Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Shaunavon

Reged: 07/13/13

Loc: Wauwatosa, WI, USA
Nexstar 8SE mount GO-TO alignment is inaccurate new
      #6128905 - 10/10/13 11:39 AM

Hello,

I have a used Nexstar 8SE Alt/Az mount which lacks accuracy regardless what alignment method is used. I tried the Solar System, SkyAlign (3 stars), Two stars and North EQ alignment methods and after alignment the GO-TO is far from locating the object. For example, if I enter M31 the mount slews and stops at Sirrah in Pegasus. If I enter the Moon or Venus it goes south of its intended object. The mount is level and the OTA is attached properly. I think this mount is ready to be boxed up and bury 6 ft under. Does anyone have any suggestion/s on making this mount usable. It is frustrating to take this mount to a public night event and cannot rely on it when lots of people standing nearby waiting on you to find DSO to see.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
WarmWeatherGuy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/27/11

Loc: Orlando, FL 28° N, 81° W
Re: Nexstar 8SE mount GO-TO alignment is inaccurate new [Re: Shaunavon]
      #6129253 - 10/10/13 02:40 PM

Try the auto 2-star align. Use Polaris as the first star and let it pick the second star.

If you don't have an eyepiece with a crosshair reticle then try defocusing the star so it becomes a large doughnut. This will allow you to more accurately center the star in the eyepiece which should result in more accurate alignment.

You might want to check out the NexStar forum. There are lots of pros there with answers.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php/Cat/0/Board/nexstar

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#6129545 - 10/10/13 05:36 PM

Quote:

Hello,

I have a used Nexstar 8SE Alt/Az mount which lacks accuracy regardless what alignment method is used. I tried the Solar System, SkyAlign (3 stars), Two stars and North EQ alignment methods and after alignment the GO-TO is far from locating the object. For example, if I enter M31 the mount slews and stops at Sirrah in Pegasus. If I enter the Moon or Venus it goes south of its intended object. The mount is level and the OTA is attached properly. I think this mount is ready to be boxed up and bury 6 ft under. Does anyone have any suggestion/s on making this mount usable. It is frustrating to take this mount to a public night event and cannot rely on it when lots of people standing nearby waiting on you to find DSO to see.

Likely pilot error...but maybe not. When symptoms like these appear and you are SURE you are doing the alignment correctly, do a factory reset in the hand controller.

I assume...

You are doing final centering with the up and right keys.

You are centering the CORRECT stars.

You are using a medium power eyepiece.

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
      #6129717 - 10/10/13 07:17 PM

In addition to Uncle Rod's great suggestions ...

- what type of power source are you using for your mount? If it's internal batteries get something more substantial, AA batteries don't last more than a few hours (and sometimes less when it's cold) and low power can cause exactly the symptoms you've described.
- have you read up on alignment tips and guidelines in the Nexstar forum?
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4057680/page...

Shaunavon

Reged: 07/13/13

Loc: Wauwatosa, WI, USA
Re: Nexstar 8SE mount GO-TO alignment is inaccurate new [Re: mclewis1]
      #6129741 - 10/10/13 07:30 PM

Steve, Uncle Rod & Mark,

You have provided very promising ideas that may solve my problem. I do have my AA batteries in but my power tank is what I usually use. I will remove the batteries just in case they are not been used accidentally. In regards to the eyepiece, I usually start with my 25mm so maybe I should try with the 17mm or 10mm. I will try all your suggestions before attempting the factory reset. Tonight seems very cloudy but tomorrow night will be a better night to try all options.

I will inform you after all options have been exercised.

Nippon
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/22/09

Loc: Central Florida
      #6131314 - 10/11/13 02:51 PM

When you set up are you setting it up for daylight savings time or standard. This baffled me for at least an hour once right after a time change when we went back to standard after daylight savings. I would align, get an align success and all my gotos were off about 15 degrees.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #6133517 - 10/12/13 05:58 PM

Are you sure you're aligning on the stars indicated on the HC? Mistaking one star for another will kill your alignment every time. Also, are you carefully centering each alignment star (such as by using a reticle eyepiece)? Accuracy will be much better if each star is consistently centered during alignment.

Regards,

Jim

Stelios
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/04/03

Loc: West Hills, CA
Re: Nexstar 8SE mount GO-TO alignment is inaccurate [Re: jrbarnett]
      #6133774 - 10/12/13 08:12 PM

Quote:

Also, are you carefully centering each alignment star (such as by using a reticle eyepiece)?

Amen to that. I *thought* I could 'eyeball' it, but ever since starting to use an illuminated reticle EP, my GoTo's have gone from decent to totally sensational.

Uncle Rod's key advice of finishing the alignment with the UP and RIGHT keys (if seemingly not possible, go the other way and come back) is also something that is frequently overlooked.

As for time... it's still DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME, till first week of November.

Pages: 1

Extra information
15 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 415

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics