Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | >> (show all)
dve1
journeyman

Reged: 03/22/12

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: neilson]
      #6154050 - 10/23/13 04:34 PM

Neilson,

Are you saying that you think all of your problems were solved by rotating the SS camera?

Any possibility you could post a picture or give a further description of what you mean by "turned the camera so it is pointing straight up"?

Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: dve1]
      #6154064 - 10/23/13 04:49 PM

There is a new update on SS I think, was on Team Celestron, heres the link, Kasey
http://www.celestron.com/c3/support3/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownlo...,7

neilson
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/22/10

Re: Celestron StarSense [Re: dve1]
      #6154310 - 10/23/13 07:45 PM

Hi dve1,
The Celestron Engineer said that that should not have made a difference. It might have just been a coincidence. I will be doing more testing tonight to verify this. I will post my results in a few hours.

Another tester just reported that he tried turning his camera several different positions and it made no difference so it was probably just a coincidence.

I just finished testing.
I wasn't able to get enough stars for an alignment until one hour 15 minutes after sunset. After several alignments with poor goto's and one failed align. and one lock up during alignment, I finally got good goto's.
I turned my camera back to 45 deg angle, did a calibrate camera. I got one lock up on 3rd alignment point, one failed alignment and several alignments with very poor goto's.
I turned my camera straight again, and calibrated camera. I got 2 lock ups, one failed alignment, many alignments with poor goto's, and one alignment with good goto's in the north only.

In conclusion: With my Starsense the goto's were just a little better with the camera straight up. But it shouldn't matter how you position it and I would only change it straight up if you keep having poor goto's. Be sure you calibrate camera each time you change it's position.
All the lock ups, failed alignments and very poor goto's are problems when SS is used on the CGE. Other models appear to be having much better results. You should not base your decision on buying the SS on my results unless you have a CGE.

Neilson

Edited by neilson (10/24/13 02:25 AM)

dve1
journeyman

Reged: 03/22/12

#6155469 - 10/24/13 12:39 PM

Hi Neilson,

Thanks for the info. I already have a SS so I'm not looking for a recommendation; just trying to head off/solve problems. I have a CGEM mount (as opposed to CGE) but I'm also having problems/mixed results in my first couple attempts. I haven't ruled out operator error yet and I haven't updated to the latest Beta firmware so I'm holding off on posting my results for the moment.

neilson
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: dve1]
      #6155675 - 10/24/13 02:26 PM

Your not alone, Some people are having great results and some others are not on the same types of mounts. I would at least be updated with the most recent public released update, or the beta update. If your still having problems, posting here or especially on Team Celestron can help them troubleshoot problem areas or they might help you get yours working correctly. Good Luck,

Neilson

LarryinCA
sage

Reged: 09/26/03

Loc: Sonora, CA
      #6156357 - 10/24/13 09:02 PM

Anyone using this with a CPC1100 and how is it working with auto and manual setup?

cheesehead

Reged: 06/27/12

Loc: Lake Geneva, WI.
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: LarryinCA]
      #6156777 - 10/25/13 03:33 AM

Cheesehead Reporting Again,
I was very happy with my first outing obviously. The 2nd night wasn't as good. A freeze up on initial alignment. Subsequent alignments were successful but on the outer 30 percent of the field of view for my explore scientific 82 degree field of view 24mm. I thought about was different and came to the conclusion that I was being sloppy with my north and level. Tonight I was very careful about those things and the results much better. I did have the first 2 alignments freeze on me but the 3rd was dead center in the same eyepiece. So it could be better by eliminating the freeze ups but when it works it works really well for me so far.

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: cheesehead]
      #6156857 - 10/25/13 06:39 AM

Cheesehead, are you on a ALT/AZ mount or GEM? I have seen more than once that with a GEM mount leveling does not matter,,,,
Kasey

cheesehead

Reged: 06/27/12

Loc: Lake Geneva, WI.
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #6157271 - 10/25/13 11:34 AM

It's a cg5. Well if that is the case maybe it's pointing more accurately to north.

neilson
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: cheesehead]
      #6158046 - 10/25/13 07:12 PM

I'm still not having any luck with my CGE. They have been busy with non SS business. I wish they would let the engineers focus on fixing these problems. I would much rather be posting on how my SS is working so great now.

Neilson

Lee.S

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: New Mexico USA
      #6158398 - 10/25/13 11:01 PM

Larryinca,I've been using the SSA on my CPC1100HD in the azmeth set up and have no problems with the alignment process as of yet I use the CPC portable and set up in different areas within ten miles of this location usually after a successful align I choose the blue snowball as my first target which has always been within the eyepiece close to center.So far I'm visual only with beginning interest into AP when I invest into a wedge.The SSA is doing the operation I purchased it for which is to align with ease though I had no problems with the auto align with the other hand set.I do miss the Constellation part of the menu not on the SSA menu,and the other tour menu is better than the SSA .This of course is just my opinion ....L.S.

LarryinCA
sage

Reged: 09/26/03

Loc: Sonora, CA
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: Lee.S]
      #6158489 - 10/26/13 12:29 AM

t
Thanks for the info Lee. I too am visual only with alt-az setup and have hit and miss success with alignments. I was at a school star party tonight and had two failed two star aligns, i.e. gotos not in the field of view. Three star Skyalign finally worked. Good to hear it works with our setups. Only thing holding me back now is the price, maybe wait awhile and see if cost drops some.

neilson
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: LarryinCA]
      #6159230 - 10/26/13 01:55 PM

Well I thought that the engineer was finally going to get to help us and figure out a fix for our SS units with the CGE and some other mount types but he posted that he is now on vacation until the 4th of November.

hrgreen

Reged: 02/02/13

#6161104 - 10/27/13 05:11 PM

I found a mechanical problem that has been causing trouble with camera alignment on my CGEM changing every time I remove and replace it. The alignment seemed to change one to two degrees.

The dovetail pieces DON'T MATCH. The front screw on the camera part misses the front of the OTA shoe unless I push the camera as far back as possible and HOLD it there while tightening the screw. If I don't hold it firmly, the camera shifts slightly forward.

But this causes another problem. Pushing the camera back causes its dovetail surface to encounter a part of the OTA shoe which is raised, forcing the camera to tilt upward at the back. There is no way to avoid having the front screw making only a partial contact (or slipping off completely), or to having the camera end up tilted. Your dovetail set may differ.

The OTA shoe needs to be longer, or the front screw needs to be moved back. I haven't decided if there is a practical fix yet. Team Celestron has been advised.

Hal

hrgreen

Reged: 02/02/13

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: hrgreen]
      #6161913 - 10/28/13 06:30 AM

Tonight I removed the receptacle from my OTA and put it and the large camera bracket under a good light so I could see what was going on. The reason I could not fully mate the dovetail was actually that the factory had left metal spurs at the screw-holes projecting into the track area. Some work with a file and emery board seems to have smoothed the track OK, and I recommend this to anyone who doesn't like the way the dovetail works.

Hal

milby

Reged: 03/11/12

Loc: Indiana, USA
Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: hrgreen]
      #6170875 - 11/01/13 06:49 PM

Well, I pre-ordered my SSA in January of this year and finally received it yesterday. Attractive device, no doubt. The camera looks nice on my 9.25 OTA. Unfortunately, when I plugged the camera into the AUX port of my CGEM and the HC into the HC port, then powered up, all I got was an orange screen on the SS HC.

dragonslayer1
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: milby]
      #6171163 - 11/01/13 10:11 PM

You might want to check software version and see of can be updated on Celestron site, there has been a couple I am pretty sure, Kasey

milby

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #6171265 - 11/01/13 11:44 PM

Thanks. Not sure how I can check software version or hope to update when I can only get an orange blank screen on the HC

neilson
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron StarSense new [Re: milby]
      #6171374 - 11/02/13 01:52 AM

Hi milby,
Maybe this will help.
Press "0" while turning on your Starsense "mount" and it will reset the unit.
If that doesn't work press the Celestron logo and number "7" at the same time while turning it on and it should say "boot loader". This is the mode to upload new firmware updates. You need to connect your computer to the bottom of the Hand Controller with the appropriate cables. And connect the SS camera using a mini usb connector to your laptop when you update the firmware. The boot loader might even unlock it without hooking up to the computer, if not then you'll need to attach your computer. If one of these doesn't help then you will need to contact Celestron. I had similar problems when I got mine. At the time I didn't know about the reset method, but trying the boot loader got it unlocked.

Neilson

milby

Re: Celestron StarSense [Re: neilson]
      #6171726 - 11/02/13 10:56 AM

Thanks for the info, Neilson. Unfortunately, no go. The firmware updater can't find the telescope (with the old CGEM HC all my other astro-programs still see the telescope, so the connections are OK). Despite pressing the "0" on startup and trying the boot loader method, I'm still stuck with a blank orange screen.

Must just be a faulty unit.

Pages: << 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | >> (show all)

Extra information
30 registered and 48 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 51370

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics