Astrophotography and Sketching >> Film Astrophotography

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Nebhunter
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/04/03

Loc: Frostbite Falls
Re: E200 - E6 Home Processing new [Re: KB2QQM]
      #5098719 - 03/01/12 01:37 AM

Welcome Greg and let us know how that home brewed astro film turns out. You may want to experiment with various exposures and push processing as well depending upon the target.

igor

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Glen A W
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/04/08

Loc: USA
Re: E200 - E6 Home Processing new [Re: Nebhunter]
      #5477510 - 10/18/12 06:15 PM

I used to develop E6 using Kodak hobby-pack chemicals back when I was a kid. Looking at the slides now, they all still look great except one batch which has turned almost clear. I enjoyed processing the film and it seemed easy. I hope to try it again sometime soon. GW

Nebhunter
Carpal Tunnel

Re: E200 - E6 Home Processing new [Re: Glen A W]
      #5482432 - 10/21/12 05:56 PM

Getting chemicals is becoming an issue. The Arista looks to be doing a good job with less processing involved. I hope to try it soon.

gillmj24
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/06/05

Loc: PA
      #6156778 - 10/25/13 03:35 AM

Bump wish I found this thread a long time ago!

I've gotten into film the last year and developed my own e6 in a jobo processor. I found Kodak single use chemistry from about 2009 on ebay and after a test roll of 120 ektachrome that expired over 20 years ago - still a usable result- I developed my fresh 4x5 Fuji slides and they came out very nicely. The jobo makes everything manumatic but it was still a day's worth of activity to mix the chems and set everything up the first time and then clean up the kitchen afterward.

I have a sinar C 4x5 and a mamiya 645 and rz67. I'm late to the game having gone to film for the sensor size of the larger formats as my digital is 35mm format already. Bought an Epson film scanner but haven't used it yet.

I know Pentax 67 was a standard mount for astronomy as astro-physics' field flattener selection would indicate. Can you adapt that to the mamiya mount I wonder.

TxStars
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/01/05

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: E200 - E6 Home Processing [Re: gillmj24]
      #6159199 - 10/26/13 01:35 PM

You might be able to use the AP reducer with the proper spacing.
You would want to measure the Pentax body and make an adapter that makes the spacing the same with the Mamiya.

keithlt

Reged: 12/21/13

Loc: Arizona
Re: E200 - E6 Home Processing new [Re: TxStars]
      #6292068 - 01/04/14 02:41 PM Attachment (28 downloads)

e-6 film was so much fun for a/p and home development,i used to push the ASA over 10000 chemically buy adding time in the 1st chemical.ok so i just found a color side i took in 1982 of my chemicals and a 20x32 poaster blowup of m-42 done hand guided through a 6" newtonion and pentax s1a.it funny because i just cleaned up the telescope and mount last week.i cant wait to order new equipment and start all over.(this time goto and dslr)

searching4

Reged: 04/10/13

Loc: So.Bay\Long Beach, Ca
Re: E200 - E6 Home Processing new [Re: keithlt]
      #6461405 - 04/12/14 12:43 AM

Hi. Go to Freestyle.com. They are in Hollywood Ca. They have all the supplies you will need. Just found an unopened box of E-6... going to have to get some slide film. It's really easy with the Arista chems. 60 sec pre wash, 6.5 min. for the 1st dev., 4.5 min for the color dev.,1st wash 2 min., blix 10 min final wash 5 min. About a half hour. Hope this helped

Achernar
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA
      #6464555 - 04/13/14 08:00 PM

Whatever kind of developing tank and reels you choose, practice loading the reels with a junk roll of film first. It is very important to load the reels correctly, otherwise your film will be damaged because of it contacting itself or the film getting marked up by improper handling. Practice until you can do it in total darkness. Most films must be developed in total darkness because they respond to the entire visible spectrum, and you must also make sure the room where you are loading the reels is completely blacked out to avoid ruining your film. Alternatively, you can use a "changing bag" which is a light proof bag with sleeves. You unzip the bag, insert the film, reels, tank, lid, scissors and something to open the cassettes with.

I developed my own film when I was a young man, and I preferred stainless steel tanks and reels. Once I loaded the reels, put them in the tank and put the lid on, I could then turn on the room lights and pour the pre-wet, first developer, reversal bath, and bleach fix into and out of the tank without fogging the film. Once the bleach-fix step was completed, I took the reels out and washed the film in my film washer before treating the film in a stabilizer solution.

Taras

TxStars
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/01/05

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: E200 - E6 Home Processing new [Re: Achernar]
      #6464624 - 04/13/14 08:40 PM

Don't forget, Cotton/latex gloves are your friend.
A finger print will show up on the film when developed.

Nebhunter
Carpal Tunnel

Re: E200 - E6 Home Processing new [Re: gillmj24]
      #6470467 - 04/16/14 08:59 PM

Have fun with the developing. I would love to have a Jobo unit. Don't know about making an adapter - probably less expensive just to get a good P67 camera?? Is it the Epson V600? If you get the Silverfast V8 software for it, you will get much better scans - MUCH better.

Igor

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  1965healy, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17569

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics