field binoculars or scopes!

...Ralph

Nick Anderson

Reged: 04/21/13

Loc: Virginia, USA
      #6193382 - 11/13/13 07:42 PM

Quote:

I'm getting reports that comet ISON has just outburst and is sporting 3 tails and currently sitting at magnitude 1.
This is huge! Time to bring out the wide field binoculars or scopes!

Are they saying magnitude 1, or a brightening of 1 magnitude? Trying to get more information on this right now.

-Nick Anderson

brianb11213
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/09

Loc: 55.215N 6.554W
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Nick Anderson]
      #6193394 - 11/13/13 07:48 PM

Quote:

Are they saying magnitude 1, or a brightening of 1 magnitude? Trying to get more information on this right now.

Probably a brightening of one magnitude. Latest news (reported by a solar system expert at our regional astro soc meeting this evening) is that the dust production rate has doubled in the last 24 hours. Probably indicates breakup starting - but IF it survives perihelion it MIGHT be a naked eye object in the second week of December.

My suggestion is to grab a look at it in the next few days if the weather allows, as I very much doubt that it will survive perihelion.

Nick Anderson

Reged: 04/21/13

Loc: Virginia, USA
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: brianb11213]
      #6193418 - 11/13/13 08:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Probably a brightening of one magnitude. Latest news (reported by a solar system expert at our regional astro soc meeting this evening) is that the dust production rate has doubled in the last 24 hours. Probably indicates breakup starting - but IF it survives perihelion it MIGHT be a naked eye object in the second week of December.

My suggestion is to grab a look at it in the next few days if the weather allows, as I very much doubt that it will survive perihelion.

Ok, that sounds more reasonable. Can't wait to catch it again this coming morning!

-Nick Anderson

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA
      #6193427 - 11/13/13 08:10 PM

I was able to get LINEAR X1 on the morning of the 12th. It was nice to see 'Son of Holmes'. I had to wait for weeks before the weather and my schedule would allow an attempt.

Dean Norris
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/08

Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: kfiscus]
      #6193721 - 11/13/13 11:07 PM

I was inspired by Ralph's post about viewing all 4 comets in one viewing session and set out to do the same. I was fortunate to observe 3 comets, with the exception being Comet Linear, from my backyard on the morning of the 13th . The sky was clear with transparency at 5 with fair seeing being 5-6 on a scale of 1-10. I began observing at 4am.

First was Lovejoy which was the brightest and easily seen in the 9x50 viewfinder. My favorite view in my 10" newt was at 110x using a 14mm 100* ep. In fact all 3 comets looked best with this ep. Lovejoy looked very good in 7x50 binoculars. Couldn't see Lovejoy without optical aid. Lovejoy was the brightest and largest of the 3. The bright nucleus with the outer coma with a hint of tail was a special sight.

Next I observed ISON which was harder to find since it was lower in elevation but still relatively easy. This was my 4th observation of this comet. Since my backyard conditions are inferior to the dark site where I saw Comet ISON 3 times before , I wasn't sure I would be able to find it at home. It was very faint in the 9x50 viewfinder. At 110x, ISON appeared smaller and fainter than Lovejoy but it's tail seemed longer though very faint.

I saw Comet Encke low on the horizon between 2 trees. Encke looked looked fainter and smaller than ISON, but not by much.

I searched for Linear and at one point I thought I saw something very faint but couldn't really be sure.

It was great session. Looking forward to more comet observations.

Dean

Dave Mitsky
Postmaster

Reged: 04/08/02

Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth
Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Dean Norris]
      #6193874 - 11/14/13 01:34 AM

There's an image of a possible Comet ISON disconnection event posted
at http://spaceweathergallery.com/indiv_upload.php?upload_id=89572

Dave Mitsky

aa6ww
professor emeritus

Re: ISON, ENCKE, and LOVEJOY Visual Observations ONLY! new [Re: Aquarellia]
      #6193990 - 11/14/13 05:27 AM

After following PannStarr and Lemmon, I really didn't want to follow another thread that was just bombarded with everyone's photos of the same thing. and instead, wanted to create this for those of us that actually enjoy visually seeing these comets and discussing what we saw and how we saw them. So far its been going well in here.
Thanks for the thumbs up!!

......Ralph

Quote:

Yes, thank you for this thread, my favorite one since weeks. And whaw for your article!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), star drop, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15281

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics