Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Electronically Assisted Astronomy

Pages: 1
donnie3
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/15/04

Loc: bartlesville oklahoma
question about your video setup new
      #6152373 - 10/22/13 08:02 PM

does anyone astro video without tracking and if so, whats the best exposure time for this setup. im looking for a simple setup for winter because it seem the older you get the cold effects you more and living a cool climate trying polar align, set goto and camera setting your ready to go back inside. I envy those who live In warm climates. maybe thinking about using my intelliscope for this, very easy and fast to align. thanks, donnie

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
A. Viegas
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/05/12

Loc: New York City/ CT
Re: question about your video setup new [Re: donnie3]
      #6152412 - 10/22/13 08:23 PM

Donnie,

Why can't you run a few wires inside to your house and view from the comfort of inside? Its not that expensive or much trouble to get a few USB repeater cables a hub and svideo or composite cable...

Al

donnie3
Carpal Tunnel

Re: question about your video setup new [Re: A. Viegas]
      #6152471 - 10/22/13 09:07 PM

not a bad idea a.viegas. does it matter how long the cables are.

pdfermat
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/12/07

Loc: Wisconsin
      #6152594 - 10/22/13 10:15 PM

I've got one question and one suggestion, first the suggestion:

I'm running my scope remotely from my house without running any extra or long wires using something called "TeamViewer". It's a free program that allows you to control a computer remotely from another computer via the Internet. Check it out - I've loved it so far. (Of course, you need to have both computers on Internet access, but it may be what you are looking for.)

Now the question: let's say you do get a remote setup working, how is this going to work for you without goto or tracking? Maybe I'm not understanding what you are trying to do, but if you point your Intelliscope at a certain target, by the time you go inside to view the live video, it will have drifted through the field.

A. Viegas
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/05/12

Loc: New York City/ CT
Re: question about your video setup new [Re: pdfermat]
      #6152624 - 10/22/13 10:36 PM

I use teamviewer also. It is good. But I run cables as I want the direct USB video,feed in the house and I run a composite cable in also. USB repeater cables are 5m long and out can string up to 4 with a hub at the end with not much trouble so 70ft roughly

Al

donnie3
Carpal Tunnel

Re: question about your video setup new [Re: A. Viegas]
      #6152812 - 10/23/13 12:41 AM

pdfermat, I was referring to just out side using the intelliscope. to go inside I would have to use my cg5 or se mount for that. thanks for the suggestion. donnie

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#6153198 - 10/23/13 09:04 AM

Forget it. Without tracking, your barely acceptable exposures will top out at a few seconds.

pdfermat
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/12/07

Loc: Wisconsin
Re: question about your video setup new [Re: rmollise]
      #6153378 - 10/23/13 10:36 AM

Quote:

Forget it. Without tracking, your barely acceptable exposures will top out at a few seconds.

Very true. I was recently amazed at how quick you can get pretty significant star trails. I was setting up my Orion autoguider the other night, and had the finder/cam not attached to a scope, just on my deck and pointing at the zenith. I had the exposure time set to 2 seconds, and the stars were most definitely not points - they were little dashes.

I will say, however, that one exception to "there must be tracking" could be video of the moon. I've seen on NSN where someone has an un-driven dob, and they just let the moon drift through the field (kind of cool). Maybe this could work for some of the planets as well? I'm sure you wouldn't be able to get a lot of detail, but perhaps something.

Dwight J
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/14/09

Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Re: question about your video setup [Re: pdfermat]
      #6153517 - 10/23/13 11:55 AM

You will need tracking to view planets in any detail. The long focal length necessary would make keeping the planet in the field long enough virtually impossible. You could view the Jupiter's moons but the length of exposure would overexpose the disk - and the focal length would have to be quite short to have any chance of seeing anything as manual tracking, especially with an alt/az mount, is very challenging. Keep in mind the moon is 1/2 degree in diameter and Jupiter at it's largest is 48 arc seconds.

Pages: 1

Extra information
4 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  David Pavlich, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 451

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics