Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Astronewb
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/19/11

Loc: Connecticut
Re: Tuning the ZEQ25, YouTube link new [Re: ramasule]
      #6142367 - 10/17/13 07:27 AM

Quote:

also if you add to much and you wreck your motor when you hit something, paper weight.

Ramasule is right about the spring length. But not so right about wrecking your mount if you hit something (tripod).

Because some AP'ers will at one time or another run their cameral into a tripod leg, this is what will happen:

Tracking speed is extremely slow, and the encoder motor has a ton of torque because of the planetary gear reduction.

So, when the mount meets an immovable object (tripod) the motor will force the hinge base loose from under the locking screws and move it until all the free space in the hinge holes is taken up, then the current load will trip a Overcurrent message and the mount will stop tracking.

At that point, you will need to disassemble the mount and reseat the worm mesh (the worm housing will be canted).

Been there, done that, with no detrimental results...:)

Cheers...Paul

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ramasule

Reged: 04/12/12

Re: Tuning the ZEQ25, YouTube link new [Re: Astronewb]
      #6142720 - 10/17/13 11:16 AM

Well john paul this is something I don't want to try, ill take your word for it.

Regardless, it seems a couple of you are running out to "fix" a good mount. I encourage mount disassembly if you like that sort of thing and arent rushed. However as stated if your mount holds well, and your not mechanically inclined, you probably should not take it appart. Myers mount was fine from factory, however I enoy taking things apart. So I grabbed a bunch of springs and tried them all out. There is no set spring tension, just have fun.

Clear skies

Ryuno
sage

Reged: 05/09/13

Loc: Tokyo
Re: Tuning the ZEQ25, YouTube link new [Re: ramasule]
      #6144279 - 10/18/13 05:44 AM

Just for you information. Yesterday, iOptron Support sent me the following mail:

"I would like to share some info with you. A customer sent his ZEQ25 mount in for adjustment after he watched Paul’s video at CN and he determined he had a lot play on his mount and the RA slipped with 20 lbs payload. We received his mount and checked by our technician, both RA and DEC had almost zero play and the RA did not slip when 20 lbs payload was applied. However, if the DEC was not balanced, the RA would slip.

We would not recommend putting the CW at the end of the shaft and then test the RA slippage by loosening the tension adjuster by 1, 2, … turns. Z balanced mount is designed to work ideally when both DEC and RA are well balanced. We would strongly recommend balance the DEC first and then RA. We would suggest customers never shack/wiggle the CW shaft to test any play, such action could create play."

Ryuno
sage

Reged: 05/09/13

Loc: Tokyo
Re: Tuning the ZEQ25, YouTube link [Re: Astronewb]
      #6144291 - 10/18/13 06:05 AM

Quote:

...Before tightening the 3 lock screws, eyeball the hinge base to make sure it is aligned with the raised base on the mount, ie; not angled right or left...

Paul

I just would like to stress that this step is crucial. The first time I did not do this, with the following result, when trying to slew in RA at speed 8. Listen to the sound. At 2 turns out, it stopped with RA overcurrent. (1 turn = 360 degrees)

Tension screw 4 turns out
3.5 turns out
3 turns out
2.5 turns out
2 turns out (motor-stop with RA overcurrent)

All the best for your tuning.
Heinz

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2033

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics