Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
opticsguy
sage

Reged: 02/02/09

Loc: Washington State
Purchasing an AZ EQ6 in China? new
      #6128769 - 10/10/13 10:43 AM

I was planning to purchase an AZ EQ6 mount in late winter/early spring - 2014. Some recent changes in plans takes me to China this winter and was curious about the possibility for purchasing this mount with any significant savings. Anyone here with FIRST_HAND knowledge about how this could be done? And would it be worthwhile?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
orlyandico
Postmaster

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: Purchasing an AZ EQ6 in China? new [Re: opticsguy]
      #6128947 - 10/10/13 12:04 PM

You'd pay a huge premium on excess baggage, unless your employer is paying for that.

Also, unless you speak Chinese, you would be unlikely to get a good deal. Also remember that the quality control for products going to the west are different from that for local consumption.

But, I would suggest contact Peter Lee (the tan14 dealer) who is Hong Kong based. He might be able to help you, since he is an amateur astronomer himself.

Frank @ Van

Reged: 01/24/05

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Re: Purchasing an AZ EQ6 in China? new [Re: orlyandico]
      #6133012 - 10/12/13 12:38 PM

You can find every thing here www.taobao.com.

Frank

RichardHK
sage

Reged: 11/25/06

Loc: Hong Kong
Re: Purchasing an AZ EQ6 in China? new [Re: Frank @ Van]
      #6134182 - 10/13/13 01:28 AM

Times have changed. It is probably cheaper to buy anything through any of your US suppliers than buy over here. I am in Hong Kong and prices are either the same or a little more. China prices on taobao.com are often more.

Same logic applies to anything else, TVs. whatever, these days. Suggest you enjoy your China break - hopefully well away from the horrific air pollution in Beijing and many other major cities.

Someone from mainland China may know of a cheap supply, but what a hassle it could be for you. Account for your lost time and carrying back costs!

opticsguy
sage

Reged: 02/02/09

Loc: Washington State
Re: Purchasing an AZ EQ6 in China? new [Re: RichardHK]
      #6134666 - 10/13/13 10:18 AM

Most likely I will be purchasing here in US (or possibly in Vancouver CAN), was just exploring my options. My trip to China is meeting my GF who was living in Vancouver.

The taobao website is all chinese cant read anything and looks like they sell dresses and almost everything. OK, just now did a search (in english and it works) The AZ EQ6 is 12500RMB which equals $2042. so that pretty much answers that.

leexeen
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: Beijing, China
Re: Purchasing an AZ EQ6 in China? [Re: opticsguy]
      #6138230 - 10/15/13 01:32 AM

Never buy any astro-gear in Taobao. Most of them are over priced.

Pages: 1

Extra information
21 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 368

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics