Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1
ahlberto
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/06/08

Loc: lisbon-portugal
antares speers-waler 5-8 zoom mark II new
      #5037483 - 01/25/12 04:23 PM Attachment (39 downloads)

Hi.My latest aquisition is the antares speers-waler 5-8 zoom mark II and i must say,what a incredible eyepieçe.This is a must have eyepieçe and the performançe is well known since there is reviews here in CN.It isnt a cheap eyepieçe but is really well made and has first class optics.Definitely one of mi best buys and a keeper

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kepheus
sage

Reged: 10/11/09

Loc: Germany
Re: antares speers-waler 5-8 zoom mark II new [Re: ahlberto]
      #5037531 - 01/25/12 04:52 PM

It's a great classic for sure.

I had about five or six different versions of it!

Here are pictures of two different versions of it's Series I:

Here are pictures of two different versions of it's Series II:

The last image shows the most recent version of the Speers Waler 5-8mm Series II eyepiece. After that version, production ceased. The last version features a new negative element. You can recognize the smooth barrel and the black ring around it. The eyepiece shown by you is the same as the eyepiece presented in my next to last picture - they differ from the most recent version of the eyepiece.

I liked all versions of this great eyepiece pretty much! I don't know why it never had much of attention here on CN, despite some really positive reviews. Perhaps Antares should have used a $400 price tag, so dealers could have presented it's price of $250 as *sale* - as I learned from Explore Scientific eyepieces, folks on CN like to read *sale*. To top the whole thing off, Antares really offered to repair damaged eyepieces. But sure, Explore Scientific offers a *warranty*. Don't get any wrong idea, I don't dislike ES, it's just sad to see the Speers Waler eyepieces to fade away while ES is able to hit the market. At Hands on Optics, the Speers Waler 5-8mm cost about $250, the fixed focal length eyepieces cost $100 each - so they matched the ES sale price for years. Some months before productions ceased, there was a $20 increase in price, so a single eyepiece cost about $120.

- Brend

ahlberto
Pooh-Bah

Re: antares speers-waler 5-8 zoom mark II new [Re: kepheus]
      #5037671 - 01/25/12 06:20 PM

Uau,what a set of 5-8 zooms!!Yes,despite great reviews of this eyepieçe it never was a best seller and it is a shame sinçe this is one of the best planetary eyepieçes ive had and used.Has the production ceased for this zooms?

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
      #5038640 - 01/26/12 09:31 AM

Well if you dont like it you can always put it under your tire to keep your car from rolling downhill...LOL

ahlberto
Pooh-Bah

Re: antares speers-waler 5-8 zoom mark II new [Re: orion61]
      #5039163 - 01/26/12 02:10 PM

I think a Ethos would do a better job.Now...no one as anything constructive to say about this amazing eyepieçe?Experiençes with the new mark II for example??

dyslexic nam
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/28/08

Loc: PEI, Canada
      #5039286 - 01/26/12 03:14 PM

I refrained from recently picking one up, and now I am thinking that was probably a really stupid thing to (not) do...

ahlberto
Pooh-Bah

Re: antares speers-waler 5-8 zoom mark II new [Re: dyslexic nam]
      #5039362 - 01/26/12 03:46 PM

Theres two reviews from David Knisely 5-8mm review and 8-12mm review .Tom Trusock also reviewd the 9.4 SWA Series II .
Im shure if the 5-8mm would have the TV brand on him and a priçe tag of 400 doll it would sell like crazy.They are well regarded in UK and in the whole europe too of course

Ramiro
journeyman

Reged: 05/21/10

#6141995 - 10/16/13 10:42 PM

I know this post has its time in the sun , but I was able to have 2 zooms like these in the first picture , one with orange numbers and the other with white numbers without rubber cup on the top lens . After a thorough test I kept with the white letters , although the orange letters one and rubber cup seems to have a little, just very slightly better contrast , ( maybe it's the feeling for the convenience of watching with the rubber cup) , I 've noticed that has some chromatic aberration in the border on the Moon, yellow , in the old white letters not, I see the Moon in very smooth and neutral color on the edges , achievement seen in the lower doublet of the orange lettering one some sort of yellow ring which I think produce this defect , and another thing that caught my attention is the color of the treatments , in the old with white lettering are clear green and in the new orange letters although they are green I can see some purple reflexes .
Well that's my experience with both zoom models , I leave some reference photos.
Clear Skies .
Ramiro .

dvb
different Syndrome.

Reged: 06/18/05

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Re: antares speers-waler 5-8 zoom mark II new [Re: Ramiro]
      #6142076 - 10/16/13 11:51 PM

I'd love to get one again - I sold my Mark I, cuz I found ithe extending portion didn't slide well. But, the optics were great - finally, a zoom that maintained its wide FOV throughout the whole range.

I'd love to find a 5-8 with a click stop.

I still have a 9-12 Mark II, which was great with my C9.25, but it isn't really a useful range with my current line of shorter FL scopes. I believe I read somewhere that the 9-12 can be modified to make it a 5-8.

Andy Howie
sage

Reged: 09/10/05

Loc: Paisley, Scotland
Re: antares speers-waler 5-8 zoom mark II new [Re: dvb]
      #6142252 - 10/17/13 03:29 AM

A wonderful set of pics guys !!

I have the MKI with orange lettering. One of my favourite eyepieces, it gets used often.

I also had the MKII silver coloured 7.5 & 10mm fixed focal length 'pieces. They too, gave great views and I'm kicking myself, that I sold them on, especially the 10mm.

For use in scopes with a FL faster than say 800mm, an adapter piece can be screwed in between the lower lens housing and body, turning it into a 3-4.8mm zoom. Telescope Service sell this adapter, but I believe you can use a 40mm long, M43 Vixen extension tube, part #2957.
Basically as long as it has the following specs -
length/height = 41mm
Outside diam = 45mm
Inside diam = 39.5mm
Connecting thread = M43x1

The above adapter can be used on the fixed FL eyepieces too, changing the FL by approx 60%.

Andy.

kkokkolisModerator
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/23/09

Loc: Piraeus, Greece
Re: antares speers-waler 5-8 zoom mark II new [Re: Andy Howie]
      #6142261 - 10/17/13 03:54 AM

I tried to get one of these for my high magnifications, under my Nagler 12. I couldn't persuade a seller to send it here (the "CONUS only" issue) and finally, I bought:
TV Delos 10
ES100 9
Radian 8
ES82 6.7
Delos 6
Radian 5
ES82 4.7

7 eyepieces of which the 5 would be covered just by that zoom. Altogether the 5 cost way more, weight pretty more and cover much more space in my eyepiece case, while only 2 have 82 degrees AFOV.
I could also use a barlow with my Hyperion Zoom but the AFOV between 24mm and 16mm isn't sufficient.
If I could get one, I would give it a try, even today.

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
Re: antares speers-waler 5-8 zoom mark II [Re: ahlberto]
      #6142620 - 10/17/13 10:28 AM

Quote:

I think a Ethos would do a better job.Now...no one as anything constructive to say about this amazing eyepieçe?Experiençes with the new mark II for example??

The only major difference between the "mark I" and "mark II" is the construction of the eyepiece. The eyepiece now has "click-stop" detents for the marked focal lengths and the "slot" from the old version has been covered, so there is better control of scattered light and potential dust contamination. Otherwise, optically, the two are basically the same. The 5-8mm version is definitely the better of the two different focal length versions, as the 8.5-12mm shows some mild vignetting at its higher power settings (inadequate size for one of the internal lenses). A friend of mine called the 5-8mm version, "The Canadian Cannon", for its very good optical performance. However, comparing it to an Ethos is a little silly, as it is far less expensive and has a smaller field of view than the Ethos. For the price at the time, the 5-8mm Speers Waler was a real bargan. Also, these are *not* true zooms. They are "variable focal length" eyepieces, and need to be re-focused when changing their focal lengths (unlike true zooms that generally stay pretty close to focus as you change their focal length). They also have a fixed apparent field of view which is also different than most zooms, which often have a somewhat variable apparent field of view figure. Clear skies to you.

Achernar
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA
      #6143168 - 10/17/13 03:20 PM

I had considered buying several of them, but their huge sizes led me to opt for Orion Stratus, then Explore Scientific 82 degree eyepieces. It seems the zoom eyepiece in particular should have gathered a much larger following than it did.

Taras

PeterR280
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/27/13

Re: antares speers-waler 5-8 zoom mark II new [Re: Achernar]
      #6143176 - 10/17/13 03:26 PM

I have the 5-8mm but I don't use it that much due to its size and the push pull of the zoom. It's very easy to throw the telescope out of position.

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
Re: antares speers-waler 5-8 zoom mark II new [Re: PeterR280]
      #6143485 - 10/17/13 06:34 PM

Quote:

I have the 5-8mm but I don't use it that much due to its size and the push pull of the zoom. It's very easy to throw the telescope out of position.

I never have had that problem with the eyepiece in any of my scopes (it is relatively light). I particularly like the 5-8mm version for use to "tailor" the power to match globular star clusters. Clear skies to you.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: antares speers-waler 5-8 zoom mark II new [Re: David Knisely]
      #6143556 - 10/17/13 07:14 PM

Quote:

Yup, I had that happen too because the push-pull was too sticky. It would knock the scope off target.

dvb
different Syndrome.

Reged: 06/18/05

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Re: antares speers-waler 5-8 zoom mark II new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #6143883 - 10/17/13 10:27 PM

Yup. That's why I sold mine. But, I'd love to have a click-stop model.

Ramiro
journeyman

Reged: 05/21/10

Re: antares speers-waler 5-8 zoom mark II new [Re: dvb]
      #6145027 - 10/18/13 02:45 PM

The first photo is a medium lens of the 2 speers waler 5-8 , only to see the diferent color of treatments of the orange letters model and the white letters model have

Pages: 1

Extra information
34 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, cbwerner, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1367

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics