Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
skysurfer
sage

Reged: 10/05/09

Loc: NL, N 52 E 6
Re: SkySafari Plus as Atlas new [Re: btschumy]
      #5912424 - 06/10/13 03:32 AM

Quote:

Be aware that Pro on Android takes about 1.3 GB of free space on the internal SD card. It is a large program.

On my Galaxy Note 2 it takes 800MB (v. 1.7.5).

Anyway it is an excellent sky atlas in the field ! I use it always with observations.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Galicapernistein

Reged: 09/24/07

Loc: Detroit Michigan
Re: SkySafari Plus as Atlas new [Re: skysurfer]
      #6127251 - 10/09/13 03:21 PM

Just to update my original post, I finally bought the Sky Safari Pro app the day after I got my state of the art (for now) iPod touch. It really is like having an atlas that fits in the palm of your hand, but also a reference guide that gives you basic information about practically everything you can see in the sky, and even succinct articles about astronomically important objects. Just push the info button. It also lets you zoom into the more famous objects and see an actual image of the object, to scale and properly oriented. Very nice. It's going to make my observing sessions much easier.

weinerat

Reged: 12/30/09

Loc: Dalian China
Re: SkySafari Plus as Atlas new [Re: Galicapernistein]
      #6127911 - 10/09/13 09:25 PM

I really need to update to version 3. Been using version 2 for years, but 3 looks a lot better. was waiting for version 4, but figure that will come out the day after I upgrade.

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
      #6128194 - 10/10/13 12:17 AM

Quote:

Is SkySafari Plus detailed enough to use instead of traditional atlases? For instance, if I'm looking for a very faint galaxy cluster, will SkySafari zoom in to show the field as it would appear through, say, a 50x eyepiece? Does it show the orientation of the galaxies? Or doesn't it show galaxy clusters?

It works pretty well, but if you are at all serious about really "going deep", you would be better off with the full Sky Safari Pro version. It has the fainter star database plus galaxies somewhat past 15th magnitude, so its coverage is better than the plus version. That having been said, as far as a comparison to the computer-based atlas programs like MEGASTAR, Sky Safari Pro still has maybe a little "growing-up" to do. While it has the galaxies present in many of the well-recognized galaxy clusters, as far as labeling the galaxy clusters themselves (like the Abell groups), that part is missing. A number of other very useful things to know that Megastar covers in its output are missing from Sky Safari as well, like thumbnail DSS images of all the galaxies in the program's database, globular cluster V-tip and Horizontal Branch magnitudes, open cluster member numbers/classes, and galaxy surface brightness figures to name but a few. It also provides a little information that might be a bit on the extraneous side, and some of the information in some of Sky Safari Pro's "Description" pages even occasionally contradicts the data output on that same object in the program. Still, it is a *very* powerful program which is quite useful both in planning and in the field. Clear skies to you.

Galicapernistein

Reged: 09/24/07

Loc: Detroit Michigan
Re: SkySafari Plus as Atlas new [Re: David Knisely]
      #6129349 - 10/10/13 03:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Is SkySafari Plus detailed enough to use instead of traditional atlases? For instance, if I'm looking for a very faint galaxy cluster, will SkySafari zoom in to show the field as it would appear through, say, a 50x eyepiece? Does it show the orientation of the galaxies? Or doesn't it show galaxy clusters?

It works pretty well, but if you are at all serious about really "going deep", you would be better off with the full Sky Safari Pro version. It has the fainter star database plus galaxies somewhat past 15th magnitude, so its coverage is better than the plus version. That having been said, as far as a comparison to the computer-based atlas programs like MEGASTAR, Sky Safari Pro still has maybe a little "growing-up" to do. While it has the galaxies present in many of the well-recognized galaxy clusters, as far as labeling the galaxy clusters themselves (like the Abell groups), that part is missing. A number of other very useful things to know that Megastar covers in its output are missing from Sky Safari as well, like thumbnail DSS images of all the galaxies in the program's database, globular cluster V-tip and Horizontal Branch magnitudes, open cluster member numbers/classes, and galaxy surface brightness figures to name but a few. It also provides a little information that might be a bit on the extraneous side, and some of the information in some of Sky Safari Pro's "Description" pages even occasionally contradicts the data output on that same object in the program. Still, it is a *very* powerful program which is quite useful both in planning and in the field. Clear skies to you.

I did get the Pro version. I agree that it would be nice to have a reference image of every galaxy, and also be able to search for things like galaxy clusters and interacting galaxies. But for the price I'm more than happy with it. And the fact that I can use it on my iPod Touch as a "pocket atlas" is the icing on the cake. Maybe someday SkySafari will come out with a "SuperPro" version. I would definitely buy it.

turtle86
Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Reged: 10/09/06

#6130234 - 10/11/13 12:20 AM

An updated version of Megastar would be great, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. Despite its antiquated-looking interface it's still a great piece of software in terms of content. That said, Sky Safari Pro gives Megastar a pretty good run for the money on content while being a lot less expensive and a lot more fun to use IMHO.

The Ardent
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/24/08

Loc: Virginia
Re: SkySafari Plus as Atlas new [Re: turtle86]
      #6133195 - 10/12/13 02:31 PM

I like Sky Safari, but

I was unable to find the Egg Nebula plotted or listed in Sky Safari Pro, but many other fainter PK's in Cygnus are listed.

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
Re: SkySafari Plus as Atlas new [Re: The Ardent]
      #6134217 - 10/13/13 02:05 AM

Quote:

I like Sky Safari, but

I was unable to find the Egg Nebula plotted or listed in Sky Safari Pro, but many other fainter PK's in Cygnus are listed.

The Egg Nebula (PK 80-6.1) in Cygnus is plotted as the alleged "galaxy" UGC 11668 in Sky Safari Pro. The positions are identical, but the designation of the object as a galaxy is now known to be incorrect. The object was originally cataloged as a galaxy before more study (in 1975) revealed it to be a so-called "proto-planetary nebula". Megastar lists it at magnitude 13.5 with a size of 1' x 0.5' arc. Doubtless, this small classification goof-up will be probably cleared up in the next release, but for now, look for a plot of a galaxy rather than a planetary nebula. Clear skies to you.

Tim DeBenedictis
Vendor - SkySafari

Reged: 07/14/09

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Re: SkySafari Plus as Atlas [Re: David Knisely]
      #6141360 - 10/16/13 05:38 PM

All-

The Egg Nebula, PK 080-6.1, will be included in the SkySafari 4 database.

-Tim

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1921

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics