Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1
kcb

Reged: 07/18/13

Loc: georgian bay,ontario
anyone own a vixen vmc 260l new
      #6132525 - 10/12/13 06:54 AM

hi
can any owners of the vixen vmc 260l describe the quality of visual observations through the scope ? thanks,kevin

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Larry Carlino

Reged: 06/05/06

Re: anyone own a vixen vmc 260l new [Re: kcb]
      #6135399 - 10/13/13 04:57 PM

Kevin,
I've owned a Vixen VMC260L for a couple of years and have found it to be an excellent telescope. Stellar images are razor sharp, and the scope delivers a wealth of high-contrast planetary detail. I've taken the Vixen to a number of star parties and outreach events, and it never fails to impress the viewers. At one event, several non-astronomers remarked that the view of Saturn was better with the Vixen than with our club's excellent C14. The diffraction spikes from the spider can be a distraction for some observers, but they cease to be an issue in lunar and planetary observing. The light weight of the VMC260 allows it to be mounted on a CG-5 equatorial with reasonable damping time; I can carry the entire mount and scope assembly a few dozen yards without having to separate components. Light grasp and magnitude penetration is better than expected because of the dielectric coated mirrors. There is a tiny bit of image shift when focusing, but, overall, the scope is well made and a lot of fun to use. In head-to-head shoot-outs, it outperforms both a good 10" Dob and Meade 10" SCT.

Larry

Bill Barlow
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/03/07

Loc: Overland Park KS
Re: anyone own a vixen vmc 260l [Re: Larry Carlino]
      #6135849 - 10/13/13 09:09 PM

Hi Larry,

I have heard others give very favorable reviews of this Vixen scope. When you had the shoot out with the Meade 10, did that scope have the UHTC coatings?

Bill

kcb

Reged: 07/18/13

Loc: georgian bay,ontario
Re: anyone own a vixen vmc 260l new [Re: Larry Carlino]
      #6136452 - 10/14/13 08:53 AM

thanks larry , i am considering one for visual use,your comments have helped,kevin

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 474

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics