Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
BeefStewpid

Reged: 10/04/13

Re: Uranus for the first time new [Re: BeefStewpid]
      #6138234 - 10/15/13 01:34 AM

So I was able to see it as a disk tonight. One thing that helped me tremendously was that there was a star near it which stayed in the same field of view even under high magnification, so I could compare it to an actual star that wasn't much dimmer. I think if that star weren't there, that I wouldn't have been confident that it was a disk and not just a smudged out star. I'm guessing without the moon it would be easier.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Achernar
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA
Re: Uranus for the first time new [Re: maugi88]
      #6138586 - 10/15/13 09:05 AM

Through my 6, 10, and 15-inch Uranus looks like a tiny turquoise-green disk, especially at 200X and above. However, through the 15-inch I caught a glimpse recently of either Titania or Oberon, the largest moons of Uranus. I once made out three of them from the Okie-Tex Starparty through a 25-inch Dob. Some folks have seen faint features on the planet itself when the seeing is very steady with telescopes as small as 9-inches in aperture.

Taras

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 685

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics