Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1
Mike W
sage

Reged: 04/30/06

Loc: Upstate NY
Cave Astrola new
      #6079469 - 09/13/13 09:39 PM

I'm parting out a Cave Astrola mount and need help with pricing. It's a 1.5" shaft mount with an observatory pier. It originally held a 12.5" f6 reflector. I need the price of a 46lb counterweight, the saddle (for rotating rings) and the 8" steel pier with mounting base. I'm keeping the rest. There is no clock drive and the tangent arm is missing. There is one setting circle that I need a price for.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Datapanic
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/17/09

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Cave Astrola new [Re: Mike W]
      #6079518 - 09/13/13 10:21 PM

Back in June, I bought a 1.5" Cave mount for an 8" for $100 that included the clock drive (motor works), both setting circles, counterweight, Cradle, 6" ATM OTA, etc and it also came with a 10mm Orthostar and a variable speed drive corrector and other goodies. But I tend to get lucky sometimes...

There's really nothing you're selling that's desirable, except maybe the mount itself. The Cradle is only going to match up to the 12.5" Rotating Rings it was made for. The 46lb counterweight is going to be too much for anything smaller on the mount, although someone might be interested in it. The setting circle may be desirable depending on the diameter. Without the clock drive, there is no friction on the RA shaft, so something would have to be done for that.

The 12.5" Cave Observatory model was never on a 1.5" mount. It actually had 2.5" shafts.

I found your post and picture from earlier this year - too bad you could not come across the parts to make it complete. Where did they go? The stuff that's missing is hard to come by.

Sorry not to offer advice on what it's worth - maybe someone will be interested in some of it, you never know. With a little work (and money) it could be made into a decent mount.

Chuck Hards
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/03/10

Loc: The Great Basin
Re: Cave Astrola new [Re: Datapanic]
      #6079590 - 09/13/13 11:07 PM

A couple of months ago I sold my old Cave 1.5" shaft mount to partly pay for my 10" Custom Deluxe Cave.

The mount I sold had a functioning RA drive but no circles, no saddle, and no tangent-arm DEC drive, but two counterweights- one was not stock. It had been partly restored and what work remained was minimal.

I got $400 for it.

dgreyson
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/06/12

Loc: South Carolina
Re: Cave Astrola new [Re: Chuck Hards]
      #6080223 - 09/14/13 11:31 AM

Mike, Id be interested in the Steel pier, PM me. It's hard to say what the individual pieces are worth, what you have to sell are not the things that are usually missing from an astrola mount except for the The setting circle. Someone will definitely want that.

Mike W
sage

Re: Cave Astrola new [Re: dgreyson]
      #6081876 - 09/15/13 11:15 AM

HMMM. I just sold the saddle for $100.00 and the 46lb counterweight for $80.00. Buyer paid shipping on both. I have someone interested in the pier and will pick it up for $100.00 I'm making an aluminum pier, and mounting a parks 8" f6 on it. Tried to sell it but no takers without clock drive etc.

tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
      #6081883 - 09/15/13 11:19 AM

wow, you did good. Sad to see it parted out, of course. What you need now is an ATM interested in putting a modern goto drive or something similar on that mount.

-Tim.

Chuck Hards
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/03/10

Loc: The Great Basin
Re: Cave Astrola new [Re: tim53]
      #6081910 - 09/15/13 11:43 AM

Quote:

wow, you did good. Sad to see it parted out, of course. -Tim.

I think the good news we can take away from part-outs is that in this case, the components are almost certainly going to another Cave owner, to aid in their own restoration. So the parts are probably staying "in the family", so to speak.

I know there are people doing a good business making replacement parts for antique lamps and such; there is probably a market for someone doing a similar thing for old telescope parts.

Mike W
sage

Re: Cave Astrola new [Re: tim53]
      #6082282 - 09/15/13 03:29 PM

I'm just parting out what I don't need, and the person getting the saddle and weight will let him complete his scope. I don't need a 46lb weight! The 14 will work fine for an 8" f6. I'm also making an aluminum transportable pier and switching out the shafts with tubing.

Mike W
sage

Re: Cave Astrola new [Re: Datapanic]
      #6082357 - 09/15/13 04:22 PM Attachment (12 downloads)

Quote:

Back in June, I bought a 1.5" Cave mount for an 8" for $100 that included the clock drive (motor works), both setting circles, counterweight, Cradle, 6" ATM OTA, etc and it also came with a 10mm Orthostar and a variable speed drive corrector and other goodies. But I tend to get lucky sometimes...

There's really nothing you're selling that's desirable, except maybe the mount itself. The Cradle is only going to match up to the 12.5" Rotating Rings it was made for. The 46lb counterweight is going to be too much for anything smaller on the mount, although someone might be interested in it. The setting circle may be desirable depending on the diameter. Without the clock drive, there is no friction on the RA shaft, so something would have to be done for that.

The 12.5" Cave Observatory model was never on a 1.5" mount. It actually had 2.5" shafts.

I found your post and picture from earlier this year - too bad you could not come across the parts to make it complete. Where did they go? The stuff that's missing is hard to come by.

Sorry not to offer advice on what it's worth - maybe someone will be interested in some of it, you never know. With a little work (and money) it could be made into a decent mount.

Mike W
sage

#6082362 - 09/15/13 04:25 PM

Never said it was an observatory model. Just that it came out of an observatory and has an observatory pier and base

twhite
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/28/06

Loc: Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, USA
      #6134152 - 10/13/13 12:58 AM

And the good news is that the saddle came to me -- it was the *one* major part I've been needing to complete my 12.5" f/6 with rotating rings. When I found mine, it had the wrong cradle on it (10" with rotating rings or 12.5" without). I've looked off and on for years. I had a set of radius blocks machined by a local machine shop and attached to a flat plate. *Way* too heavy. Even with all the counterweight I have, it's just too much. Very glad to stumble into this!

Mine has the fully rotating DEC drive, but it would be nice to find and/or fabricate the missing pieces for the tangent arm. I *think* all it is is an aluminum plate that attaches to the EQ casting on one end and the tangent assembly on the other end...

(Oh, and hello again, world. It's been a while. Lots has happened in the past several years, but hopefully I'll be back in the mix a bit more.)

Edited by twhite (10/13/13 01:07 AM)

Mike W
sage

Re: Cave Astrola [Re: twhite]
      #6148923 - 10/20/13 07:07 PM

Hello Tony,
I believe what is missing is the tangent arm, the clamp, and the sleeve the clamp goes over. One end of the arm attaches to the nut on the worm, and the other to the clamp. You loosen the clamp when you don't want to use the tangent. You can see the sleeve in the above photo. BTW the pier found a home in Vermont.

Edited by Mike W (10/20/13 07:11 PM)

stargazer754
journeyman

Reged: 12/08/13

#6243065 - 12/09/13 04:29 PM

I'm interested in the setting circle, email me, we can haggle over the price.

Bomber Bob
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/09/13

Loc: The Deep South, USA
Re: Cave Astrola new [Re: stargazer754]
      #6243345 - 12/09/13 06:55 PM

One of the first BIG scopes I got to look through was Jim Vice's 8" Cave Astrola Custom Deluxe - compared M13 & M92 - and it inspired me to grind my own 8" light-bucket. That was in 1976, and I can still see those beautiful globulars in my mind's eye!

youngamateur42
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/21/12

Loc: La Verne, CA
Re: Cave Astrola new [Re: Bomber Bob]
      #6243370 - 12/09/13 07:02 PM

To the OP: does the scope have the guidescope on top of the rotating rings, might be interested

Pages: 1

Extra information
24 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 748

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics