Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Reflectors

Pages: 1
B. Cook
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/18/10

Loc: No. California
APERTURE Dobs Pros & Cons new
      #6143813 - 10/17/13 09:42 PM

Looking back thru this reflector forum I do not see many threads on Aperture dobosonians. Looking at Opticsmart web site the dobs seem to be fairly priced and well equipped. They have options for them also at time of ordering. I do not see who makes there mirrors listed. I only found one review on CN review section which was pretty good. But its only one person using it. Any information pros and cons appreciated. Thanks

Bill

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Gary Riley
sage

Reged: 12/01/11

Loc: White Bluff, TN
Re: APERTURE Dobs Pros & Cons new [Re: B. Cook]
      #6143829 - 10/17/13 09:55 PM

Apertura, Zhumell, and Astro-Tech dobs are all made by the same Chinese company just different labeling and maybe a few different options. I have had my Z12 for 4 years and it is a very decent quality scope for the price, IMO. I don't think you will be disappointed with one of these should you decide to purchase one.

Gary

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #6143958 - 10/17/13 11:17 PM Attachment (24 downloads)

Quote:

Looking back thru this reflector forum I do not see many threads on Aperture dobosonians. Looking at Opticsmart web site the dobs seem to be fairly priced and well equipped. They have options for them also at time of ordering. I do not see who makes there mirrors listed. I only found one review on CN review section which was pretty good. But its only one person using it. Any information pros and cons appreciated. Thanks

Bill

Bill:

Apertura Dobs are manufactured by Guan Sheng Optical in Taiwan. GSO has a long history of manufacturing "commercial" Dobsonians. The first commerical metal tubed Dobs, the Orion XT-series was manufactured by GSO about 14 years ago.

Orion's normal supplier was Synta after a couple of Orion switched to Synta, GSO continued to manufacture Dobs, for some years Hardin Optical was the US importer. Today, GSO manufacturers the Meade Lightbridges, the Zhumell dobs, the Astro-Tech Dobs and the Apertura Dobs.

My own 10 inch F/5 is a GSO, I have had it for more than 10 years.. It's one of my favorite scopes.

Today, you have a choice between Synta/Skywatcher/Orion and GSO. GSO generally represents more value, if you want a straight starhopping Dob, GSO has the good focuser, better eyepieces, a better finder for your money.

If I were buying another tube dob, I would buy either an Astro-Tech or a Apertura. The scopes are essentially the same but it's a question of support, both these companies are comparatively small companies that are focused on serving the needs of the amateur astronomer. They provide knowledgeable support, these are companies I want to support..

At this moment, Astronomics is out of stock of the Astro-Tech Dobsonians, so I would be very happy to buy an Apertura from David at Opticsmart.. He's an amateur astronomer himself...

Jon

Wingryder

Reged: 09/23/13

Loc: 28.34n, 81.20w
Re: APERTURE Dobs Pros & Cons new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #6144057 - 10/18/13 12:36 AM

I just bought a 12" Apertura Dob. I was very impressed by the build quality. The Alt/Az bearings are well built and very smooth. I got the upgraded kit that includes tube flocking, stronger collimation springs, light shield, better collimation knobs. I have only had it out in the sky a couple of times thus far, but I am VERY pleased with my purchase. It seems to be the best aperture/$ you can get.

coopman
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/23/06

Loc: South Louisiana
Re: APERTURE Dobs Pros & Cons new [Re: Wingryder]
      #6144317 - 10/18/13 07:11 AM

I have the Apertura AD10. It's a great scope for the money, one of the best bangs for the buck available. There are a lot more options for them than when I got mine about 18 months ago.

George Methvin
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/30/06

Loc: Central Texas
Re: APERTURE Dobs Pros & Cons new [Re: coopman]
      #6144386 - 10/18/13 08:26 AM

I have the Zhumell 12 dob same as the Aperture I got it about two months ago. I do not think you can get a better scope for your money. The optic are very sharp on good nights no problem using a 4mm eyepeice the widefield views using a 38mm 70deg eyepeice will blow you away. The build and look of the scope is great no better deal for your money. Don't think about it just get one you will not be sorry. I also have a Meade 10 SCT now it just sits there I just don't use it anymore it's just easyer to use my dob and the view are better.

AlBoning
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/06/11

Re: APERTURE Dobs Pros & Cons new [Re: George Methvin]
      #6144515 - 10/18/13 09:44 AM

I would recommend my thread about the AD8 at another forum, probably more technical information about one OTA than to found anywhere else.

EQ mounting and modifying an Apertura AD8

http://www.telescopejunkies.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=7600&posts=24&...

Be prepared for a long read, like make a pot of coffee.

Billytk
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/22/12

Loc: Lake Mary, Fl.
Re: APERTURE Dobs Pros & Cons new [Re: AlBoning]
      #6145847 - 10/18/13 11:39 PM Attachment (28 downloads)

I got my wife an AD8 with the tweakers dream package and was very impresed with the quality and the views it provided. Also Opticsmart has excellent customer service.

bigstormgirl

Reged: 01/02/12

Loc: NW Indiana
Re: APERTURE Dobs Pros & Cons new [Re: Billytk]
      #6146119 - 10/19/13 06:55 AM

Can't say enough about my AD10. It's a joy to use and the views are breath taking to me.

DonY

Reged: 08/29/13

Loc: Leesburg, VA
      #6146243 - 10/19/13 09:02 AM

I purchased a Z10 deluxe bundle about 2 months ago and am very pleased with it. Nice trade off of aperture vs portability. My Z10 did have a minor problem with stiction in the azimuth rotation which I fixed with Teflon pads. I purchased the Z10 before I knew about the Apetura line from Opticsmart. I've since ordered Z10 upgrades and a Halo (another great investment) from Opticsmart and can't say enough positive things about their customer service. At the end of the day I probably would have still gone with Z10 Deluxe package as that package is worth the 2"-16mm 100deg FOV EP alone. As for customer service on telescopes, Hayneedle.com (Zhumell vendor) requires shipping entire scope back if there is a warranty issue with any part of the telescope (I tried to get a replacement Az bearing kit to fix stiction prob mentioned above). I believe Orion has the same policy. I didn't check if Opticsmart does too. I mention only to advise if buying a scope from an online vendor and want the option to exercise a warranty claim to save all shipping boxes. Even if I'd saved my boxes I doubt I would have packed entire scope back up and payed shipping for a minor bearing issue.

precaud
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/05/12

Loc: north central New Mexico
Re: APERTURE Dobs Pros & Cons new [Re: DonY]
      #6146449 - 10/19/13 11:13 AM

Very happy with my AD10, though it was a bumpy road getting there. Support after the sale at Opticsmart is second to none. Folks tend to under-rate this... until they need it.

dcoyle
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/11/05

Loc: Turbulent but dark skies, N.M.
Re: APERTURE Dobs Pros & Cons new [Re: precaud]
      #6146617 - 10/19/13 12:27 PM

I got an Apertura 10" this spring, and it's is an outstanding scope. I thought the equipment on the Apertura was a better deal than the equipment on the Zhumell. The ronchi test was very good on my scope.

The only point I would consider again when buying a 10" dob is that if one wants digital setting circles, which I have since come to wish I had, the Orion is the only version with them built in. Which is to say, even with Orion's generally poorer price/ performance (IMO), it costs more to retro fit the circles, and they are a bit of a challenge to install.

Dan

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Re: APERTURE Dobs Pros & Cons new [Re: dcoyle]
      #6146681 - 10/19/13 01:09 PM

Quote:

The only point I would consider again when buying a 10" dob is that if one wants digital setting circles, which I have since come to wish I had,

that would add $500 to the cost for dsc

http://www.astrosystems.biz/Zuhmell.htm

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: APERTURE Dobs Pros & Cons new [Re: Pinbout]
      #6148183 - 10/20/13 10:39 AM

BTW...the fellow who wrote the review, John Kramer is a very knowledgeable astronomer. I just got the A-10 with the tweakers package. Well worth the upgrade. It is a well made scope and the base is very smooth. The views are very good and the people at Optics Mart are a pleasure to deal with.

I now split my time with my other scopes and sometimes have all three out at once

B. Cook
professor emeritus

Re: APERTURE Dobs Pros & Cons new [Re: REC]
      #6148204 - 10/20/13 10:59 AM

Thanks for the responces. I will get the AD12 package with the Tweakers package. I have had several Orion scopes which were fine but do not come as fully equipped as the Aperature scopes do. No Tweakers package and especially a 1 speed focuser and no bearings in the base. So this scope sure has theirs beat to shame. I will upgrade it with the Sky Commander system. Next spring can not come soon enough. Thanks

Bill

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: APERTURE Dobs Pros & Cons [Re: B. Cook]
      #6148521 - 10/20/13 02:33 PM

Do you have a chair? When I bought the A10 I also ordered the Starbound chair with free shipping.

B. Cook
professor emeritus

Re: APERTURE Dobs Pros & Cons new [Re: REC]
      #6148581 - 10/20/13 03:21 PM

I also have the same chair. The only thing I do not like about it is going to star partys in the grass the front feet sink into it and has caused several people to end up on the ground. I am going to get a Star Dust chair. At least the feet are curved and with pads that will help in soft ground. Plus the foot rest works also. I tried one at one of our star partys and it was excellent. He did lock the seat so It did not pivot with a couple of braces. A little more money but for me its worth it. Thanks

Bill

Pages: 1

Extra information
10 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Phillip Creed, JayinUT, okieav8r 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1231

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics