Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
gregory93

Reged: 07/03/12

Any DSO killer-ortho?
      #6138678 - 10/15/13 09:57 AM

Hello again !
Since ES has still production issues regarding the short fls i thought that maybe i could use some orthos to do my job.I will mostly use them on DSO's and not that much in planets(never been my favorite). Has anyone tried any orthos on galaxies,pns,and globs?Especially at 6-7mm range?

Clear skies.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Any DSO killer-ortho? new [Re: gregory93]
      #6138692 - 10/15/13 10:03 AM

Not in a dob I wouldn't....maybe in the ST80.....

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
      #6138792 - 10/15/13 11:06 AM

Quote:

Hello again !
Since ES has still production issues regarding the short fls i thought that maybe i could use some orthos to do my job.I will mostly use them on DSO's and not that much in planets(never been my favorite). Has anyone tried any orthos on galaxies,pns,and globs?Especially at 6-7mm range?

Clear skies.

I have started using Astro-Physics SPL's on select DSO's - excellent results thus far, superior to Delos in many cases (I'm thinking of the Bug Nebula in particular). One must choose the DSO carefully though. Larger open clusters for example, not so good. On the restricted field I lose the context of the object, since my telescope has a fairly long focal length of 2800 mm. But the types you mentioned I think you will be pleasantly surprised if your scope has smooth motions - or tracking.

gregory93

Reged: 07/03/12

Re: Any DSO killer-ortho? new [Re: Jeff Morgan]
      #6138841 - 10/15/13 11:31 AM

Forgot to mention but i will be using them (if i get any) on a XT8". Mostly at faint galaxies and planetaries,since they are not that extensive objects.I do not have any experience with ortho,the smallest AFOV i have encountered is the AFOV of the 24mm Hyp Zoom and i do not have tracking.But got somehow smooth movements.

aatt
sage

Reged: 07/26/12

Loc: CT
      #6138888 - 10/15/13 11:59 AM

I use my UO orthos on globs (12.5mm) and it is great for that, but some is invariably cut-off. I use the 9mm on planetaries or small globs sometimes. Can't complain, but I use mostly widefields on those objects as a rule.

Tank
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/27/09

Loc: Stoney Creek, Ontario, CANADA
Re: Any DSO killer-ortho? new [Re: aatt]
      #6139041 - 10/15/13 01:14 PM

I find all simple glass Ortho/plossl/Mono to be great on DSOs however you do loose the FOV.
I find a Delos or XW works best for me yes not as much transmission but the presentation is wonderful with the large FOV.
Planetary I find is really where the orthos and simple glass shine!

hfjacinto
I think he's got it!

Reged: 01/12/09

Loc: Land of clouds and LP
Re: Any DSO killer-ortho? new [Re: Tank]
      #6139128 - 10/15/13 01:56 PM

I used TMB supermono's and if if looking for the clearest planetary nebula and planet eyepiece, that was it. As for Globulars, it was weird, the extra FOV of a widefield made the globular pop more. This was becuase I needed to use less power to fit it all in with a TMB, so if looking for a PN buster the TMB's are it, otherwise get a few widefields, they frame almost all other objects better.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: Any DSO killer-ortho? new [Re: hfjacinto]
      #6139739 - 10/15/13 08:15 PM

Quote:

I used TMB supermono's and if if looking for the clearest planetary nebula and planet eyepiece, that was it. As for Globulars, it was weird, the extra FOV of a widefield made the globular pop more. This was becuase I needed to use less power to fit it all in with a TMB, so if looking for a PN buster the TMB's are it, otherwise get a few widefields, they frame almost all other objects better.

I use Ethos and Delos eyepieces for most of my viewing. More recently I have picked up some small glass eyepieces to see if I get a little better performance on planets and deep sky objects. I will need another six months to a year to firm up my conclusions. The small glass eyepieces I am testing include a 5 XO, a 7 TMB Super Mono, an 8 Brandon (planetary) and a 9 HuTech. Dim DSO's and stellar points are at the bottom of the list of objects I like to view. Two reasons are my interest, and the fact that I have to drive such a long distance to a good dark sky site. When I have a chance to do more observing comparing my big and small glass eyepieces, I will provide an update.

ThreeD
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/23/08

Loc: Sacramento suburbs
      #6139770 - 10/15/13 08:34 PM

Quote:

Hello again !

Clear skies.

I must say the difference in detail on the deer lick group between a 6mm Ethos and 6mm ZAO-II in Alvin's 22" F/4 was obvious. With my 16" F/4.5 my BGOs can give a minor improvement in detail over my Naglers. I believe the larger the scope the greater the difference.

http://faintfuzzies.com/AboutUs2.html

BillP
Postmaster

Reged: 11/26/06

Loc: Vienna, VA
Re: Any DSO killer-ortho? new [Re: ThreeD]
      #6139841 - 10/15/13 09:21 PM

Quote:

I believe the larger the scope the greater the difference [with better eyepieces].

This has certainly been my experience over the years of eyepiece shootouts.

Jim Curry
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/29/07

Loc: STL
Re: Any DSO killer-ortho? new [Re: BillP]
      #6139946 - 10/15/13 10:35 PM

I've used my Pentax SMC ortho's to good advantage on dim galaxies, Brandon's, too. Of course the Brandon's are easily purchased as well.

Jim

bremms
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/31/12

Loc: SC
Re: Any DSO killer-ortho? new [Re: Jim Curry]
      #6140023 - 10/15/13 11:14 PM

Most of the time I use a wide field eyepiece for DSO's. However, the 10.5mm RGO is great on globulars and Planetaries. Also use UO orthos, Parks gold (Masuyama), TV smoothies. The 11mm and 8.8mm ES 82's are very good though.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Any DSO killer-ortho? new [Re: bremms]
      #6140034 - 10/15/13 11:21 PM

On planetary nebula and other objects that don't seem or feel cropped with a 43 degree field Orthos are fine. Something like the veil however would benefit with another kind of ocular design.

Peye

azure1961p
Postmaster

Re: Any DSO killer-ortho? new [Re: bremms]
      #6140035 - 10/15/13 11:21 PM

On planetary nebula and other objects that don't seem or feel cropped with a 43 degree field Orthos are fine. Something like the veil however would benefit with another kind of ocular design.

Pete

azure1961p
Postmaster

#6140045 - 10/15/13 11:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I believe the larger the scope the greater the difference [with better eyepieces].

This has certainly been my experience over the years of eyepiece shootouts.

I wonder if its mainly because larger scopes commonly use larger exit pupils where coma and such comes into play where the better more pricey oculars strut their stuff. Said anotherway if it were views at 35x per inch perhaps the benefits wouldn't be nearly as apparent.

Just floating a thought.

Pete

russell23
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/31/09

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Any DSO killer-ortho? new [Re: azure1961p]
      #6140355 - 10/16/13 07:16 AM

Not that they are easy to come by, but my 28mm Meade RG Ortho is very engaging as a DS eyepiece. There is something special about the combination of eye relief, presentation, flat field, and razor sharp field stop that comes together really nicely.

Dave

BillP
Postmaster

Reged: 11/26/06

Loc: Vienna, VA
      #6140387 - 10/16/13 08:02 AM

When I met the guy I sold my set of Pentax SMC Orthos to, I expected he wanted them for planetary observing. I came to find out that he was part of a group of big Dob owners that travelled to local dark sites and a DSO hunter. He explained to me that he and his buddies didn't care that the AFOV was small on these Pentax Orthos as what mattered is that their transmission and contrast was so good he said that they easily picked up more details and structure on faint galaxies and nebula. As example, here's a review that includes simulation of the difference about 1/2 way down - 12mm Tele Vue Radian & 12mm SMC Pentax XF.

SteveC
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/15/06

Loc: Sunshine State & Ocean State
      #6142013 - 10/16/13 10:56 PM

Quote:

When I met the guy I sold my set of Pentax SMC Orthos to, I expected he wanted them for planetary observing. I came to find out that he was part of a group of big Dob owners that travelled to local dark sites and a DSO hunter. He explained to me that he and his buddies didn't care that the AFOV was small on these Pentax Orthos as what mattered is that their transmission and contrast was so good he said that they easily picked up more details and structure on faint galaxies and nebula. As example, here's a review that includes simulation of the difference about 1/2 way down - 12mm Tele Vue Radian & 12mm SMC Pentax XF.

Wow, I owned the 8mm Radian, and was impressed with its light transmission. I can honestly say that I never witnessed such a dramatic difference as was shown in the Sombrero drawing when I compared it to other eyepieces. My opinions were based on observations of planets, moon, and globs.
Edit, maybe it was the 6mm I owned, still, I have the same impression.

Edited by SteveC (10/16/13 11:01 PM)

JustaBoy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/19/12

Re: Any DSO killer-ortho? new [Re: SteveC]
      #6142039 - 10/16/13 11:13 PM

I've always thought that the Radians looked dim.
-Chuck

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
Re: Any DSO killer-ortho? new [Re: JustaBoy]
      #6142105 - 10/17/13 12:09 AM

Quote:

I've always thought that the Radians looked dim.
-Chuck

I try not to make sell decisions rapidly, especially after selling the 17T4 Nagler.

But after the first outing with Brandons, I listed my Radians on Astromart within a couple of days.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
13 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1014

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics