Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
dawziecat
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: Rural Nova Scotia
Canadians: Effectively shut out of used market.
      #6133132 - 10/12/13 01:50 PM

This is not new. I have been able to procure a few items on the used market from our American friends but, increasingly, all I see on Amart is "CONUS" only.

Not new but, also increasingly, the very same thing is occurring with ebay and even amazon.com. (Please don't even mention amazon.ca as they are a stench in the nostrils! Absolutely USELESS site!!! )

I recognize there isn't much to be done about it. I have decided I won't be renewing my Astromart account though as the continuing frustration make it unworthy of any fee. It occurs as frequently with the CN classifieds but, hey, they are free! Still frustrating though.

I wonder how other Canadians feel about this?

I've been a seller, as well as a buyer. I fully understand why US residents just don't want anything to do with selling outside the US. Especially when Canadians give them grief about high shipping costs and asking for falsification of declared values.

The effect is to make the classifieds a continuing frustration. They need an option (actually ebay.com does have one, sort of) to actually exclude listings that are "CONUS only." It makes no sense to a non-US resident to pay for a listing service where this is so common.

At least that's how I feel about it.

Edited by dawziecat (10/12/13 02:33 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Canadians: Effectively shut out of used market. new [Re: dawziecat]
      #6133224 - 10/12/13 02:50 PM

I just really can't believe our two governments couldn't get together and do some kind of reciprocal agreement between the two country's postal services. At least for postage. On Taxes/import fees...well, on that you'll have to deal with your local and national governments.

What with all the "free trade" agreements, I'm rather shocked that we can't deal across boarders with our closest neighbor and ally. But then, my friendly encounters with Canada was in the early 70s when I was stationed at St. Ste. Marie, MI. We would travel over into the Canadian side (Same city name, much larger city) all the time. Between the two cities, they accepted either US or Canadian $ at face value. Twas a much simpler time I guess....

dan_h
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/10/07

#6133294 - 10/12/13 03:37 PM

<< I recognize there isn't much to be done about it. >>

Yep. That about sums it up.

dan

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Canadians: Effectively shut out of used market. new [Re: dan_h]
      #6133307 - 10/12/13 03:45 PM

Very sorry this is the case! I always offer my used gear to Canadians, but I realize others do not.

Just to be clear, if you're selling small stuff, eyepieces and small parts, there is no additional hassle for the seller to send to Canada. You will have a slightly higher cost, which I show in my ad. The buyer will also need to be patient. I've seen USPS add a week in transit time getting eyepieces up across the border.

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Bornholm, Denmark
      #6133315 - 10/12/13 03:49 PM

We have the same situation in Europe, where Germans don't want to ship outside Germany, when selling on eBay. I mean, how hard can it be? It's not like you have to swim to get to my island... As soon as the package is in the hands of the postal service, it doesn't matter, whether the package goes to Gotha or Gudhjem, now, does it? I pay the freight anyway. But watch the Germans get infuriated, if someone sells a scope in Austria or Switzerland and don't want to ship outside their countries.

Sigh.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Canadians: Effectively shut out of used market. new [Re: Astrojensen]
      #6133389 - 10/12/13 04:29 PM

seems people like their kingdoms at all levels of life.....

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
      #6133452 - 10/12/13 05:16 PM

Quote:

This is not new. I have been able to procure a few items on the used market from our American friends but, increasingly, all I see on Amart is "CONUS" only.

It never hurts to ask.

I mark all of my ads CONUS, but that is just to give me some protection on shipping costs - which have been rocketing upwards the last few years. And international is even worse.

If a foreign buyer asks - and is willing to pay actual shipping costs - I will ship anywhere it is legal to do so. I have shipped items to France, Poland, and Canada.

In fact, my best Astromart sale ever was to a Canadian. (Check my Astromart profile for that one!)

Stephane L'Heureux bought a Schaefer AT9 mount and pedestal from me - all 275 pounds of it! He was incredibly prepared. I told him the number of boxes and the weights of each one. He filled out all of the shipping documents (pre-paid Fed-EX Ground) and emailed them to me. All I had to do (besides pack the beast - which I would have had to do anyway) was print, sign the copies, and take it all to Fed-Ex. Fed-Ex scanned the barcodes, affixed the labels, and I was out of there in less than 5 minutes. Easier than domestic!

Of course, not all foreign buyers are so prepared .... and expecting the seller to do all the research and legwork (let alone take the hit on shipping costs) is not very realistic. Much easier for the seller to wait a bit longer for a domestic buyer.

frolinmod
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/06/10

Loc: Southern California
Re: Canadians: Effectively shut out of used market. new [Re: csrlice12]
      #6133457 - 10/12/13 05:20 PM

I've had no troubles shipping to Canada or to France via USPS Priority Mail. I did have to fill out a customs declaration form each time, but that's all. No big deal for me. I have no idea what pain the recipients may have gone through.

skullpin
sage

Reged: 03/13/09

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Re: Canadians: Effectively shut out of used market. new [Re: frolinmod]
      #6133513 - 10/12/13 05:55 PM

An odd finding in the opposite direction: If a small box is less than 1kg, it is cheaper to send to US than domestically within Canada!!! Eyepieces and the like I advertize first on AM or CN. Heavier and larger things are a lot cheaper domestically, and I advertize them first on Canadian AstroBuySell. Curiously, many of my Canadian ABS ads are sold to the US with such buyers politely offering to cover extra shipping! Go figure.

Regarding buying from the US if the ad is marked CONUS, I typically offer the seller $20 extra for the "trouble" and they often bite.

Keith

Bill Barlow
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/03/07

Loc: Overland Park KS
Re: Canadians: Effectively shut out of used market. new [Re: skullpin]
      #6133549 - 10/12/13 06:23 PM

I've sold several used astro items to Canadian's, including a Meade 10" ACF OTA, eyepieces and finder scopes with no problems whatsoever. I ship using USPS and haven't had any problems. It just takes a little longer to reach the buyer, but they already expect that. I would encourage other CN members to not be afraid to ship goods to Canada.

Bill

Dwight J
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/14/09

Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Re: Canadians: Effectively shut out of used market. new [Re: Bill Barlow]
      #6133573 - 10/12/13 06:36 PM

Never had trouble yet. I volunteer to pay shipping or, since I live close to the border as most Canadians do, I use one of the shipping outlets which in my case is the "Montana Shipping Outlet". I then drive an hour, cross the border, pick up a 30 pack, and pick up my item at the outlet store. Never had to pay duty, etc either. Works great.

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Bornholm, Denmark
Re: Canadians: Effectively shut out of used market. new [Re: skullpin]
      #6133587 - 10/12/13 06:45 PM

Oddly enough, it's cheaper to get something shipped from Germany or Britain to Denmark, than it is to ship something within the borders of Denmark. I've bought spare parts and small farm equipment in both Germany and England and they ship it via postal service, because it's the cheapest option!

I'll never forget the looks on the face of the poor postman who had to drag the box with the two 7.50x18 front tires (about 40lbs, total!) from his car to my door. He really earned his money that day!

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

groz
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/14/07

Loc: Campbell River, BC
Re: Canadians: Effectively shut out of used market. new [Re: Astrojensen]
      #6133815 - 10/12/13 08:30 PM

I've had a couple folks refuse to ship north of 49th when asked, but most of them have no problem with it. We usually just have it sent 'plain old post office' and shipping really isn't a big deal for the little stuff. My experience is, the vast majority of stuff marked 'conus only' will happily put it in the post office coming north, we are after all still part of the same continent. In a couple cases they have commented on how surprised they were to realize, postage to Canada was hardly any different from postage to the USA. For little stuff, it's not a big deal.

I've shipped a few things south, and, never had a problem, again always using the 'plain old post office'.

For the couple of cases where folks down south flat out refused to ship north, no biggie. Another will come for sale soon, and, I'll just get it there. To be honest, I'd rather not send money to folks with that kind of an attitude

sn1987a

Reged: 09/26/10

Loc: Western Australia
Re: Canadians: Effectively shut out of used market. new [Re: groz]
      #6133847 - 10/12/13 08:50 PM

I've bought a quite a few items off Astromart over the years even an entire 18 Plettstone (thanks again Bill, love it); never had a problem. I accept it as a given that I pay the shipping, PayPal and any other costs. All my dealings with US sellers have been a delight.

dan_h
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/10/07

Re: Canadians: Effectively shut out of used market. new [Re: sn1987a]
      #6133905 - 10/12/13 09:26 PM

Quote:

I've bought a quite a few items off Astromart over the years even an entire 18 Plettstone (thanks again Bill, love it); never had a problem. I accept it as a given that I pay the shipping, PayPal and any other costs. All my dealings with US sellers have been a delight.

At one time I bought a lot of stuff from the US and most folks shipped to Canada quite happily. Even bought a scope, a 120mm f8. Seems the trend today is that many sellers who will post to Canada want to go with the priority post box for insurance and tracking but it is just way too expensive for smaller items. I won a few small auctions on AM last year but the shipping killed the joy. Even bargin stuff from Surplus Shed is no longer practical and at one time I bought a lot there. There are a few dealers who are good to work with but for most, it's FedEx or Priority Post; choose your poison.

dan

mich_al
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/09

Loc: Rural central lower Michigan ...
      #6133913 - 10/12/13 09:35 PM

I recently had to pass up a set of eyepieces I really wanted from the classifieds here. After I told the buyer 'I'll take them', who stated in the add -No FEES, , he came back to me with: Tell paypal it's a gift to avoid the fees AND it'll be XX dollars shipping cause he's in Canada.

dawziecat
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: Rural Nova Scotia
Re: Canadians: Effectively shut out of used market. new [Re: mich_al]
      #6133995 - 10/12/13 10:40 PM

Well, within just this past week, I've had FOUR negative experiences on Amart!

One, a "CONUS only." I didn't bother contacting him.
One an "if I can't get someone in the US, I'll get back to you." It's not what he said but it's pretty much what he meant.

And two with no reply at all to my inquiry . . . and those two were not even "CONUS only."

So, I've pretty well had it with the US classifieds.

blueman
Photon Catcher

Reged: 07/20/07

Loc: California
      #6134074 - 10/12/13 11:43 PM

There are reasons why some do not wish to sell outside the US.
1) people are always asking you to lie about the value or to say it is a gift

2) you have to fill out paperwork and stand in line to ship to another country, including Canada.

3) there can be very long delays in customs, weeks! I have had this happen when I shipped to Canada. The buyer was getting upset because the package just disappeared when it hit customs. He bugged me for a refund. I told him not until it is declared lost. The item showed up four weeks later, it was in customs the entire time.
Blueman

PGW Steve
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/03/06

Loc: Winnipeg, Canada
Re: Canadians: Effectively shut out of used market. new [Re: blueman]
      #6134148 - 10/13/13 12:55 AM

I've never tried to buy used out of the US, but I do buy a fair amount of new stuff. I typically have this stuff shipped to a broker at the border, which is 88 km from my house. I pay them a $5 per box fee and clear the items at the border crossing myself. Of course this may not work if you are some distance from a border crossing.

crazyqban
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/16/08

Loc: Miami, Florida
Re: Canadians: Effectively shut out of used market. new [Re: PGW Steve]
      #6134169 - 10/13/13 01:13 AM

I don't mind shipping to Canada or any other country as long as the buyer understands that once I drop the package off at the post office, it is out of my control and I am not responsible for what may happen to the package. With this arangement I have shipped items to Canada, Portugal, New Zeland, Australia, Trinidad & Tobago, Lithuania and China without any issues. All of the packagaes have arrived safe and sound in a timeley amnner except for Lithuania, that one took about a month and a half! My main concern is the lack of tracking capabilities when shipping outside the US but if the buyer agrees to my conditions, I will happily ship to them.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4289

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics