Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
JustaBoy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/19/12

Re: Pulled the Trigger on Oberwerk BT-70-45 Binoculars new [Re: Eric63]
      #6149564 - 10/21/13 10:13 AM

Yes,

Please check this out and let us all know.

If memory can be trusted, the 70mm-90° from Garrett are actually 70mm?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
planetmalc
sage

Reged: 10/21/09

Re: Pulled the Trigger on Oberwerk BT-70-45 Binoculars new [Re: GlennLeDrew]
      #6149570 - 10/21/13 10:16 AM

Quote:

Eric,
I have on hand for examination--and overdue for return--the 90 degree version of the Mk II 70mm BT. I assume the prism rear aperture will be fairly similar. If so, a 19mm Panoptic is a wonderful eyepiece for it. Even a 24mm Pan is quite useable, albeit with a *very* small and not too objectionable edge darkening, which delivers the widest true field possible at a nice AFoV and with excellent correction across the great bulk of the field. I've tried both these eyepieces, as well as some of a friend's Naglers.

In the accessories list contained within Chuck's link, they're suggesting that their own 27mm 70degree AFOV eyepiece can be used at 14x. Seems unlikely to me, without vignetting (but who knows?).

What a shame that this instrument (like several others) has been designed to ride in a fork mount, but there IS no fork mount on offer.

Edited by planetmalc (10/21/13 10:19 AM)

Eric63
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/16/12

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Re: Pulled the Trigger on Oberwerk BT-70-45 Binoculars new [Re: JustaBoy]
      #6149573 - 10/21/13 10:17 AM

BTW chuck, where did you get the 60mm figure from?

Eric

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #6149656 - 10/21/13 11:06 AM

Congratulations on your new Binos.. 70mm with angled 1.25 inch eyepieces... That's pretty darn nice.

It's my understanding that doublet-triplet doesn't really matter when it comes to achromats.. the correction is still the same 1 part in 2000.. but this is not a high power planetary double star instrument and it ought to be mighty sweet and any sort of reasonable magnification.

Jon

JustaBoy
Carpal Tunnel

#6149661 - 10/21/13 11:12 AM

Hi Eric,

It's in the link that Rich V. posted above:

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5890567/page...

You have to read down apx 45% of the thread, and you will see Bill saying: "Well, on the positive side, build quality and coatings are first rate.

Unfortunately, they failed the effective aperture test....measured around 60mm.

Measured Fuji 16x70s and got 70mm.

Returning for refund"

There is an even longer thread about the Garretts somewhere on CN...

-Chuck

Eric63
professor emeritus

#6149795 - 10/21/13 12:24 PM

Thanks for the Link Chuck

I have to admit that I’m a bit disillusioned right now. A 36% decrease in light gathering is significant. I remember how I felt after getting my 127Mak and finding that is was only in fact a 118mm scope with a now larger CO!

Hmmm…. I’m going to have to think this one over. I love the idea of the 45 degree binocular and I like the reported quality of build…I just don’t like getting less aperture than what I paid for. I could also look at the 90 degree Garrett, but now I would be trading increase in aperture for perhaps a decrease in performance since they seem to have correction issues.

Eric

Stacy
Star Partyer

Reged: 09/15/02

Loc: Seattle, WA
      #6149858 - 10/21/13 01:02 PM

I was looking at those as well, and almost pulled the trigger on a used pair on A-Mart, but hesitated because of the 60mm effective aperture. A 45 degree 60mm achro? Sounds interesting but not something I'd pay $800 for. Too many wonderful 70mm standard bins around to pay such a premium for the 45.

JustaBoy
Carpal Tunnel

#6149863 - 10/21/13 01:04 PM

Eric,

Just a thought but just perhaps the 60mm issue has been addressed in the new shipment - I sorta doubt it, as Mr. Bill said what he said, only in June of this year...Not enough time?

Perhaps you should call Kevin and inquire? (866-623-7937)

Look for a PM from me (shortly)...
-Chuck

Eric63
professor emeritus

Re: Pulled the Trigger on Oberwerk BT-70-45 Binoculars new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #6150069 - 10/21/13 03:33 PM

Thanks Jon

I really love using my binoculas but my neck is not so thrilled. I think angled will be the perfect solution, especially since I use binoculars as my grab and go instruments.

Eric

GlennLeDrew
Postmaster

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
      #6152184 - 10/22/13 06:30 PM

One thing I like about a 90 degree configuration is that it's unnecessary to lock down the eyepieces, as they will not slide out when pointing up to the zenith--or even several degrees beyond. In my own home-made job, or a friend's 70, 88 and 100mm 90 degree BTs, I never lock down the eyepieces. This obviates the teeth-gritting, annoying 'safety cut' on some eyepiece barrels, and in all cases facilitates quick changing of eyepieces. Moreover, it's generally easy and quick to tweak any miscollimation just by jiggling one or both eyepieces until a different/better seating is obtained.

KennyJ
The British Flash

Reged: 04/27/03

Loc: Lancashire UK
Re: Pulled the Trigger on Oberwerk BT-70-45 Binoculars new [Re: GlennLeDrew]
      #6152222 - 10/22/13 06:44 PM

< One thing I like about a 90 degree configuration is that it's unnecessary to lock diwn the eyepieces>

Glenn,

With an horizontally inclined assembly, the expression to lock DOWN would indeed be inappropriate.

I thus welcome to my admittedly limited vocabulary the word "diwn", which appears could be of Celtic origin.

Am I right, Rick? :-)

Lord Dimbleby

JustaBoy
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Pulled the Trigger on Oberwerk BT-70-45 Binoculars new [Re: KennyJ]
      #6152259 - 10/22/13 07:03 PM

A true Typo, that came by the honest way as the keys are adjacent.

Most of what are referred to as Typos, are in fact messpealings.

Don't let Kenny mess with ya Glenn:-)

-Chuck

GlennLeDrew
Postmaster

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
      #6152307 - 10/22/13 07:23 PM

I'm well familiar with ol' Kenny's impish nature! I'm surprised my iPhone's auto-correct feature didn't catch that one; I'm perennially getting the 'i' and 'o' characters swapping places on me--to the point that it would almost be worthwhile customizing my on-screen keyboard, could it be done.

Rich56

Reged: 06/02/12

#6152396 - 10/22/13 08:15 PM

I was considering these binos too.

I wonder how they would perform with some of the higher power 1 1/4" Naglers?

Maybe u can convince your wife to buy u a pair for your upcoming Birthday Eric...even if it's months away.

Rich

Eric63
professor emeritus

Re: Pulled the Trigger on Oberwerk BT-70-45 Binoculars new [Re: Rich56]
      #6152438 - 10/22/13 08:42 PM

Ah yes, she quickly figured out this astronomy game. She's only paying for the binoculars, I have to cover the rest

But here's the rough part. If they arrive early, I have to put them away until December!

Rich56

Reged: 06/02/12

#6186341 - 11/10/13 11:08 AM

Hey Eric,

Am curious if you've gotten your binos in yet? or did you decide to send them back?

Did you tear into them yet...or show self restraint and are waiting till 12/25?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Rich

Eric63
professor emeritus

Re: Pulled the Trigger on Oberwerk BT-70-45 Binoculars new [Re: Rich56]
      #6186635 - 11/10/13 01:29 PM

Hi Rich

They are still back ordered and I should be getting them in early December. I'm still going ahead with them. After weighing the pros and cons for my situation, I feel that they still fit the bill perfectly. Kevin and Lauren at Big binoculars have been great at answering my questions. I really can't wait to get them.

Eric

aa6ww
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/23/11

Loc: Sacramento, Calif.
      #6187615 - 11/10/13 09:45 PM

Eric, don't worry about the clear aperture. Ive looked through a pair of these on tripods with my pair of 24mm Panoptics and 13mm Naglers and they are breath taking. I have the APM 100mm 45 deg models and they are also impressive but the 70mm size is in my opinion the sweet size for giving you excellent wide field 4+ degs field of view with perfect pinpoint stars.
I recently picked up a pair of Oberwerks 15x70 Ultras and they are beautiful also, and are my favorite binoculars to use, even though I have many other pairs.
Don't let the technical data spoil your gift. They are beautiful binoculars and you wont have a single regret, the second you put your eyes in them. I will promise you that.
A friend of mine last night told me he just ordered a pair of 15x70 Ultras like mine, because we feel like we are holding a pair of TV-85's up to our eyes, so the 45 degs pair with the interchangeable eyepieces has go to be the perfect balance of wide field views with excellent optics.

Good luck on your new purchase. I'm going to get a pair also because I "have" looked through a pair of these for an entire night with my 24 Panoptics and my 13mm Nagers in them and they are excellent!!

Good luck and enjoy!!!

...Ralph

Quote:

I'm going to have to look into this further. I had read that they were at full aperture. Thanks for the heads up.

Eric

Eric63
professor emeritus

Re: Pulled the Trigger on Oberwerk BT-70-45 Binoculars new [Re: aa6ww]
      #6187727 - 11/10/13 10:44 PM

Thanks for the words of encouragement Ralph. The way I see it, I really love the views in my 15X70 Skymaster’s and they only have 63mm of clear aperture; so I know for a fact that I will love the views in the BT70’s.

I considered changing my order to the Garrett 70mm 90 degree binocular but in the end we are only talking about 5 mm difference (63mm for the Oberwerk and 68mm for the Garrett). Also, the Oberwerk has a 4 degree FOV and 4.4mm exit pupil at 16X compared to the 2.8 degrees FO of the Garrett and 3.9mm EP at 18X. Also the 45 degree angle will be better for daytime viewing (I used my 15X70 last summer to do some whale watching along the St. Lawrence River and they were excellent. I just wished I had a bit more magnification).

So yes, I’m very eager to get them and try them out. I have very dark skies at our family cottage and I know that they will shine there this winter.

Eric

JustaBoy
Carpal Tunnel

#6187848 - 11/11/13 12:19 AM

Hi Eric,

First off - I'm sure you will love them.

Now - The figures need to be corrected for the reduced aperture of 63mm.

You cannot have a 4.4mm EP with a 16x63mm. Aperture/Mag will give you the EP. - I'll let you do the math:-)

Thanks,

-Chuck

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3337

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics