Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1
Charlie HeinAdministrator
Postmaster

Reged: 11/02/03

Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W
What's Up - Stephan's Quintet
      #6146321 - 10/19/13 10:07 AM

What's Up: Stephan's Quintet

By Steve Coe

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Spaced
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA
Re: What's Up: Stephan's Quintet new [Re: Charlie Hein]
      #6152764 - 10/23/13 12:09 AM

Very nice, Steve. I'm surprised how much you could see in the 13.5". Our skies are rarely that good in the Pac NW.

How routinely do you sketch what you view?

stevecoe
"Astronomical Tourist"

Reged: 04/24/04

Loc: Arizona, USA
Re: What's Up: Stephan's Quintet new [Re: Spaced]
      #6152918 - 10/23/13 03:48 AM

Mike;

Yes, I have been to the Oregon Star Party three times and know what skies are like while we are having the monsoon season here in the SW;-(

Anyway, to answer your question, I do sketches when I see something that interests me. I have the lots of drawings in the back articles in the archive on CN. I also have lots of drawings from out in the field that I need to make some re-draws and then scan them in. All I need is time.

I am glad you enjoyed the article;
Steve Coe

JakeSaloranta
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/18/08

Loc: Finlandia
Re: What's Up: Stephan's Quintet new [Re: stevecoe]
      #6156637 - 10/25/13 12:24 AM

Steve,

Great work on the piece! I especially love the Stephan's Quintet sketch made with the 36". The one made with the 13" brings back some good memories of the observing session where I first saw the Quintet with my friend's 8" dobson back in the 90s. Keep up the good work!

/Jake

stevecoe
"Astronomical Tourist"

Re: What's Up: Stephan's Quintet new [Re: JakeSaloranta]
      #6156728 - 10/25/13 02:06 AM

Jake;

Thank you very much for the kind words. I am always happy to hear from a satisfied customer.

Clear skies to us all;
Steve Coe

Spaced
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/01/05

Loc: Tacoma, Washington, USA
Re: What's Up: Stephan's Quintet new [Re: stevecoe]
      #6158490 - 10/26/13 12:29 AM

Quote:

Yes, I have been to the Oregon Star Party three times and know what skies are like while we are having the monsoon season here in the SW;-(

Well, a guy from Central Oregon might consider OSP skies "typical" for the NW but not a guy from Tacoma!

I asked about your approach to sketching because it's something I do just a bit more than rarely, yet you often illustrate your contributions with sketches made; at the same time I get the impression you spend more time looking than sketching. Thanks much!

Joe F Gafford
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/15/06

Loc: Denver, Colorado, US
Re: What's Up: Stephan's Quintet new [Re: Spaced]
      #6159752 - 10/26/13 08:14 PM Attachment (26 downloads)

Stephan's Quintet is one of my favorite targets. In the early 1990's about the second year I had this 18", We had a weekend star party at the Pawnee National Grasslands in NE Colorado. One night I slewed the scope to M27 and yelled out "Dumbbell nebula!" No takers. Another object and I yelled out "Blue Snowball"! Still no takers. Then I slewed to Stephan's Quintet and yelled out "Stephan's Quintet"! By the time I got to the word "Quintet", I heard a rustle in the grass, and there was a line to my scope!

Joe

FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: What's Up: Stephan's Quintet new [Re: Joe F Gafford]
      #6160552 - 10/27/13 11:13 AM

Stephan's Quintet, along with the Horsehead, are two of the ritual "pilgrimage" objects many observers seek out as informal rites of passage in their observing careers. Both objects are well-located in-season for most North American observers, both in transiting relatively high celestial altitudes and in being located very close to easily found celestial landmarks, with most of the challenge to finding them being the keen eye need to pick them out due to their faintness and low contrast. The other classic pilgrimage object (Omega Centauri) is bright and obvious, the challenge being its extremely low altitude at latitudes very far north of Florida, which nonetheless fails to dissuade observers further north from trying to find notches in treelines etc. or over large lakes where it can be seen at just the right time of maximum single-digit (often low single digit) altitude.

Achieving this trifecta constitutes an informal rite of passage, an accomplishment for which you might get a cookie. Or not.

stevecoe
"Astronomical Tourist"

Re: What's Up: Stephan's Quintet new [Re: FirstSight]
      #6160824 - 10/27/13 02:12 PM

Mike, I have certainly enjoyed the Oregon Star Party when I have had the money and time to go. Lots of fun folks. I do have a few really difficult objects to draw that I have yet to take on. Orion Nebula, Lagoon, Veil and like that. There is just so much detail I have not made the time to draw them. One of these days....

Joe, as I mentioned in the lead in to the article I do enjoy galaxy groups. I find it fun to see all the shapes and differences in the galaxies when they are all in one field of view.

Chris, I am more of a brownie kind of guy.

Clear skies to us all;
Steve Coe

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  droid 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 999

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics