Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1
Moey

Reged: 01/23/08

Recommended eyepieces for WO binoviewer? new
      #6138184 - 10/15/13 12:32 AM

I currently own a pair of WO binoviewers and only have the 20mm eyepieces that came with it. I'm thinking about upgrading to a better set of eyepieces if you guys think it's worth it? It's for use in my 14.5" f4.8 dob. Appreciate the help thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Messyone
sage

Reged: 05/02/12

Loc: Down Under
Re: Recommended eyepieces for WO binoviewer? new [Re: Moey]
      #6138383 - 10/15/13 06:47 AM

Wish I had a big Dob....but I do have the WO's. So first any eyepiece with a field stop over 20mm will vignette. The supplied 20mm's don't but my 20m SWA 70º's do a bit. Boils down a bit on how much do you want to spend. Really I don't mind a bit of vignetting...for now, so I have what's in my signature. The only thing to add is don't go below 12mm. My 9mm NLV's are a failed experiment! Vixen NPL Plossls are also great value. The Agena WA 12's are really good in the WO's. My choice is 12 WA 15 and 20 SWA and RKE 28's. Add a 2x barlow to the 1.6 corrector and thats l really need....until I get a Baader MkV, then it's a new ball game.
Hope this is of some help.
Matt

Sorny
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/15/12

Loc: Southern MN
Re: Recommended eyepieces for WO binoviewer? new [Re: Messyone]
      #6138869 - 10/15/13 11:49 AM

BIg dob? I'd go for the gusto and get a premium binoviewer instead. The WO's are hobbled by the tiny prisms, and vignetting on anything with a field stop bigger than ~20-21mm. That said, Vixen NLVs are pretty popular. I have some Agena SWAs at 20mm & 15mm. They're better than the WO eyepieces included, but not overwhelmingly so (they are quite affordable, and allow for experimentation without being out a lot of money).

A Binotron supersystem with the 45mm OCS would be a nice upgrade. Of course, you'd still want nice eyepieces, but a Binotron supersystem with D21s and D14s would probably be all you'd ever need (at significant cost, to be sure).

I've got WO binos and a Binotron. The WO are a great intro binoviewer, but they're definitely built to a price point. I tried different eyepieces, but couldn't get them to work in my C11 the way they did in my C5. I find the WO's unacceptable in a big scope (ghosting, flaring, scatter); they work well enough in my C5 that I keep them on there instead. I'm almost all binoviewer now.

20mm & 15mm Agena SWAs in a WO bino in my C5.
D21 & Binotron & Power x Switch diagonal combo in my C11.

Hothersale
sage

Reged: 10/13/09

Loc: Victoria, BC
Re: Recommended eyepieces for WO binoviewer? new [Re: Messyone]
      #6139347 - 10/15/13 03:53 PM

Quote:

The only thing to add is don't go below 12mm. My 9mm NLV's are a failed experiment!

How so, Matt? Difficulty merging the images?

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: Recommended eyepieces for WO binoviewer? new [Re: Hothersale]
      #6139474 - 10/15/13 05:16 PM

I hear the GSO SWA work great for BV without spending a fortune. Then there are the Sterling plossl's and the ES 16,20 and 24mm SWA 68* at a good price.

The 20's that came with it are ok with the moon, but a little flat overall. My 26mm Meade SP seem to be sharper and more contrast.

BTW...what are you using to get them in focus with the Dob? I have tried the 1.6x included barlow and also a 2x in my 10" Dob and it will not come into focus? It's ok that way in my refractor and SCT.

SpaceConqueror3

Reged: 09/19/13

Loc: Phinney Ridge, Seattle, WA
Re: Recommended eyepieces for WO binoviewer? new [Re: REC]
      #6139510 - 10/15/13 05:40 PM

Binoviewers are neat but I cringe at the thought of having to buy two of each eyepiece to equip it.

Hothersale
sage

Reged: 10/13/09

Loc: Victoria, BC
Re: Recommended eyepieces for WO binoviewer? new [Re: SpaceConqueror3]
      #6139546 - 10/15/13 06:11 PM

I find binoviewers more than neat. To me, the difference in perceived detail on brighter objects is significant, and the difference in viewing comfort is enormous. The cost and hassle of getting the setup right can be considerable, however. Fortunately, the "bino effect" tends to exaggerate the apparent FOV, so it "feels" easier to get away with cheaper eyepieces. Personally, I'd rather view with two 50-degree eyepieces than one 100-degree eyepiece.

sopticals
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/28/10

Loc: New Zealand
      #6140141 - 10/16/13 12:41 AM

Quote:

I currently own a pair of WO binoviewers and only have the 20mm eyepieces that came with it. I'm thinking about upgrading to a better set of eyepieces if you guys think it's worth it? It's for use in my 14.5" f4.8 dob. Appreciate the help thanks

Hi,

I have a similar set up: WO Binos being used with 14" f5.1 dob. Although I thought the supplied WO 20mm 66deg oculars were ok, I did experiment with other options from the GSO stable, ie 15,20,25mm Plossls and 15mm 70deg Superviews. I found the 25mm Plossl pair nice to use, but with lesser magnification and similar size FOV to the WO 66deg units saw no advantage in continuing with them. The GSO 15mm Plossls I found a little difficult to merge images and the FOV too small. However, the GSO 15mm Superview pair worked perfectly for me; no merging difficulty, increased magnification, and nice sized FOV. The 15mm SVs are in my binos 100% of the time, a no brainer (for me).

Stephen.(45deg.S.)

Moey

Reged: 01/23/08

Re: Recommended eyepieces for WO binoviewer? new [Re: sopticals]
      #6140315 - 10/16/13 05:54 AM

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. Some good recommendations there which i'll take a look at. I failed to mention I also have a 24mm panoptic and 13mm nagler, but based on what i'm reading the 24mm will vignette?

Sorny as much as I'd love a Binotron, they are a little above my budget now I'll look into the Meades, Vixens and GSO superview.

I have a second pair of truss poles to bring the binoviewers to focus without using any barlows.

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
      #6140552 - 10/16/13 10:04 AM

Oh, if you already have a 24Pan I would try that even if it vignette a little, my be worth it. A lot of members use them. And besides, if you don't like them, they are very easy to sell! Some also use the 13t6 well they say.

Let us know how all worked out in the end.

Bob

Sorny
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/15/12

Loc: Southern MN
Re: Recommended eyepieces for WO binoviewer? new [Re: REC]
      #6140669 - 10/16/13 11:03 AM

A 24 panoptic will vignette, and a whole lot more than "a little" in a WO binoviewer.

JustaBoy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/19/12

Re: Recommended eyepieces for WO binoviewer? new [Re: Sorny]
      #6140873 - 10/16/13 12:58 PM

You already have the 24 Pan, so just try it in one side.

And, yes it will vignette...
-Chuck

Messyone
sage

Reged: 05/02/12

Loc: Down Under
Re: Recommended eyepieces for WO binoviewer? [Re: Hothersale]
      #6141231 - 10/16/13 04:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The only thing to add is don't go below 12mm. My 9mm NLV's are a failed experiment!

How so, Matt? Difficulty merging the images?

Only failed due to the fact that I can get pretty much the same scale image with the 20mm SWA and OCS. Using the 9 NLV's with the OCS is too dim in a 6" refractor. No problem merging images. NLV's are nice eyepieces in bino's, if a bit on the expensive side.

The 20mm SWA 70º Agena's vignette in the WO bino's too. The 28 RKE's and 30mm NPL plossls vignette a lot, but I can put up with it for now.
I have used the 15mm Superviews and found ghosting a small issue but very easy to look through.
Matt

Pages: 1

Extra information
9 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 465

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics