Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Ouranos
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/07/06

Loc: Illinois
CG-4 Polar Alignment Scope Alignment new
      #6139808 - 10/15/13 08:57 PM

I own both a CG-5 and a CG-4 mount. This is my second CG-4. I decided to add a polar alignment scope to the CG-4. The CG-5 already has one. Neither are go-to and the CG-5 is on a permanent pier. The polar alignment scope came today from Agena - awesome people with whom to deal. BUT - the dear Celestron people decided to not put in thumb screws to align the scope. Instead, they have allen screws. I have tried every allen wrench I own but do not have the correct size. You would have thought that one would be included with the scope! Does anyone know the correct size of the allen wrench needed to adjust/align the polar scope? I assume it is metric. Any help is appreciated. Paul

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ouranos
professor emeritus

Re: CG-4 Polar Alignment Scope Alignment new [Re: Ouranos]
      #6143461 - 10/17/13 06:23 PM

To answer my own question - it requires a metric 1.5 wrench. The thumb screws from the original mounting bracket for the scope cannot be used - they are the correct size but there is not space for them, at least not on mine. The silver setting circle (which is minus any numerical imprint) that comes with the scope is almost as thin as tinfoil. I was able to remove the setting circle off of the scope and put it onto the polar scope. Focus is smooth and alignment is fairly easy - although dealing with the allen screws is a bit of a pain. Overall, especially for the cost, I am very happy.

T1R2
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/11/13

Loc: NeverWhere
      #6143623 - 10/17/13 07:58 PM Attachment (20 downloads)

If these are the ones your referring to then the little thumb screws that come with .965 telescopes and diagonal's will work, I'm not sure if these are the ones your talking about?

Ouranos
professor emeritus

Re: CG-4 Polar Alignment Scope Alignment new [Re: T1R2]
      #6143857 - 10/17/13 10:10 PM

Yes, those are the ones. On mine, however, the head of the screw rubs up against the backside of the flange holding the scope - if that makes sense.

Ouranos
professor emeritus

#6143912 - 10/17/13 10:48 PM

I stand corrected. I took the scope out of the mount (again) and removed the allen screws and replaced them with the thumb screws. There was just enough clearance to make the necessary corrections in order to center the scope. I am curious why the holder which comes with the mount and has the three thumb screws is the incorrect size for the polar scope. Regardless, after having put the thumb screws in - the adjustments were MUCH easier. Thanks

T1R2
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/11/13

Loc: NeverWhere
Re: CG-4 Polar Alignment Scope Alignment [Re: Ouranos]
      #6143951 - 10/17/13 11:12 PM

they changed it because the chrome thumbscrews were getting damaged in shipping, did it come with instructions? also if you go to Astronomics website and click on Teles.-Acces.-Finder scopes-Polar alignment. it has an explanation of some sort. hope this helps

Pages: 1

Extra information
7 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 302

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics