Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astronomy Software & Computers

Pages: 1
kurat

Reged: 05/07/08

ios 7 problems seems to get worse
      #6139620 - 10/15/13 06:57 PM

My first mistake was to upgrade to ios 7 on my ipad 3, I admit I should have waited, I wont make this mistake again regardless of who makes the software.

Light bright backgrounds, thin fonts, one app has a light grey background with slightly darker grey characters when I type, I still have good vision, but Im have a hell of a time looking and concentrating when reading, when using safari and your on a page your viewing, when I want to look up something else, I go to the search box, the the start page shows up, this doesn't help one bit when I need to type in info Im reading on the current page, when typing away, the characters show up a couple of seconds later, web pages hang, crash and so on, some review sites call ios 7 childish, and after a while Im going to have to agree, it seems like the Apple people were told to refresh the os at any cost, what used to be a swipe to the right is now a swipe to the left, they reversed many things just to be different without any thought of functionality. the list just keeps going on and I don't have many apps or using too many resources like location services.

All these problems have me thinking about other products instead of Apple, Im not about to throw away more money because Apple says they want to increase my user experience, Im sick of the incremental slowdowns, bad updates, Im not sure why, is it because Steve Jobs is gone, Im starting to think so, but I may be wrong, Im also starting to really hate Apples closed system for purchasing or what they deem fit for my ipad, after a while this does start to bug you.

I would downgrade to ios 6, but Apple wont let me, so where is my choice here.
I dont need Apple telling me what I need nor to be locked in their system, there will most likely be no more Apple purchases from myself, I do have a iphone 5, but thats another story, Im running ios 7.02 and apparently 7.03 will be out shortly, we will see what happens there, Apple used to be great, but all things come to an end.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
helpwanted
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/04/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: ios 7 problems seems to get worse new [Re: kurat]
      #6140064 - 10/15/13 11:41 PM

you came to the right place!!!
first, fix your font size and make them bold, by reading THIS webpage with tips and tricks.
i just put iOS 7 on my iPad 2, and the wife's iPad Mini, and they both work great! (as well as both iPhone 4s's)... note, they all have the same processor. Your iPad 3 should be find with a little adjusting.
Read that link!!

helpwanted
Post Laureate

Re: ios 7 problems seems to get worse new [Re: helpwanted]
      #6140070 - 10/15/13 11:43 PM

here is another link, HERE that will help you speed up the device.

JonNPR
sage

Reged: 03/04/13

Loc: Oregon
      #6140280 - 10/16/13 04:24 AM

Kurst, sorry to hear your experience. I must have done several of the adjustments mentioned here. My iPad 3 seems to be running smoothly without the truly exasperating glitches you are getting. SkySafari Pro runs quite nicely; I was using it to control my scope last time out.

If you haven't already, follow helpwanted's link. Those look like the advice I received as soon as I upgraded. Must have done the trick. Otherwise, might be some kind of issue with a faulty upgrade?

Good luck,

Jon

kurat

Re: ios 7 problems seems to get worse new [Re: JonNPR]
      #6140620 - 10/16/13 10:34 AM

Thanks for the links guys, I have done some of the adjustments suggested, the fonts are better and visuals are turned off, my location services are at a bare minimum.
What burns me is the ipad was running just fine with ios 6, and that with a-lot more location services turned on, then just after the upgrade boom,
the typing is still slow, if I type too fast the curser falls behind, safari is a little better but still choppy, I can wipe it out and start all over, and like I said Im not going to run out and buy an ipad 5 because it will handle ios 7 well.

Roger Corbett

Reged: 03/07/13

#6140926 - 10/16/13 01:26 PM

Had you forced quit ALL apps and then done a soft reset of the device--holding down the home button and the power button--and waiting until the opening Apple comes up? That clears things out.

Many people are reporting that resetting the settings also helps restores lost functionalities.

Also, turning off iCloud is supposed to dramatically speed up the keyboard typing. I'll wager that interaction/problem gets fixed soon with an iOS 7 update.

HeyJP
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/11/10

Loc: Boulder, CO
Re: ios 7 problems seems to get worse new [Re: Roger Corbett]
      #6140950 - 10/16/13 01:38 PM

I have an iPhone5 and iPad4 and the wife has iPhone5 and iPadMini. We both LOVE iOS7. Lots of great additions. I'm getting terrific battery life. Better than with iOS6. SkySafari works like a champ on all devices in iOS7.

Hopefully things will settle out for you, Kurat. Plenty of good changes in 7.

Jim in Boulder

kurat

Re: ios 7 problems seems to get worse new [Re: Roger Corbett]
      #6141111 - 10/16/13 03:08 PM

I hope 7.03 fixes many things, as for turning things off, Im not going to do it at this point, I need certain things turned on and thats the way Ive been running, and its been doing everything I wanted in ios 6, to me its all about choice, and the fact that you cant downgrade to what you have, puts Apple on my *BLEEP* list, I no longer and going to wait for a company to put out something stable, Ive been into this stuff too long, I have uses I depend on and Im not willing to put up with companies who have the attitude of put stuff out and fix it later, thats been the norm in this business and I don't care for it anymore, myself for the first time, I am going to consider going the jailbreak route, but it is what it is, Im not a high tech junkie tossing out cash for the latest and greatest, but I love the new stuff, as a matter of fact, Im going to buy myself a couple of Honda EU2000i generators to parallel instead of an ipad 5( yes twice the price), this is the way I look at it and this is just my opinion.

demiles
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/07/06

#6142685 - 10/17/13 10:56 AM

No doubt that IOS 7 has some bugs, Apple should have them fixed in a timely manner. Hopefully with a week or so.

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: La Crescenta, CA
Re: ios 7 problems seems to get worse new [Re: demiles]
      #6143456 - 10/17/13 06:21 PM

Do a reset of all your preferences... there's been an issue for a while where user preferences get corrupted between updates. Rebooting won't help you.

Settings--> General--> Reset--> Reset All Settings

And --> Reset Network Settings
while you're at it.

You may have to enter passwords again and reconnect to your networks, but it should help with the lags. I did that with my iPad 2 and ever since it has been running as well as it did under iOS6.

JonNPR
sage

Re: ios 7 problems seems to get worse new [Re: WesC]
      #6143668 - 10/17/13 08:25 PM

Have you ever actually turned OFF your iPad since your update and now since your Preferences changes? I don't mean putting it into sleep mode by a short press of the rocker button. I mean holding it down long enough to get the red message box asking "slide to power off".

If you have, never mind. But if you haven't...wow!

PS Unless you have a vast number of programs running in the background, (rather than sliding them "off" in the double press mode using the round depressed control by the charging socket), I don't think you should see the behavior you describe. Of course, Most computers reach a limit for simultaneous processing and RAM space, at some point especially if running continuous without ever shutting down and experiencing increased demands...with an upgrade and preference changes.

In any event, good luck!

Jon

Edited by JonNPR (10/17/13 08:28 PM)

demiles
professor emeritus

#6144557 - 10/18/13 10:10 AM

Doing resets can help but the fact remains that there are still a lot of bugs with IOS 7 on the iPads. iPhones have faired much better.

JonNPR
sage

#6144991 - 10/18/13 02:23 PM

Agreed! I'm only reacting to his problems with how sluggish his SSP is, and those other specific issues that don't seem to be affecting all iPad3/iOS7. I have a friend who didn't realize that there was another state (Off) besides the quick Sleep mode. Hence my question.

Jon

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: La Crescenta, CA
      #6145141 - 10/18/13 03:55 PM

I have 4 devices running iOS 7... None of them have any bugs or performance issues.

Jeff Morgan
Postmaster

Reged: 09/28/03

Loc: Prescott, AZ
      #6145252 - 10/18/13 05:06 PM

Quote:

Agreed! I'm only reacting to his problems with how sluggish his SSP is, and those other specific issues that don't seem to be affecting all iPad3/iOS7. I have a friend who didn't realize that there was another state (Off) besides the quick Sleep mode. Hence my question.

Jon

I'm running SSP 3.8.2 on an iPad Mini with iOS 7.0.2 and is still very fast - I have not really noticed a drop-off.

The only iOS7 issue I have seen are screen freezes. It happened to me perhaps half a dozen times on my last observing session. After awhile I just went back to using ServoCAT/Argo Navis for scope control partly because of the freezes and partly because of more accurate GOTO's from SC/AN.

With the next dark sky window opening in five days people may start finding more things, but hopefully not.

Edited by Jeff Morgan (10/18/13 05:08 PM)

JonNPR
sage

Re: ios 7 problems seems to get worse new [Re: Jeff Morgan]
      #6145528 - 10/18/13 08:06 PM

I get an occasional Safari crash...but I had those since v5.

helpwanted
Post Laureate

#6146261 - 10/19/13 09:17 AM

Quote:

I have 4 devices running iOS 7... None of them have any bugs or performance issues.

same here

demiles
professor emeritus

#6146308 - 10/19/13 09:58 AM

For general day to day use I have no issues with my Ipad mini. But for astronomy use iOS 7 has introduced several issues. All the white menus and back grounds is causing issues for astro app developers. Using the Smart Cover to bypass the lock screen has issues when opening the cover. It will sometimes flash bright white when opening. SSP will force the mini to run out of memory and freeze the screen. This happens more during use with the Smart Cover for some reason. If you look under Settings/General/ About/ Diagnostics and usage/ /Dianostics and usage files you can see these issue documented in plist files.

JonNPR
sage

#6147168 - 10/19/13 05:50 PM

I've heard that also, and not sure how they will address it. I just don't use a Smart Cover, although Apple pushes them and they are popular.

Jon

btschumy
Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

Reged: 04/13/04

Loc: Longmont, CO, USA
      #6147436 - 10/19/13 09:06 PM

I don't use a smart cover, but I will borrow one to see if I can figure out what is happening. I can't imagine why waking the device using the smart cover should be any different, but maybe it is.

Bill

Pages: 1

Extra information
6 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1378

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics