Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Tonk
Postmaster

Reged: 08/19/04

Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N
Re: G-11 tracking issues new [Re: pfile]
      #6151729 - 10/22/13 01:32 PM

Quote:

you need to be comfortable becoming a G11 mechanic

Same for the GM-8.

I've had a good run for 10 years with mine, but eventually the annual mechanics sessions got too much. One season I could have superb performance which gradually degraded over a year or so, so a strip down and rebuild was required. Sometimes this excercise would yield nothing but frustration for weeks trying to get the mount to track accurately again.

I suspect it was due to a build up of grit in the grease on the worms, and my comparative lack of good skills in realigning the worm block afterwards.

Once I had the mount in the hall while building work (and a lot of dust) was going on elsewhere in the house and it took a number of stripdowns and relubing and worm block reseting to get the performance back. Its never really got back to the top unguided performance I got 2005 - 2008.

My new mount is sealed and does not allow user mechanics to be done! (has "void if broken" stickers on it!). And it does not require servicing for 10 years (heres hoping this turns out true - only time will tell).

Losmandy mounts are good but do require considerable fettling IMHO

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
APshooter

Reged: 10/14/13

Loc: Camby, In.
Re: G-11 tracking issues new [Re: pfile]
      #6152824 - 10/23/13 12:59 AM

Rob:
I totally agree with the statement about becoming a G-11 mechanic. Those who have followed me since I got the mount in '97 know I've fought with flexure and tracking issues for many years. I have tinkered with my mount since day one. Some of the fixes came right out of forums like this one, others I kind of made up as i went along. For instance, I took the nylon friction clutches out years ago and replaced them with automotive head gasket material, because the nylon ones slipped in the cold, no matter how hard I tightened the clutches. I modded the mount to have power taps mounted on a steel plate bolted on the bottom of the tripod base. I've had problems with broken hand controllers and faulty drive boards. All fixable, but at the cost of hair pulling and lost time under the stars. As a visual mount it performs just fine, it's imaging that really pushes it to the limit. Thank goodness the Ovision mod worked for me. It's a shame that they stayed with that two block assembly for so many years. It would have been a whole different ballgame if they kept modding and improving the mount for imaging over the years.

blueman
Photon Catcher

Reged: 07/20/07

Loc: California
Re: G-11 tracking issues new [Re: APshooter]
      #6152865 - 10/23/13 02:02 AM

I used the G-11 for quite a while. I was the first to put McLennan gear boxes in one and one of the first to get the OVision for the RA.
I had it working pretty well, but then sometimes it would just get touchy and need a tweak. I sold it and got an MI-250 and it was a step above, but it still was not exactly without issues.
Finally I bought an AP900 and it is very nice. Perfect? No, but it is easy to operate and is much more stable.
Imaging is tough no matter what you do. But the mount is the heart of the whole operation and if the heart is not strong the rest of the system is weak too.
Blueman

APshooter

Re: G-11 tracking issues new [Re: blueman]
      #6152889 - 10/23/13 02:44 AM

So true.

APshooter

Re: G-11 tracking issues new [Re: APshooter]
      #6162206 - 10/28/13 10:34 AM Attachment (5 downloads)

Just an updated M27 shot from the mount last night.

Edited by APshooter (10/28/13 10:35 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
22 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1604

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics