Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Vars191

Reged: 05/24/08

Loc: Queensland Australia
Meade LX80 mount or Vixen Sky Pod new
      #6130640 - 10/11/13 09:40 AM

Hi all
I have a problem in that I don’t know which mount to buy, I have been offered a Meade LX80 mount and a Vixen Sky Pod Which one is the better one of the two, I have looked on the net but could not find much on either
Which one should I get
Vars

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Meade LX80 mount or Vixen Sky Pod new [Re: Vars191]
      #6130713 - 10/11/13 10:18 AM

Meade's situation is in flux. They have just been bought out and appear to be under new management.

It is not clear what they plan to do with the LX80, which most users felt did not work overly well. In fact, it's not clear Meade will do ANYTHING with it, or what else they might do with their telescope line if anything. IOW: If you think you want an LX80, WAIT.

Edited by rmollise (10/11/13 10:18 AM)

chemman

Reged: 06/21/11

Loc: Colorado
Re: Meade LX80 mount or Vixen Sky Pod new [Re: rmollise]
      #6135590 - 10/13/13 06:37 PM

Hello Vars191, I have a LX80 and am happy with it for what I use it for. I use it is dual scope mode for terrestrial viewing or if I have multiple simultaneous viewers. When I first received the unit the RA had a lot of play in it and quit working after about 20 uses. Sent it in and am extremely happy with it now, no play what so ever. GoTos are good and the Astronomer inside is very cool. The Vixen I know nothing about.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: Meade LX80 mount or Vixen Sky Pod [Re: chemman]
      #6135733 - 10/13/13 08:00 PM

I'm a happy LX80 owner also. I use it mostly in equatorial mode with 2 refractors with a total weight of about 15 pounds. I don't use it for astrophotography, just visual. Easy to align and goto's are very good. The mount isn't without problems. If your kit is 30 pounds or you want to do AP, look elsewhere.

Edited by Mkofski (10/13/13 08:02 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
30 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 219

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics