Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Aquarist
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/27/12

Loc: Illinois
Astro-Physics Command Center (APCC)?
      #6132915 - 10/12/13 11:55 AM

Anyone know when the Astro-Physics mount control software will be available? Anyone using it now?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
HunterofPhotons
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/26/08

Loc: Rhode Island, USA
Re: Astro-Physics Command Center (APCC)? new [Re: Aquarist]
      #6132950 - 10/12/13 12:12 PM

It's like waiting for Godot, the release date has been "really soon" for years, literally for years.

dan k.

Aquarist
Pooh-Bah

Re: Astro-Physics Command Center (APCC)? new [Re: HunterofPhotons]
      #6132984 - 10/12/13 12:25 PM

Well, the last "word" I heard was Fall of 2013. Which, in theory is now.

Skunky
sage

Reged: 09/16/13

#6133434 - 10/12/13 05:01 PM

blueman
Photon Catcher

Reged: 07/20/07

Loc: California
Re: Astro-Physics Command Center (APCC)? new [Re: Skunky]
      #6133731 - 10/12/13 07:45 PM

I think it will not be long. The new AP mounts are coming and I would bet that APCC will come right behind them.
Blueman

Calypte
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/20/07

Loc: Anza, California
Re: Astro-Physics Command Center (APCC)? new [Re: blueman]
      #6134159 - 10/13/13 01:01 AM

I'm at AIC. I asked Ray Gralak about this today. "Soon" is the answer. I told him that APCC always seems to be "soon." Ray and Howard Hedlund insisted that they were "very close."

Edited to correct spelling of "Gralak."

Edited by Calypte (10/14/13 03:22 AM)

PGW Steve
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/03/06

Loc: Winnipeg, Canada
Re: Astro-Physics Command Center (APCC)? new [Re: blueman]
      #6134162 - 10/13/13 01:02 AM

I'm anxiously awaiting it here. I recently picked up a 1600 with absolute encoders and the all sky pointing is absolutely incredible, 6 arc seconds with a 125 sample T Point model. Being able to build a model in APCC, and then have it create variable tracking rates based on the model is going to be neat. Also the dynamic safety zone for crossing the meridian while imaging is going to be fun....actually there are a lot of features that are going to be exciting!

Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: Astro-Physics Command Center (APCC)? new [Re: PGW Steve]
      #6134687 - 10/13/13 10:26 AM

PEMPRO 3... Hilarious

blueman
Photon Catcher

Reged: 07/20/07

Loc: California
Re: Astro-Physics Command Center (APCC)? new [Re: Raginar]
      #6135074 - 10/13/13 01:52 PM

This program should be great for permanently mounted setups, but for portable use I fear it would be very time consuming.
Blueman

dawziecat
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: Rural Nova Scotia
Re: Astro-Physics Command Center (APCC)? new [Re: Raginar]
      #6135383 - 10/13/13 04:49 PM

Quote:

PEMPRO 3... Hilarious

Humor is lost on me. What's the joke?

Hilmi
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
Re: Astro-Physics Command Center (APCC)? new [Re: dawziecat]
      #6135484 - 10/13/13 05:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

PEMPRO 3... Hilarious

Humor is lost on me. What's the joke?

Google Duke Nukem Forever fiasco and all shall be clear

gavinm
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/26/05

Loc: Auckland New Zealand
Re: Astro-Physics Command Center (APCC)? new [Re: Hilmi]
      #6135601 - 10/13/13 06:40 PM

Looking at how companies get universally panned on this website when they release products and they still have bugs, do you blame Ray for wanting his releases to be as close to perfect as possible? I would certainly take my time...

Aquarist
Pooh-Bah

Re: Astro-Physics Command Center (APCC)? new [Re: gavinm]
      #6135711 - 10/13/13 07:45 PM

The folks at AP seem to be very sensitive to turning out the best possible product the first time. Since I have a permanent installation, I am looking forward to APCC.

psandelle
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Los Angeles
      #6136036 - 10/13/13 10:55 PM

Don't mean to get too much off-topic, but is there anywhere that explains what the APPM (pointing/tracking software) is capable of? Will it have Software Bisque-like T-Point & Pro-Track capabilities? Or ASA-type MLPT sort of tracking?

Just curious if anyone knew. If it were to have advanced non-guider guiding, then I might throw AP into the hunt for my next mount come Spring.

Thanks,

Paul

Calypte
Pooh-Bah

Re: Astro-Physics Command Center (APCC)? new [Re: psandelle]
      #6136256 - 10/14/13 03:10 AM

Quote:

Don't mean to get too much off-topic, but is there anywhere that explains what the APPM (pointing/tracking software) is capable of? Will it have Software Bisque-like T-Point & Pro-Track capabilities? Or ASA-type MLPT sort of tracking?

Just curious if anyone knew. If it were to have advanced non-guider guiding, then I might throw AP into the hunt for my next mount come Spring.

Thanks,

Paul

Look at the A-P website for info. At AIC they had a scope and mount running through their paces with APCC, but they had that last year, too. I've been wondering the same as your question, and I asked Ray Gralak about it. Since I already use MaxIm DL, TheSkyX Pro, FocusMax and CCD Commander (the four programs I use for imaging), the question is: what does APCC do for me that's genuinely useful that I don't already get? I was still not clear about that after listening to him. I mean, the software knows where the scope is at all times, and it'll prevent mount crashes and trying to image through walls, but these haven't been particular problems for me. But we had a session this morning where Ron Wodaski talked about all of the things that mess up our images, even things that we think are working well or are "good enough." He specifically mentioned that applying a good pointing model goes a long way to improving, not just pointing accuracy, but tracking, too. I'm not equipped to argue the issue or ask knowledgeable questions, but this comment caught my attention. I'll be looking into APCC when it is finally released.

Edited to add: Awhile back I asked Rick Johnson, who posts those amazing galaxy images in the CCD forum, what he does for guiding, since his stars are perfectly round. As I understood his answer, he doesn't guide at all. He uses a pointing model that he created with TPoint. Maybe Rick will see this and clarify what he told me.

Edited by Calypte (10/14/13 03:19 AM)

Hilmi
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/07/10

Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman
      #6136274 - 10/14/13 04:21 AM

Quote:

Looking at how companies get universally panned on this website when they release products and they still have bugs, do you blame Ray for wanting his releases to be as close to perfect as possible? I would certainly take my time...

I purchased PEMPro 2 because it was announced that version 3 was coming soon and I will get it for free. This was on 31 Dec 2011. There is a point where delays become excesive and beyond reasonable expectations off delays to get it right. If we were not a tollerent lot with a sense of humor we would be screaming false advertising. The least Ray could have done was send an appology to all buyers who purchased while that advert was up. Anyway, I am only mildy annoyed and poking a bit of fun at the delay is only fair game after almost 2 yearsof waiting

orlyandico
Postmaster

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: Astro-Physics Command Center (APCC)? new [Re: Hilmi]
      #6136286 - 10/14/13 05:04 AM

My understanding is that the killer feature is a Pro Track like capability.

Not sure I'd pay 500 bucks for it though. No idea how much APCC Pro will cost. And you need the Pro version to get the unguided tracking feature...

Aquarist
Pooh-Bah

Re: Astro-Physics Command Center (APCC)? new [Re: orlyandico]
      #6136318 - 10/14/13 06:02 AM

APCC will cost $250. So, most likely the Pro version will be an addition. A version of Pempro for Astro-Physics comes with the AP1600GTO mount but it is not fully featured.

psandelle
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Los Angeles
      #6136676 - 10/14/13 11:10 AM

A Pro-Track-like feature would be cool. Not much said on the website (other than a mention of APPM) that I can find. If it comes out soon, I guess we'll know then.

Paul

Calypte
Pooh-Bah

#6136690 - 10/14/13 11:17 AM

Quote:

Well, yes, and Astro-Physics' name is attached to this, and they've built a reputation on products working perfectly out-of-the-box, even when they're brand new. Years ago, when I was developing business applications software, I wished I had Ray's luxury of endless tweaking and delaying to get it right.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
23 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2421

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics