Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1
TMK
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/30/08

Loc: A Cloudy Place
11mm Type 6 First Light new
      #6140676 - 10/16/13 11:10 AM

Due to a two week overlay of constant clouds it was not until last night that I finally received a chance to try out my used 11mm Type 6 Nagler. This was another highly anticipated eyepiece for two reasons. First I sold off a 12mm Type 2 a few years back and found I regretted letting it go. The second reason was the 109x and .75 degree field of view should prove very useful on a nightly basis in my XT8 scope.

I used this eyepiece on a night with a bright moon so the results are tempered but very positive. The three objects I spent the most time on were M13, NGC 6705 and the lunar surface. What I found using the 11mm Nagler was an eyepiece with a very comfortable 12mm of eye relief and an extremely sharp and high contrast view throughout the entire field of view. There was a particular uniform darkness that I enjoyed and a beautiful flat looking field that kept those stars pinpoint sharp to the very edge. M13 was very resolved as was NGC 6705 despite the moonlight and the moon itself offered some breathtaking and detailed views.

This may very well end up being my favorite of all my recent buys as this eyepiece just did everything I would hoped it would. Wicked sharp, no weakness or brightening on the edge, comfortable and worked flawlessly with a barlow.

This is a truly excellent eyepiece and if you have an XT8 like I do you cant go wrong with it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Chopin
Canis Insanus

Reged: 02/03/05

Loc: In the doghouse.
Re: 11mm Type 6 First Light new [Re: TMK]
      #6140708 - 10/16/13 11:31 AM

Nice report, Tom. I have found that eyepieces that hover near the 100x mark tend to be my favorite DSO pieces. In my 10" with an 1140mm FL the 9T6 gives 127x and 0.65 of TFOV, so quite similar to your setup. I agree that the T6 series does very well to the edge in all scopes I've used. Another thing you have going for you, is the 11T6 puts you quite close to the magic 2mm exit pupil, undoubtedly one of the reasons that star points agreed with your eyes so perfectly. Again, the 9T6 does this for me in my scope given its 4.5 ratio.

Anyhoo, good to hear of a positive first report! I wasn't feeling enthusiastic enough to view last night, given the presence of the Moon, but then again I didn't have any new eyepieces to "test".

Monoeil

Reged: 08/01/11

Re: 11mm Type 6 First Light new [Re: Chopin]
      #6141436 - 10/16/13 06:07 PM

A few days ago, I compared mine with a Edmund RKE 12mm on lunar targets. Both eyepieces were used with my TV 2.5x barlow.

I alternated them behind the barlow lens, looking at minute details with one eyepiece and switching with the other to check if I still could see them. Small craters, rock formations, soil discoloration patterns, each time, what I could see with the Nagler was visible in the RKE and vice versa. After almost an hour, I gave up not being able to decide which one I liked the most: they were virtually equal, the Nagler being much more comfortable because of its wider FOV (I use an untracked 200 f/6 Dobson).

If I had to keep one of them, I would choose the Nagler without hesitation.

RAKing
Postmaster

Reged: 12/28/07

Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula
      #6141467 - 10/16/13 06:21 PM

Congrats on your "other" cool eyepiece.

I have a handful of T6 Naglers and all of them are clean and consistent performers. Given the FOV they deliver, they are very small and easy to handle.

Hopefully, you will also be able to try out your new 26T5 soon. It's another one of my favorites.

Enjoy!

Ron

TMK
Post Laureate

Re: 11mm Type 6 First Light new [Re: RAKing]
      #6141523 - 10/16/13 06:39 PM

Quote:

Congrats on your "other" cool eyepiece.

I have a handful of T6 Naglers and all of them are clean and consistent performers. Given the FOV they deliver, they are very small and easy to handle.

Hopefully, you will also be able to try out your new 26T5 soon. It's another one of my favorites.

Enjoy!

Ron

26T5

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
      #6144376 - 10/18/13 08:24 AM

Yep, very nice series of EP, lightweight, compact and sharp. I have the 13t6 and one of my most used EP for planetary and globs in my 8" SCT @ 160x.

Clear skies!

Bob

TMK
Post Laureate

Re: 11mm Type 6 First Light new [Re: REC]
      #6144512 - 10/18/13 09:41 AM

Indeed. The added bonus of being almost parfocal with my 26mm and 16mm T5 is really nice.

It took all of about two seconds of viewing before I fell head over heals for this great eyepiece.

ThreeD
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/23/08

Loc: Sacramento suburbs
      #6144772 - 10/18/13 12:16 PM

The only problem I've found with my 11T6 is I'm not sure if my 9T6 is actually better. Of course the same is true if the EPs are reversed. I've periodically thought that I don't need both since they are so close but I run into just enough occasions where one outperforms the other on a given night/object that I keep them both.

TMK
Post Laureate

Re: 11mm Type 6 First Light new [Re: ThreeD]
      #6144783 - 10/18/13 12:26 PM

Quote:

The only problem I've found with my 11T6 is I'm not sure if my 9T6 is actually better. Of course the same is true if the EPs are reversed. I've periodically thought that I don't need both since they are so close but I run into just enough occasions where one outperforms the other on a given night/object that I keep them both.

I'm finding the same with my 9mm Type 1 now. I also have a 14mm Radian that's virtually useless now with the 16mm T5 and 11mm T6 on either side.

I'm considering selling the 14mm, 9mm and 7mm Type 1 and grabbing an 8mm Delos. I'm just trying to figure if that jump to 8mm from 9mm while sacrificing the 7mm would be the right move.

Edited by TMK (10/18/13 12:29 PM)

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Loc: Ontario, Canada
      #6144888 - 10/18/13 01:15 PM

I think the above would be a great move, although I myself had the chance of getting a brand new 14mm Delos instead of having my 14mm ES 100 replaced by a friend who accidentally dropped it.

The 14mm Delos showed globulars with more "pin-pointy" stars while the 14mm ES 100 is a tad less in that regard. However, I knew I would really miss having that 100 degree field, so I opted out of the 14mm Delos, and waited patiently for a brand new 14mm ES to arrive and I am glad that I did because I just love the big field the 14mm ES 100 offers. One night while observing, I had no finder eyepiece at all, so the 14mm ES 100 was used as my finder eyepiece and I was able to find several targets in just using the 14mm ES 100 alone. Of course, I then had a closer look using my 9mm ES 100 after that.

If judging on transmission and clarity alone, the Delos wins in that regard, although the 14mm ES 100 is not that far behind it. (I also went back and forth on the faint galaxy NGC-6946 in Cepheus between my 14mm ES 100 and a new 14mm TV Delos and the Delos had better transmission, but it wasn't that much more).

However, (again), if you want to eek out a really, really faint galaxy or deep sky object, the Delos would be the eyepiece to use for that purpose.

WesC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: La Crescenta, CA
Re: 11mm Type 6 First Light new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #6145147 - 10/18/13 04:00 PM

I have an 11mm T6, which is my current high mag EP at 255x... I really like it a lot too. But I need to get the eyecup extender because I get kidney beans if I rest my eye on the cup. Hovering isn't difficult, but it does get uncomfortable after a while.

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: 11mm Type 6 First Light new [Re: WesC]
      #6148208 - 10/20/13 11:04 AM

Markus, I have never looked through a 100* EP before, is it really that much of a difference over a 82* EP?

They are awful big, but should be ok in my 10" Dob?

Bob

BDS316
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/16/09

Loc: Sol 3
Re: 11mm Type 6 First Light [Re: TMK]
      #6148377 - 10/20/13 12:54 PM

I've been using my 11 T6 in my XT8 for several years now. Perfect medium power eyepiece for that scope. Barlows well too.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: 11mm Type 6 First Light new [Re: BDS316]
      #6148722 - 10/20/13 05:08 PM

Quote:

Markus, I have never looked through a 100* EP before, is it really that much of a difference over a 82* EP?

They are awful big, but should be ok in my 10" Dob?

Bob

Hey Bob,

The difference from an 82 degree eyepiece is quite substantial. I sure can see a big difference for sure. It should be fine in your 10" if you have good counter weights or tension handles.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #6148834 - 10/20/13 06:19 PM

A lot people like the 11 Nagler.

FirstSight
Duke of Deneb

Reged: 12/26/05

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: 11mm Type 6 First Light new [Re: GeneT]
      #6148962 - 10/20/13 07:28 PM

The 11T6 and 7T6 were the first two premium eyepieces I ever bought (both at the same time), both back when the only scope I had was my (former) XT8 and spending that much for even one eyepiece seemed a dizzying, almost nausea-inducing leap of faith. So how did that work out?

Years later, I still have both, plus six more Naglers (including three more from the T6 series) and a full set of Ethos. And I STILL often use the 11T6, because the view is so sharp and the framing is so pleasing in all three of my scopes. The only way I'll ever part with it is for someone to pry it from my cold, dead fingers.

Pages: 1

Extra information
29 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, cbwerner, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 760

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics