Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
navorche123

Reged: 10/11/13

binoculars on eq2 mount? new
      #6151188 - 10/22/13 07:45 AM

Hi guys
I have recently bought a 6 inch Newtonian( not delivered yet )..that comes with a eq2 mount.
I was just wondering if there is any way to use that mount for my nikon 12x50 binoculars as well...using some adapter or some ingenuity. .?
Thank you l

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BSJ
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/22/08

Loc: Grand Isle, VT
Re: binoculars on eq2 mount? new [Re: navorche123]
      #6151204 - 10/22/13 08:01 AM

Yes you could do it. But you'd have to find some way to get into position to view through the binocs. Handstands can get a little tiring if you have to use them for too long...

The sky moves so slowly at 12x that you don't need a tracking mount.

navorche123

Reged: 10/11/13

Re: binoculars on eq2 mount? new [Re: BSJ]
      #6151240 - 10/22/13 08:39 AM

Ok..but is there any special adapter that I would need?

Rich V.
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/02/05

Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada, USA
Re: binoculars on eq2 mount? new [Re: navorche123]
      #6151611 - 10/22/13 12:31 PM

The Nikon binos you have can use a standard bino L bracket that attaches with a 1/4"-20 screw into the binocular hinge. The bottom of the L bracket would have to attach to the mount with a 1/4" stud.

Even so, binoculars need to remain pretty much horizontal for comfortable viewing; a GEM mount will make the binos inscribe an arc as it tracks. Twisting your neck sideways to look through the binos can be painful!

Also, even if you could keep the binos level, the low height of the EQ2 tripod will likely keep you from finding a comfortable position to view from.

If you can lay the RA axis horizontal and use the GEM as an alt/az, which I don't know, at least the binos will be in the required horizontal orientation. Whether you can comfortably view this way is another question...

Your best bet would be to get a tall monopod or inexpensive tall photo tripod with a 2-way video head.

A good read from the Binocular forum:

Binocular Mounts - Tripods - Adapters - Motions - Homemade

Rich

Falcon-
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/11/09

Loc: Gambier Island, BC, Canada
Re: binoculars on eq2 mount? [Re: Rich V.]
      #6151748 - 10/22/13 01:46 PM

This has already been answered in generalities, so here are some specific parts (I am sure there are other sources for these then Orion as well)

- Adaptor to go from the EQ2 to a 1/4-20 bolt (when the EQ2 is used without the newtonian)
- Binocular adaptor that can be used with any tripod, monopod, or other 1/4-20 bolt connection

Pages: 1

Extra information
5 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 197

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics