Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
BobinKy
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/27/07

Re: Pocket Sky Atlas object list new [Re: Carl Kolchak]
      #5657081 - 02/01/13 08:21 PM

Richard...

Thank you very much for the second version of the object list.

I am interested in what Tony Flanders has to say about how many objects are in the Pocket Sky Atlas, that are not in SkyAtlas 2000.0. Is this a large group? Or something much smaller, say 50 or so objects not found in SkyAtlas 2000.0?

Richard, thank you again for your assistance.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike Lynch
sage

Reged: 04/07/06

Re: Pocket Sky Atlas object list new [Re: Carl Kolchak]
      #5657310 - 02/01/13 10:45 PM

Richard,

Thank you! I worked with the original text file you provided to create a target list in SkyMap Pro. It recognized all but about 49 of the objects, and some others were in a format that SkyMap Pro didn't recognize. (i.e., a name with/without a hyphen or a space in it.)

But the bottom line was that I was able to create a target list and observing report for the vast majority of the objects in the text list. It still needs some tweaking on a few objects, but it was a great help!

Mike Lynch
Frankfort KY USA

BobinKy
Post Laureate

Re: Pocket Sky Atlas object list new [Re: Mike Lynch]
      #5657538 - 02/02/13 03:03 AM

Let us all hope that S&T decides to publish some kind of observer's guide for The Pocket Sky Atlas--with descriptive paragraphs for each object--similar to the current 2nd edition of their Sky Atlas Companion. Something of the same dimensions as the PSA would make a nice companion, and perfect for a two volume publication in a slip case similar to what they did for the Millennial Star Atlas paperback edition.

I always enjoy dreaming of what publishers should do with their invested capital. HA!

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
Re: Pocket Sky Atlas object list new [Re: BobinKy]
      #5657642 - 02/02/13 07:07 AM

Quote:

I am interested in what Tony Flanders has to say about how many objects are in the Pocket Sky Atlas, that are not in SkyAtlas 2000.0. Is this a large group? Or something much smaller, say 50 or so objects not found in SkyAtlas 2000.0?

I could in theory answer that question precisely, but at the moment I'm too lazy to do the necessary computer hacking.

But since I routinely use both databases to produce the charts that run in Sky & Telescope, I can offer a seat-of-the-pants answer. To a fair approximation, the nonstellar objects in the PSA are a subset of the ones in SA2K. The most obvious exception is that the PSA includes all of the Herschel 400. And I occasionally stumble on other exceptions as well.

Therefore, the Sky Atlas Companion will work quite well for the PSA as well.

In terms of labeling, the PSA labels many more double stars by name, as well as labeling carbon stars with a (c). Also, SA2K labels all Bayer stars with their Flamsteed numbers as well, whereas PSA uses either Bayer or Flamsteed, but never both.

The exact Bayer designations are a bit different in the two. It's a little-advertised fact that both the Bayer and Flamsteed designations are "ragged;" there are many cases where the designations are controversial and/or not universally used. I have been meaning to ask Roger how he derived the PSA designations ...

BobinKy
Post Laureate

Re: Pocket Sky Atlas object list new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5658119 - 02/02/13 01:06 PM

Tony...

Thank you for the distinction between the nonstellar objects in the Sky Atlas 2000.00 and the Pocket Sky Atlas. I really need to use my PSA more frequently--it is the most convenient atlas around.

And thanks for confirming the importance of the Sky Atlas Companion for both atlases. Many of us enjoy the SAC a great deal due the ease of access of information, as well as the useful paragraph descriptions.

stevew
Now I've done it

Reged: 03/03/06

Loc: British Columbia Canada
Re: Pocket Sky Atlas object list new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5658924 - 02/02/13 09:01 PM

Quote:

It would seem that S&T is missing out on a companion field guide opportunity. Sky Atlas 2000 has a companion guide. Pocket Sky Atlas should too.

Regards,

Jim

Yes, I agree a companion guide would be perfect.
I love the S&T Pocket Sky Atlas.
I have bought copies of it for friends as well. Makes a great gift.
I use it for all of my local observing, as there are 1500 DSO, and to be honest I'd be lucky to see 1/4 of them from our regular local observing site.
I only pull out the big atlases when I'm headed out of town to very dark skies.
But the PSA is limited as there is no information about the objects. A companion guide would be high on my list.

Steve

rockethead26
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: Pocket Sky Atlas object list new [Re: stevew]
      #5658947 - 02/02/13 09:23 PM

Quote:

Steve

I agree as well. The companion would be a good seller, I think.

pjglad
sage

Reged: 01/29/11

Re: Pocket Sky Atlas object list new [Re: rockethead26]
      #5658955 - 02/02/13 09:28 PM

Some time ago on CN I read that there was an effort or proposal to publish the PSA in a full size edition. Is that effort still alive?

JimK
Skygazer

Reged: 09/18/05

Loc: Albuquerque, NM USA
      #5659177 - 02/03/13 12:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

It would seem that S&T is missing out on a companion field guide opportunity. Sky Atlas 2000 has a companion guide. Pocket Sky Atlas should too.

Regards,

Jim

I love the S&T Pocket Sky Atlas.
I have bought copies of it for friends as well. Makes a great gift.
I use it for all of my local observing, as there are 1500 DSO, and to be honest I'd be lucky to see 1/4 of them from our regular local observing site.
I only pull out the big atlases when I'm headed out of town to very dark skies.
But the PSA is limited as there is no information about the objects. A companion guide would be high on my list.

Steve

I hadn't thought of this before in this way, but the book "Objects in the Heavens" (OITH) has been, effectively, a companion book to the Pocket Sky Atlas (PSA) for me. I commented on OITH a while back (4th ed) in a CN thread (click here).

OITH is about the same size as the PSA, has much descriptive information throughout (including RA/Dec, size, magnitude, and bino/scope use symbols), with about a line for each deep sky object listed and plotted (by constellation). As I mentioned in the old post, the OITH charts are not good enough for me so I need the PSA to find the stuff listed in the OITH.

So a companion guide to the PSA already exists, at least for me -- its name is OITH and I have marked my copy extensively with notes, arrows, etc. Why, just last night I grabbed ONLY those two books and was hunting DSOs in Mon, CMa, and Pup with great success (16 objects!) using my old, orange-tube C-8 sct. Give it a look and you may like it. It is not that expensive (~$30 from the author's website -- birrendesign.com) and it is spiral-bound for easy field use.

Moondoggy
sage

Reged: 03/17/08

Loc: Jack Daniels Country
Re: Pocket Sky Atlas object list new [Re: JimK]
      #5659320 - 02/03/13 03:12 AM

Jim after reading your comments and checking the thread and websites,I will order some of these "OITH" for the 3 or 4 PSA I already have. I own many great Atlases from S & T and enjoy them,but as I am getting older and getting tired of hauling loads of stuff with my weak bad back, I can not wait on S&T to make Business desitions. I do truly understand that a business has to take risk ,and I hope in the future they "S&T make a suppliment for the PSA.

BobinKy
Post Laureate

Re: Pocket Sky Atlas object list new [Re: Moondoggy]
      #5660029 - 02/03/13 01:48 PM

Jim...

I never made the connection before, but you are correct that OITH makes a nice companion to the PSA. Thank you for the post.

stevew
Now I've done it

Reged: 03/03/06

Loc: British Columbia Canada
Re: Pocket Sky Atlas object list new [Re: JimK]
      #5660553 - 02/03/13 06:39 PM

Quote:

I hadn't thought of this before in this way, but the book "Objects in the Heavens" (OITH) has been, effectively, a companion book to the Pocket Sky Atlas (PSA) for me. I commented on OITH a while back (4th ed) in a CN thread (click here).

OITH is about the same size as the PSA, has much descriptive information throughout (including RA/Dec, size, magnitude, and bino/scope use symbols), with about a line for each deep sky object listed and plotted (by constellation). As I mentioned in the old post, the OITH charts are not good enough for me so I need the PSA to find the stuff listed in the OITH.

So a companion guide to the PSA already exists, at least for me -- its name is OITH and I have marked my copy extensively with notes, arrows, etc. Why, just last night I grabbed ONLY those two books and was hunting DSOs in Mon, CMa, and Pup with great success (16 objects!) using my old, orange-tube C-8 sct. Give it a look and you may like it. It is not that expensive (~$30 from the author's website -- birrendesign.com) and it is spiral-bound for easy field use.

Wow, this looks great.
Thanks for the link.

Steve

Mike Lynch
sage

Reged: 04/07/06

#6139577 - 10/15/13 06:27 PM Attachment (31 downloads)

All,

I had mentioned earlier that I had created an observing list in SkyMap Pro Version 9 from the list of objects we were provided. (Thanks again, Richard!)

Well, I eventually created a Word document, with the objects arranged in tables by constellation (alphabetical). As I mentioned in one of my last posts, this document, which is attached, likely misses a few of the objects in the Pocket Sky Atlas. But I really think the vast majority of them are there.

I talked to Tony Flanders, who tells me that by providing the attached document to you, I am not violating any copyright of Sky & Telescope.

Take a look... It's a simple document with object name, type, brightness, and size.

If you find objects from PSA that are missing, please let me know.

I think this will be a handy aid to ovserving with PSA!

Edit: Let me know if I need to upload a different version...such as a rich-text format one!

Edited by Mike Lynch (10/15/13 06:29 PM)

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

Re: Pocket Sky Atlas object list [Re: Mike Lynch]
      #6141930 - 10/16/13 10:11 PM

Quote:

Many of us have sung the praises of the Pocket Sky Atlas, but I'm wondering if anyone has created a list of the objects on its maps with data such as magnitude and size.

It would be a handy reference for people to have in the field to quickly determine if their particular scope or binocular is likely to detect an object on a page in the P.S.A.

Mike Lynch
Frankfort KY USA

Sky Atlas 2000 has a complete list of objects. They seem similar, and I would almost gurantee every object in the pocket atlas is in the sky atlas 2000 reference guide.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2734

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics