Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Eyepieces for NG60-SM? new [Re: Gert K A]
      #6128772 - 10/10/13 10:44 AM

Quote:

I think the orion st80 is a no nonsense little refractor that is a much better bid for this kind of scope
It is a straight forward wide angle scope that fits in a bag and on any kind of mount.

I agree 100%. ST-80s are simple, robust and surprisingly capable. With the 400mm focal length, a 32mm Plossl provides a 4 degree TFoV, the scope is a super finder all by itself. For higher magnifications, there is significant chromatic aberration but an ST-80 is still capable of splitting the double-double, of providing some nice views of the moon and even the planets..

Jon

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AngryHandyman
sage

Reged: 06/28/13

Loc: Nanaimo, BC
Re: Eyepieces for NG60-SM? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #6130041 - 10/10/13 10:23 PM

If you have a camera tripod or table available, perhaps the Orion SkyScanner would suitable as an inexpensive, easy to use yet larger aperture option?

Pastor Collux

Reged: 09/26/13

Loc: Tampa, FL
Re: Eyepieces for NG60-SM? new [Re: AngryHandyman]
      #6130582 - 10/11/13 09:03 AM

Quote:

If you have a camera tripod or table available, perhaps the Orion SkyScanner would suitable as an inexpensive, easy to use yet larger aperture option?

Thanks to all for the advice. She decided against the Meade 60mm after all (will cancel the order) and ordered a complete like-new Nexstar 102 GT from a popular online auction site (at close to the Costco price). She really enjoyed the view through a 2" eyepiece and when she saw that the 102 GT comes equipped with the 2" focuser, she pulled the trigger herself. The Goto feature doesn't bother her as I'd originally thought and she's looking forward to the convenience of letting the computer do the bulk of the object finding for her.

Despite the change in scopes, I think all the advice given so far should still apply. I still plan on upgrading the eyepieces, but will most likely make the low power a GSO 2" instead. In the meantime, she can share my eyepieces until she gets more comfortable with the scope. I'll let you all know how things go and seek further recommendations in a new thread so as to get this one back on topic.

AngryHandyman
sage

Reged: 06/28/13

Loc: Nanaimo, BC
Re: Eyepieces for NG60-SM? new [Re: Pastor Collux]
      #6130677 - 10/11/13 09:56 AM

That's great, I'm sure she will enjoy the views with that scope!

Gaston C.
journeyman

Reged: 10/10/13

Re: $24.99 refractor! new [Re: gnowellsct]
      #6130916 - 10/11/13 11:57 AM

Excellent, just got one for $33, I'm still planning to get an ES 80mm apo as my first "real" scope. I'll give this one to my son.

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
Re: Eyepieces for NG60-SM? new [Re: Pastor Collux]
      #6130917 - 10/11/13 11:57 AM

The costco version of the Nexstar 102 is much nicer than the Meade 60 ,and of course you'll spend 8 times as much money,but be more satisfied in the long run.

I believe many of the beginner scopes actually need an experienced user to perform to their potential.The average beginnr will be confused and too often give up without ever seeing what he could have seen.Remember even that $24.99 scope would surpass the astronomer Galileo's best views.Most small cheap achromat scopes have terrible mechanicals ;and you still have to watch out for the occasional "learning telescope" with a one-element objective stoped down in a vain attempt to hide the chromatic aberration.

starcrafter

Reged: 08/06/13

Loc: Scranton, PA
Re: Eyepieces for NG60-SM? new [Re: BigC]
      #6131449 - 10/11/13 03:50 PM

Has anyone had any trouble ordering these things? I ordered three of them a few days ago and my order has said "shipping soon" for three days now. Has anyone else had any issues with their orders?

5RNS

Reged: 08/19/13

Loc: Arizona
Re: Eyepieces for NG60-SM? new [Re: starcrafter]
      #6132183 - 10/11/13 10:55 PM

There's another post saying that the shipping soon status remained throughout the process. Up to and including the delivery. Mine is also statused this way currently.

StrangeDejavu
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/20/13

Loc: Florida
Re: Eyepieces for NG60-SM? new [Re: 5RNS]
      #6132198 - 10/11/13 11:05 PM

Quote:

There's another post saying that the shipping soon status remained throughout the process. Up to and including the delivery. Mine is also statused this way currently.

Correct, mine was still being processed when it arrived. It wasn't until a week or two after it arrived that I got an e-mail from Meade that said "your order has shipped!".

starcrafter

Re: Eyepieces for NG60-SM? new [Re: StrangeDejavu]
      #6132432 - 10/12/13 03:24 AM

Oh, that's weird, but ok! I just want to try my new cheapo scope! Luckily it seems the equipment curse is occurring whilst the new items are in transit

Mxplx2
sage

Reged: 09/12/12

Loc: NE PA USA
Re: Eyepieces for NG60-SM? new [Re: starcrafter]
      #6135340 - 10/13/13 04:24 PM

I received mine three days ago and, it took 6 business days from ordering to my receiving it. It came in good condition and assembled easily. It's definitely a beginner's scope and the instructions make that clear. Meade is not trying to pull a fast one. It's got lots of plastic and is somewhat wobbly, but when the shake stops it gives crisp views.

I loaded the Autostar Suite Astronomer Edition that comes with it, but it only seems to operate in the present time wise, and can't be changed to the future or past. Googling online, I got the impression that the software is used to operate a scope through a computer, and that makes no sense when it came with this scope. (Unless I'm really wrong.)

Why did I buy a beginner's scope? I am a beginner but I'm 70 and can afford to go expensive, but I've read here that those with decades of experience started with minimal equipment, and if they're still at it decades later, that must be the path to follow. Start small and grow.

starcrafter

Re: $24.99 refractor! new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #6140177 - 10/16/13 01:25 AM

So, my scope has finally arrived! Now, I know basically nothing about refractors, so how would I go about collimating this thing? (The manual is essentially mute on the subject)

Edited by starcrafter (10/16/13 01:36 AM)

StrangeDejavu
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/20/13

Loc: Florida
Re: $24.99 refractor! new [Re: starcrafter]
      #6140186 - 10/16/13 01:32 AM

Quote:

so how would I go about collimating this thing?

The nice thing about refractors is they don't require collimation. In 1 year, that scope will likely be as sharp as it is tonight.

starcrafter

Re: $24.99 refractor! new [Re: StrangeDejavu]
      #6141759 - 10/16/13 08:43 PM

That's a bit of a godsend, because I still have some difficulty collimating my XT8

5RNS

Reged: 08/19/13

Loc: Arizona
      #6141846 - 10/16/13 09:26 PM

Received mine as well. I did get a "it's shipped" email on the same day it arrived.
The mount is as shaky as reported. The red dot finder scope is pretty *BLEEP*. I will have to see if it's worth saving. The scope gives some nice little views especially when using eyepieces from my C8.
It was money well spent in my opinion. The kids love it and have used it nightly since it's arrival. It's nice to have them drag it in the backyard without worries.

starcrafter

Re: $24.99 refractor! new [Re: 5RNS]
      #6141871 - 10/16/13 09:47 PM

The equipment curse has nailed me since it arrived. I don't think it's the scopes fault, I blame the TV plossls I have on the way

Edited by starcrafter (10/16/13 09:47 PM)

Pastor Collux

Reged: 09/26/13

Loc: Tampa, FL
      #6143308 - 10/17/13 04:44 PM

Mine came in yesterday. This was to be my wife's first scope, but she opted for the NexStar 102GT GoTo instead, which was delivered the other day (beautiful scope BTW).

So this little Meade will be tucked safely into its blue Meade Instruments tripod bag and will ride in the trunk as a quick grab and go scope. With any luck, its first light will be Friday's penumbral lunar eclipse.

Clear skies!

starcrafter

Re: $24.99 refractor! [Re: Pastor Collux]
      #6149000 - 10/20/13 07:45 PM

Son of a... I wanted to try these scopes before I bought a few of them to make sure they were decent. They seem to be capable performers -- I had mine out under less than stellar conditions, and was able to see the moons of Jupiter. I decided they'd make a great Christmas present for some of my friend's kids... but now the sale is over

mwedel
Works with Sauropods

Reged: 12/16/07

Loc: Claremont, CA
      #6149235 - 10/21/13 02:11 AM

I had the same thought. My son is getting interested in this stuff and today we were looking at various things while he assembles his birthday wish list. I tried to show him this scope but the link to the sale page is dead now, although they still have the scope at regular price on a separate page.

Good thing I already have one stashed in the closet for him!

rnc39560
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/23/13

Loc: MS coast
Re: $24.99 refractor! new [Re: mwedel]
      #6149336 - 10/21/13 06:48 AM

I missed it too. Checked on it a couple days ago. It was a dead link Friday afternoon. Its getting close to Christmas though. There will be a few great deals again!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2026

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics