dpippel
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/05/13

Loc: Desierto de Sonora
Re: Just Joined the Club new [Re: UncleMossy]
      #6152128 - 10/22/13 05:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I did have some trouble getting Sky Safari to control the mount properly via my iPad and Skyfi, but that can wait.

If I remember correctly this could be the issue.

I had to select Nexstar GPS from the scope list to gain control of my scope, not Nexstar 6/8.
The iPad works as the gps and sends the location.
If you can connect to skyfi but not your scope then this should fix things, hopefully.
I am assuming that you are plugged into the hand controller and not the aux port on the base.

Thanks for the tip Jim, but that's the mount I've selected - "Celestron NexStar GPS/SLT/SE". Yes, I'm plugged into the controller. I use the SkyFi/iPad/Sky Safari combo to control my CGEM DX all the time and am familiar with its operation.

The problem I'm having is VERY strange too. Once I level the mount and go through a SkyAlign, I connect to the scope via SkyFi. Everything is just dandy unless I try to slew to something in the *southern* sky. For example if I use Almach, Vega, and Altair as my three alignment objects and then try to slew to Venus or the Lagoon Nebula, the scope slews NORTH towards Polaris. I can go to practically any star around zenith or north of the celestial equator, but if I select Fomalhut, for example, she slews north again. WEIRD! I'm selecting Phoenix, AZ as my location from the controller database, so the software knows where I am on Earth. If I use the hand controller to select these same objects the gotos are just fine, so I suspect the problem is some setting in Sky Safari.

One evening when I have the time to sit down and really dig into it I'll find out what's going on and report back here.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 883

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics