Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Stargazer78
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/05/13

Loc: Susanville California
Re: CGEM vs CGEM DX new [Re: PhilCo126]
      #6153046 - 10/23/13 07:02 AM

The DX is alot heavier than the cgem mainly because of the tripod. Not to toot my own horn but I work out regulary and have entered in a few strong man competition's and it takes me a total of 4 trips to set it up. Tripod , mount, counter weight bar and counter weight, and finally OTA. So with you getting the CGEM it would be alot more manageable setting up. I beleive it has the cg5 tripod or something that is very similar. I will also recomnend you spend some time and learn to drift align. I do the ccd method and its very easy to do. If you remember a few posts of mine when I first got my mount I was convinced I had the cogging issues and what not. But in the end my polar alignment was the culprit. I hope you enjoy your new mount as much as I do and I cant wait to see what images you get with your setup!! Congrats on the new mount my friend!!!!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
Re: CGEM vs CGEM DX new [Re: Stargazer78]
      #6153103 - 10/23/13 08:12 AM

Yes I remember your "Cogging issue" and learned from your experience, polar align well ,, will post a couple pics unguided to see what it can do and thanks for your input and experience..
Kasey

Mike X.
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/28/10

Loc: Greece-Athens and Rome-Italy
Re: CGEM vs CGEM DX new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #6153115 - 10/23/13 08:23 AM

Congrats on the new mount!

PS:I agree with Stargazer regarding the DX non DX and weight.
I can understand the DX can be broken to parts and be "trasportable" but i guess this is an issue that can be interpreted in very different ways because any of us has very different habbits and needs.

When i manage to photograph during summer, i have to assemble and dissasseble the mount every night for about 20 nigths,and transport it also on foot.
Every night is about 4 trips back n forth between OTAS,Mount head, counterweight etc..so at least from my point of view..having to carry such a heavy mount and tripod can be a pain.

Edited by Mike X. (10/23/13 08:25 AM)

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
      #6153235 - 10/23/13 09:28 AM

Here are 4 unguided 2min exposure video captures. They show the variation in tracking for one complete worm rotation. Remember where you are on the worm will make a difference in how your exposure turns out. You can see that the polar alignment (pic 3) is not too bad (used ASPA). PEC is off. I tried a couple of runs and these were the best tracking of the bunch. DEC is horizontal direction in these photos. There was no wind at all.

http://s906.photobucket.com/user/mstew57/library/CGEM/CGEM%20tests?sort=3&...

I should add these are with the C11 at F10. 2800mm FL

Edited by Stew57 (10/23/13 09:31 AM)

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: CGEM vs CGEM DX new [Re: Stew57]
      #6153270 - 10/23/13 09:50 AM

Hey Mark, number 3 is not really bad @ 2800mm, 2 minutes and that weight.. They say any mount at 2300+ is hrad to get good pics unguided for any length of time... looking forward to testing mine. Now looking into travel scope for the CG-5, thinking c8 or c6, I also hope all is going well with your tools replacement and ins, Kasey

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

#6153364 - 10/23/13 10:28 AM

Yew but it may take 8 minutes or more to get that shot. Way too long for outreach. That is the reason I was wanting the 8/3 fix. I have tried the PEC but with my larger 8/3 error it does not help. I have run the AT6RC unguided and the C11 with a MFR5 unguided (about the same FL) and the tracking difference is negligible. Of course the reduced FL makes a huge difference.

As far as the tools I have some borrowed to keep work going and am dealing with the insurance. Who keeps tool receipts especially for 40 years?

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

#6154885 - 10/24/13 06:52 AM

A while back there was a thread about putting either a plastic milk jug piece or this "slick strips UHMW" between base and head to make polar align RA adjustments easier.. My CG-5 there is only a small area that rides on the reciever base, for the CGEM series is the base riding area much wider? Am waiting for mine to arrive but did order some of the UHMW strips to cover the necessary part, Kasey

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
      #6154918 - 10/24/13 07:35 AM

The area is wider but it's not that flat, so the entire surface isn't used. The UHMW will definitely help.

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: CGEM vs CGEM DX new [Re: orlyandico]
      #6155035 - 10/24/13 09:03 AM

thank you, did you ever do it on yours? and do you tape the base (Tripod) or base of mount for best application?
Kasey

DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: NE Ohio
      #6155036 - 10/24/13 09:04 AM

Quote:

A while back there was a thread about putting either a plastic milk jug piece or this "slick strips UHMW" between base and head to make polar align RA adjustments easier.. My CG-5 there is only a small area that rides on the reciever base, for the CGEM series is the base riding area much wider? Am waiting for mine to arrive but did order some of the UHMW strips to cover the necessary part, Kasey

I hate to nit-pick, but it's not an "RA adjustment" but rather an "azimuth adjustment." Correction provided to keep newbs from being confused.

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Re: CGEM vs CGEM DX new [Re: DaveJ]
      #6155046 - 10/24/13 09:08 AM

I use the good old milk jug. My mount is kept tightly mounted, never removed. The Az adjustment is silky smooth. The threads are rather coarse but you will get used to it.

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: CGEM vs CGEM DX new [Re: DaveJ]
      #6155048 - 10/24/13 09:09 AM

duly noted and you are spot on, thank you for correction, was brain freeze on correct term when posting , Kasey

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

#6159143 - 10/26/13 12:56 PM

Ok heres a brain freeze,, I got my mount last night (CGEM) but I did not get a dovetail for my 9.25 to fit the saddle....... Well I got to play with the polar scope and using it and seems pretty neat.... Anyway, ordered a dovetail but till it gets here I rigged up a saddle fit for my 9.25 dovetail to work (involves spacers, safteywire etc..) and is solid...
Now the deliema (possibly) powered it up and setting up handset it asks for align marks on AZ & DEC,,, Well I have my OTA 180* out if align dec marks.. it is facing down instead of up and north..... The question is, if I callit aligned even being 180* out, will the mount or handset know it????
I can swap ends on the OTA but is a real pain with the spacers and way I have it mounted... Do you think it will know the OTA is facing North with align marks 180* out when I say yes , align marks are lined up???
Hope this makes sense,,, Kasey

dmdouglass
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/23/07

Loc: Tempe, AZ
      #6159303 - 10/26/13 02:31 PM

dragonslayer1.....
I am sending you a private mail. hopefully you are set up to receive it.

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

#6160054 - 10/27/13 12:45 AM

have it all working now and just loving my CGEM, taking 60 sec unguided and looking good so far,,, man oh man, what a mount,,, David got your PM, is all good, will talk tomorrow if is ok with you, Kasey

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

#6160617 - 10/27/13 11:53 AM Attachment (6 downloads)

A pic for ref

Edited by dragonslayer1 (10/27/13 11:56 AM)

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

#6160626 - 10/27/13 12:00 PM Attachment (7 downloads)

the first pic 120 sec unguided, and this one 60 sec unguided, Pictures are not for sale LOL,,, they just show tracking, the pics suck, Kasey

dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/05/13

Loc: Desierto de Sonora
      #6160633 - 10/27/13 12:02 PM

Is that the Dumbell hiding in there?

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: CGEM vs CGEM DX new [Re: dpippel]
      #6160656 - 10/27/13 12:15 PM

Yes M76 the little one, the settings on my camera need work, was mostly to test tracking, I struggle at this picture taking, Kasey

A. Viegas
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/05/12

Loc: New York City/ CT
      #6161548 - 10/27/13 09:46 PM

Kasey,

Congrats on the tracking, Your focus seems off, also I think you may have some dust on your camera or reducer

Al

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
15 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3227

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics