Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
panhardModerator
It's All Good

Reged: 01/20/08

Loc: Markham Ontario Canada
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: ben2112]
      #6132173 - 10/11/13 10:52 PM

Peter that was a great report thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
      #6132291 - 10/12/13 12:15 AM

Nice report Pete despite the low altitude of some of the objects. Well done.

Pete

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: azure1961p]
      #6132466 - 10/12/13 04:29 AM

Many thanks Herb and you too Pete. Your kind comment are much appreciated. It was good fun doing the comparisons. Eyepieces and filters everywhere.
At the same time next month the Pelican and North American nebula's should be better placed, i.e off the Zenith from my location, so, along with the veil and any others that are available,I will run it again.

Tony.... NGC 6940 should look great with the 6se. You don't need high power to view open clusters. I used my 38mm wide angle (70deg) E.P giving me x73.

Ben ... Don't know how practical it would be to use a filter wheel for visual as I only own 2 filters ( variable polar and UHC). Might be worth a try if you have a few and your targets warrant their use. Hopefully, someone who has given it a go will let us know. Good thinking though Ben.

Regards. Peter.

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

Reged: 07/12/12

Loc: North Charleston SC
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: Peter9]
      #6132543 - 10/12/13 07:18 AM

Peter - Yeah, it just came to me because I was looking at filter wheels for mono CCD cameras. I wouldn't invest in one just for filter comparison. But if a person could barrow one to do a comparison, it would keep you from having to screw and unscrew filters on eyepieces, diagonals, etc to compare various filters. Just flip back and forth. Then you can get a real idea of how well a filter works. I only own one DSO filter which is my UHC. My others are some cheap color filters for planetary viewing that came in my kit and a moon filter. But if I had a Ha, UHC, LPR, OIII, etc. Then I could see wanting to use a filter wheel to see how it each filter effects what I am seeing.

Greyhaven
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/11/04

Loc: Greater downtown Maine
      #6132592 - 10/12/13 08:37 AM

Peter thanks once again for sharing your observations with us. Your reports are always a pleasant read.I was out under the skies off and on most of the night into the predawn hours and although my current health issues preclude my use of my telescope I was able to watch my winter favorites rise into the sky. Not being able to tilt my eyes to view anywhere near zenith eliminated any thought of surveying the whole sky visually but watching M45 glide up and Taurus, Orion and finally Jupiter joined the parade was renewing for me. The place that I chose to observe from, the front deck with 2 street lights ( usually blocked by my garage when viewing from the observatory and a near by line of hills running NE preclude any viewing of the horizon) still allowed me to lean against the house wall and soak in the amazing sights. Temps in the low 60s F made it possible dressed in jeans and tee shirt, and that alone made the night even more remarkable. This time of year we are often facing snow flurries and hard frost at night. Thanks for sharing I can hardly wait until I can wrap my eyes in optical glass once more.
Be Well
Grey

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: Greyhaven]
      #6135067 - 10/13/13 01:50 PM

Hi Grey,
Many thanks for your kinds words. Pleased you enjoy our reports. Sorry for the late response but things are a little busy round here, which is no bad thing, as it keeps my mind and body active.
Sorry to hear of your on going health problems and hope, as you do, that you will stay on the road to recovery and be back at the eyepiece sooner rather than later.
Pleased to see that you are keeping your hand in so to speak, by doing a little naked eye observing. Its nice to watch the progression of the winter constellations . Won't be too long now before they are in our night skies once again.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/22/09

#6136060 - 10/13/13 11:07 PM

No observing this weekend due to rain and more rain Well we needed the rain to help with the drought! I ordered the Uranometria 2000 All Sky edition. Looking forward to getting it in. Also when the clouds break this week I think I'm going to plan an observing session in Cassiopeia. It's been awhile since I viewed some of the open and globular clusters. There is quite of few to look at, g. I need to make an observing list and get ready. Anyone checked it out lately? Hope you all had clear skies this weekend

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. [Re: CelestronDaddy]
      #6136124 - 10/14/13 12:04 AM

No rain, but lots of clouds.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
      #6136370 - 10/14/13 07:18 AM

I got lucky Friday and Saturday and was able to get in some observing last night. I did some daytime Moon observing which is very different than night time observing. The Moon didn't seem as bright as when I checked it out at night. I was able to note the progression of the terminator throughout the evening. I was using my binoviewer to pick out some finer details. They also provide a 3-d sensation especially on craters and mountains. It was a short session clouds came and went, so I went to M31 and M45 and M33, the last one was invisible. M31 with the binoviewer actually starts to show some structure with 14mm ep's. Clouds started to roll in at 23:00, so I packed it in

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: hopskipson]
      #6136461 - 10/14/13 08:58 AM

James, Good report and glad you were able to get some observing in! Sounds like you had to contend with those clouds too. The binoviewer sounds like a real plus. I've never used one but maybe I'll get a chance sometime. Thanks for the report! Tony

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: CelestronDaddy]
      #6137051 - 10/14/13 01:40 PM

Thanks for a nice report James. Daytime Moon viewing is something I do quite often. I find my variable Polarised filter is a great help in darkening the sky and adding contrast to the Moons features.
The views through the Binoviewer sound real good. Never given them a thought really but 3D craters sound good. You did well to get some detail out of M31 thanks again to the Bino's. Thats a big plus.

Weather here is shocking at the Mo. Not set to change for a day or Four either.

Regards. Peter.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#6149938 - 10/21/13 02:07 PM

Judging by the lack of activity here I guess that you are having the same problems that I am experiencing i.e lousy weather conditions.
We have had over a week of high winds and driving rain and it is set to continue for at least another week.
I did take advantage of a short break on Saturday and used the weather to my advantage at the same time.
I took the opportunity to wash the dome and timed it so that after applying the cleaner between showers, the rain arrived and saved me the effort of having to rinse it off.
I'm Guessing that you've not had a chance to take a look at Cassiopeia yet Tony. Hope you get the chance soon.

Clear skies soon for all.

Regards. Peter.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6150269 - 10/21/13 05:26 PM

Hi Peter,
I figured everyone was tied up or the weather was bad. We have had lots of rain (today is cloudy and rainy)over the last week or so. This weekend was clear but the moon was out and I was kind of tied up with other activity. So I missed my opportunity there I briefly got out with the binoculars and had a quick look around. That's about it I'm still waiting to get to Cassiopeia's clusters, g. I got my books in that I ordered and I've been perusing them. Hope it clears up some and maybe this weekend will be a good opportunity!! Tony

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
      #6150320 - 10/21/13 05:56 PM

I had set my alarm this morning for 4:30 a.m. to catch Jupiter, but I couldn't get my body out of bed. Too many early soccer games this weekend. Forecast doesn't look good this week. Now I regret my decision.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. new [Re: hopskipson]
      #6150386 - 10/21/13 06:41 PM

James - Yea 4:30am is early! I get up at 5:15am every morning and I always look up when I go out to get the paper, g. Orion is looking good too.... and Jupiter It was very cloudy this morning and there was some lightning off to the north. It has sprinkled on and off most of the day and it is pretty dark out there now. Sounds like soccer has kept you busy also, g.... Hang in there

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

#6150531 - 10/21/13 08:19 PM

Clouds and more clouds. Before that, I got a really bad sinus infection. But, I am feeling much better. And it's supposed to be clear skies this weekend. I am hoping to get out under the stars.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#6150569 - 10/21/13 08:50 PM

Ben2112 - Understand about the weather and sorry to hear of your sinus issue! My wife has been sick with a sinus infection and went to the doctor on Friday and was started on medicine. Hope you get feeling better and I also hope the weather is good this weekend!

ben2112
Cloud Magnet

#6150613 - 10/21/13 09:13 PM

I hope your wife gets better. This year has been the worst for sinuses. Someone is always sick in my office.

Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
      #6151081 - 10/22/13 04:13 AM

Hi Ben,

Just reading through this thread, I was sorry to learn that you've recently had a sinus infection. It's good to hear though, that you are feeling a lot better !

I've only ever experienced something similar once: (back in the 1970s), and for sure, I don't want it again !

Keep well and best regards,
Tel

Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
Re: Visual Observers Reports and Discussions. [Re: Tel]
      #6151088 - 10/22/13 04:19 AM

By similar token, Tony, I hope your wife overcomes her sinus infection and is restored to full health as soon as possible. Please wish her my very best for a speedy recovery.

Best regards,
Tel

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13632

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics