Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
oo_void
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/13/09

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Re: Pointing accuracy new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #6079421 - 09/13/13 08:59 PM

Quote:

http://sourceforge.net/p/astrotortilla/home/Home/

I agree with this one ... for ultimate pointing accuracy, plate solving is your friend.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Doug Murphy

Reged: 10/07/07

Loc: Leesburg, VA
Re: Pointing accuracy new [Re: oo_void]
      #6134527 - 10/13/13 09:03 AM

Would Celestron's StarSense finder allow me to get 4-5 arcmin accuracy on my CPC 925 Edge HD mount?

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: Pointing accuracy new [Re: Doug Murphy]
      #6134674 - 10/13/13 10:23 AM

Iget better than that with a standard alignment with my CGEM. After adding the SSA it is just a bit better than the standard alignment. I am getting around 3 arcminutes or better.

Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: Pointing accuracy new [Re: Stew57]
      #6134683 - 10/13/13 10:25 AM

That's a spendy tool for that kind of a change how were your giros with precise goto on?

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: Pointing accuracy new [Re: Raginar]
      #6134724 - 10/13/13 10:47 AM

It does not increase the pointing accuracy that much but it will do the alignment for you. It will also allowa high precision mode (adding calibration point) for the desired object, much easier. They do have bigger plans for it. It is missing a working ASPA at the moment. Now as to whether it is worth it at that price point for you, only you can answer that

Raginar
Postmaster

Re: Pointing accuracy new [Re: Stew57]
      #6134743 - 10/13/13 10:53 AM

Yup.i agree. I guess I'm surprised at the number of people who find alignment troublesome.

Doug Murphy

Reged: 10/07/07

Loc: Leesburg, VA
Re: Pointing accuracy new [Re: Raginar]
      #6134811 - 10/13/13 11:33 AM

My CPC 925 Edge arrives today, so have not used it yet. I do Mallincam imaging and had been using an Obsession truss Dob reflector, and although I could get pointing down to 4 arcsec on favorable nights, the system would settle and then objects were not in the FOV. The field was 17 arcmin with the reflector, so I needed 4 arcmin pointing accuracy to make life tolerable. I am hoping to get that on the CPC mount, so was thinking of the new StarSense.

frank17601A

Reged: 04/16/11

Re: Pointing accuracy new [Re: Doug Murphy]
      #6134942 - 10/13/13 12:45 PM

What is needed is a Celestron Pro Division. They would slightly modify their handcontroller software and maybe motor controllers and sell that to folks like AP, Bisque and Losmandy.... I am sure I am oversimplifying it but why could not the Celestron HC software be modified to input gear and worm parameters etc? They could sell this technology to AP, Bisque. etc....and let these folks do the mechanical heavy lifting that they are so good at! The Celestron software even make the current overseas machining and assembly work reasonably. Imagine Celestron HC linked to the AP/Bisque/Losmandy quality!

Have you tried to buy a new AP handcontroller........1000 bucks! Retail....I can buy a new Celestron handcontroller....100 bucks...

Please don't move to have me executed!!! Imaging how good drivers etc would get when the software guys would only have to bother with ONE set of drivers for everyone..

I have owned AP, Bisque and Celestron, and quite frankly the Celestron HC is the most intuitive and full featured...

Just my opinion, let the arguments begin!

Frank

Edited by frank17601A (10/13/13 12:47 PM)

Moromete
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/15/12

Loc: Romania
Re: Pointing accuracy new [Re: frank17601A]
      #6135154 - 10/13/13 02:32 PM

Does anyone have experience and knows how good is pointing accuracy with a EQ6 PRO+C11 at ~100x magnification with firmware 3.35 on both sides of the meridian?

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Pointing accuracy new [Re: Moromete]
      #6135341 - 10/13/13 04:24 PM

Quote:

Does anyone have experience and knows how good is pointing accuracy with a EQ6 PRO+C11 at ~100x magnification with firmware 3.35 on both sides of the meridian?

I have not had the opportunity to try 3.35, but the previous version would, with a decent (polar scope) polar alignment, put anything I requested in the field at this magnification. IF...

The secret is giving the SynScan the alignment stars it needs. The suggestions in the manual are more than that:

Stars 1 and 2 should be separated by at least 3-hours of right ascension. Also, try to pick two that are at least 20-degrees apart in declination, but separation in RA is more important.

Star 3 needs to be within a declination range of 30 and 70 degrees north and south.

More recent SynScan firmware is better at offering choices of alignment stars that fulfill the above, but still don't just blindly accept the first stars offered unless they do.

Moromete
professor emeritus

Re: Pointing accuracy new [Re: rmollise]
      #6135378 - 10/13/13 04:46 PM

Thanks Rod.

You give me more confidence in Synscan GOTO accuracy but I'm still a little afraid of its performance after beeing used CG5-GT excelent GOTOs even with a C11 after a 2+2 star alignment and a bad polar alignment. I now Synscan requires you to put Polaris in the little circle of the polar scope to give a good GOTO precision, unlike Celestron HC.

I feel like changing a Mercedes with a Chevy.

Have you tested the GOTO accuracy with EQ6+C11(F3.3)+Mallincam and see if DSOs land somwhere on Mallincam's frame all over the sky or you tried only the EQ6+C8(F3.3)+Mallincam?

How good is GOTO accuracy in this situation compared to a Ceelstron mount?

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Pointing accuracy new [Re: Moromete]
      #6135683 - 10/13/13 07:30 PM

The go-to accuracy is very similar. You just have to do a little more work to get it.

If this bothers you, get a CGEM...I don't think there is any reason to avoid them anymore, and you get the NS HC you are used to...

Ranger Tim
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/25/08

Loc: SE Idaho, USA
Re: Pointing accuracy new [Re: rmollise]
      #6136131 - 10/14/13 12:09 AM Attachment (6 downloads)

Here is M1 after using Gemini 1 with a GM-8 to slew. The field of view is around a degree across the widest point. I used a DSLR LCD with the view magnified 10X to center the alignment stars when calibrating the goto. I never bother swapping out for an eyepiece anymore while imaging. My Sphinx also has at least this much accuracy. I have used my buddy's Atlas a time or two and it runs equally as well. What's usually the problem? Inattention to procedure and not having the star names handy is really the only reason for me to fail. I rarely ever have to move the scope to center objects for framing unless they are filling the frame and I need all the space I can get.

Go-to is a wonderful thing. I have learned more since I got it than I ever thought I would. Sure beats the day when I use to spend a half hour finding a faint fuzzy. Now I get to learn where they hide and see more of them to boot!

Moromete
professor emeritus

Re: Pointing accuracy new [Re: Ranger Tim]
      #6136282 - 10/14/13 04:42 AM

Off-topic: Can one lower the speed of onscreen text on Syncan HC to read it easily in winter nights, as is possible with Celestron Nexstar HC?

Raginar
Postmaster

Re: Pointing accuracy [Re: Moromete]
      #6136589 - 10/14/13 10:30 AM

Tim, that's beautiful. I started plate solving my images and haven't had an issue with pointing ever since. You can plate solve with a mallincam cam but stealing a screen capture. Rene over at Gemini2 says it's just not realistic to get a good alignment with only 2 stars... I trust his math

Completely off topic. Sorry.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1723

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics