Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Meade LX

Pages: 1
pastordad

Reged: 10/05/13

LX200 used vs. new new
      #6146752 - 10/19/13 01:56 PM

Sorry if this has been discussed before (couldn't find it), but specific to the 200 series, how well do the systems hold up over time? I'm considering one for my next purchase and will have budget for an 8 inch new, but for the same price I could pick up a 10 on the used market. Anything I should be looking for (or not) if I go used? I know the optics have changed over the years, how about the mount? Any parts that need looking at that might wear out? I'm planning to do visual and AP work.

Thanks in advance and clear skies!

Joe Hansen,
Mesa, AZ
Meade ETX-125

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
nitegeezer
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/27/07

Re: LX200 used vs. new new [Re: pastordad]
      #6146993 - 10/19/13 04:28 PM

First off, welcome to Cloudy Nights.

I have had my scope for 9 years and have not had a problem with it. There was a problem with some of the older classic versions which had an issue with some capacitors that needed to be changed out or they could damage the flex circuits.

The next question would be how do you plan on using the scope, visual or photography, permanent mount or portable, and I am sure there are others but they don't come to mind right now.

pastordad

Re: LX200 used vs. new new [Re: nitegeezer]
      #6147698 - 10/20/13 12:27 AM

Thanks for the reply! I'm planning on doing both visual and ap work. For now, it would be a portable setup (fairly light polluted area where I currently live). I'm not particularly strong, so a 10" is about as big as I could handle...

nitegeezer
scholastic sledgehammer

#6147823 - 10/20/13 03:29 AM

Just a couple of lessons I have learned along the way, some the hard way:

A 46lb ota and forks weighs a lot more than a 50lb bag of dog food. I am really glad I did not go bigger, I started out looking at the 12" and that would have been more than I could handle.

For ap, a very strong wedge is needed. I think mine weighs 35lb all by itself. This one was a hard one for me to swallow but as I learned more I finally realized it was necessary.

For ap a permanent or at least semi-permanent setup is needed. It takes me one evening just to get everything adjusted just right so I am happy before I ever add a camera.

If you don't have a camera yet, I suggest a Canon just for the software that is available. This is one area where I will never consider used again, but that is a long story. I am happy with my T3 so far, it is dedicated to the scope so I don't need all the automatic stuff that comes on all of them anyway.

For ap a focus aid is essential, I use a Bahtinov mask as it really makes things easier.

Start out on something brighter like M13, learn all you can about stacking and stretching before you go to fainter objects which require everything to work together.

Don't get in too much of a hurry, the learning curve is steep but is also half the fun.

This is a great hobby, sometimes very frustrating, but even more rewarding. At times you will need to take a step back and take a deep breath as ap is not easy, but remember this is supposed to be fun so don't push so hard that it is not.

pastordad

#6147853 - 10/20/13 04:20 AM

Yea, I am a bit worried about the weight as well. I was thinking of looking at the derotator, to avoid the wedge issue all together (my thinking is one less piece to wobble in the wind). But I think for a permanent location it would be a worthwhile investment. I'm currently using Sony SLR gear (crop and full frame), so I hear things like having to use an eye opener or the equiv to get un-vignetted images is necessary (and that would mean moving up to a 10"?).

I hope I don't end up steering my OP off-topic. I originally wanted to know if used LX200s were a worth-while investment vs. new (I know the new ones have ACF - but even these are showing up on the used market now - estate sales, move ups or folks that are getting out of the hobby for various reasons). I'm trying also to not get ahead of myself and what I can do to get started. I want to be able to do guiding at some point for longer exposures but I will probably be starting off with the DSLRs for imaging, so other questions like clearance under the base in alt mode come into play as well...

nitegeezer
scholastic sledgehammer

#6148448 - 10/20/13 01:35 PM

Hopefully some others will join in now that the weekend is ending. I was trying to stay on-topic and just widening it out a bit. My point was that rather than getting a new 8 or used 10, a used 8 might do the job and then you would have funds left for some of the add-ons needed.

I have never used a derotator, but the wedge has an additional benefit. My gotos are pretty good in alt/az mode, but I need to use a low power eyepiece sometimes to spot the object I am looking for and then center it before going back to high power. With the wedge, at least so far, the objects are right dead center. I have only used it for ap but am thinking about using it for my next school outreach both as a discussion topic and the improved searches. Finally, the clearance issue with the forks is almost gone with the wedge.

pastordad

#6148761 - 10/20/13 05:38 PM

No worries! A lot to keep in mind with a new scope purchase. My only concern with the 8in is the full frame coverage (which I'm sure some of the ap folks out there could comment on). Maybe its not a big deal after all? I'm sure I wouldn't miss the extra 20# on the lift...

polaristom
sage

Reged: 12/17/07

Loc: Alaska
      #6151541 - 10/22/13 11:49 AM

I've purchased several used scopes on this and other used astro equipment web sites and never had an issue until this last purchase. I recently purchased a used 12" LX200R with some nice options. It was lightly used and the price was very fair, in fact I paid the seller the full asking price plus all the shipping costs. When the scope arrived it was dead in the water, I have owned several LX 200 so I'm very familiar with the Autostar controls so I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything wrong or cause this problem. When I contacted the seller he had a very defensive attitude right away and insisted that the scope was 100% functional when it left his possession. What could I do? We'll I spent several hundred dollars on circuit board repair and a new hand controller and finally the scope is in proper working order.
Even with the added cost of the repairs the price of a new scope with the included accessories would have been more so I'm not totally upset. I do wish the seller would have been a little more up front with full disclosure however.
Again, don't let this discourage you from purchasing a used scope. This is the first time this has happened to me and I've purchased many used scopes.
This is just my 2 cents about buying used vs new.

polaristom
sage

Re: LX200 used vs. new new [Re: polaristom]
      #6151551 - 10/22/13 11:54 AM

One other thing, people say a 12" SCT is way to big for one person to handle, yada yada yada.....
I'm a 52 year old office worker and have no problem what so ever setting the scope up and operating it by myself. And the views, OMG - very nice

d33d0gg

Reged: 02/12/13

#6151796 - 10/22/13 02:28 PM

Weight lifting office!

pastordad

Re: LX200 used vs. new new [Re: d33d0gg]
      #6152117 - 10/22/13 05:52 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'm leaning towards buying a used 10" and shipping it over to Dr.Clay for some supercharging...

polaristom
sage

#6152699 - 10/22/13 11:24 PM

Weight lifting office, now that's funny. No, just a normal, sit in front of a computer screen all day kind of office.
I do like the buy a larger used scope idea, I think in the end, you'll be happy.
Good luck and keep us in tune as to what you decide to do and how the scope works out, either way.
Later

AnhTuan

Reged: 03/31/11

#6157556 - 10/25/13 02:22 PM

I have had both 10" and 12" before and I am under 30yrs old. I like the weight of the 10" scope for portability. You don't feel like you have done a good workout when moving the 10". However, the 12" gives you that extra breath at the end and sometimes you think it's quite bit much. However, the 12" is awesome after setting it up.

Both feels the same after session ends. Don't know why. May be the satisfaction out of the 12" outweighs the weight difference.

pastordad

Re: LX200 used vs. new [Re: AnhTuan]
      #6158569 - 10/26/13 02:04 AM

Yea, I'm considering saving up for the 600, since I'm a little worried about the weight and it can be broken down. I might be able to handle the 12 then. The extra time to save will give me a chance to see how others are doing with it and let Meade wring out the bugs...

Thrifty1

Reged: 02/24/06

Loc: Northern Illinois
      #6179688 - 11/06/13 05:26 PM Attachment (10 downloads)

I have a 10" LX200R I use with the Meade tripod and Super Wedge. I'm only 5' 6" tall so it can be a challenge to lift / mount it. My best investment was the "Get-A-Grip" handles from Peterson Engineering. Makes it so much easier to lift and carry the scope - - definitely makes the scope feel lighter.

If you will be using it at home and can wheel it in / out of your house easily, consider buying one of the carts with wheels or make your own. Saves a lot of time with set-up not having to mount it to the tripod / wedge each time you use it. I made my own using a hand truck so I can just tip it back and roll it out.

cavefrog
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/11/08

Loc: loozyanna
Re: LX200 used vs. new new [Re: Thrifty1]
      #6182191 - 11/08/13 02:02 AM

That's a pretty neat and unique idea! I like that. I haven't seen one like that before.

Theo

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, Christopher Erickson, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 903

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics