Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1
Kellogg

Reged: 03/17/09

Loc: NS, Canada
DSLR & Frost exposure
      #6166158 - 10/30/13 11:04 AM

I have a roll off observatory and leave all my equipment out there including my DSLR.

Often I leave the roof open and go to bed, leaving the scope imaging for a few more hours if I know there's no rain forecast.

When I close the roof in the morning the scope and DSLR can be covered in frost, will this lead to any long term damage?

I live in Nova Scotia (Canada) and can expect to see -20C throughout the Winter.

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/23/12

Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA
Re: DSLR & Frost exposure new [Re: Kellogg]
      #6166183 - 10/30/13 11:18 AM

It can cause problems at some point if you do not use some sort of covering.I would use a rain sleeve for your camera if you are having that much trouble with frost and dew. That will help with both the dew and frost on the DSLR.
I would also try covering or using dew removers for your scope,that would take care of that trouble yet a simple cover,plastic bag, I think,would work just as well.

I have yet to use my OBS as it is still in the process of completing.
I do intend to implement these items as I have stated.

rimcrazy
sage

Reged: 03/03/12

Loc: Overgaard, AZ
Re: DSLR & Frost exposure new [Re: tim57064]
      #6166205 - 10/30/13 11:30 AM

Cold in and of itself is not really a problem with electrical things. The issue is in thawing you get moisture and that can be an issue. Some of the newest DSLR camera's don't even have mechanical shutters but ones that do could have issues with very cold weather. Not sure what internal lubricant's are used but I have to believe that there is a limit. You might check DPReview.com. This is one of the most popular camera websites. Check the forum's and see what other's might say about cold weather and DSLR cameras.

tim57064
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/23/12

Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA
Re: DSLR & Frost exposure new [Re: rimcrazy]
      #6166227 - 10/30/13 11:41 AM

I knew someone else would chime in on here.Thanks rimcrazy , I should have left it to the pro's.

shawnhar
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/25/10

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Re: DSLR & Frost exposure new [Re: tim57064]
      #6167163 - 10/30/13 07:51 PM

I drape a small towel over the camera end of my scope to prevent the frost/dew from forming on the camera, doesn't stop the scope or guide scope from frosting over though....grrrr

Cdnpilot

Reged: 09/20/13

Re: DSLR & Frost exposure new [Re: shawnhar]
      #6168073 - 10/31/13 09:55 AM

Getting a DSLR cold is no issue. But constant exposure to dew, humidity and then warming up will cause mold in the camera. At that point the camera will become a door stop.

Alex McConahay
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/11/08

Loc: Moreno Valley, CA
Re: DSLR & Frost exposure new [Re: Cdnpilot]
      #6168992 - 10/31/13 05:54 PM

What about the LCD displays on them? Don't they have limits? I think there are operating temp limits in the manual.

Alex

TimN
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/20/08

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: DSLR & Frost exposure new [Re: Alex McConahay]
      #6178230 - 11/05/13 09:23 PM

I live in a similar climate as you - northern Ontario - and do the same as you do. Normally everything except the camera is covered with frost or dew. Maybe its the cameras slight heat. I haven't had trouble with cold - down to -30C - but I do worry about the moisture when I bring the camera inside and it warms up. So, I seal it in a ziplock bag before I bring it in. I hope this really slows down the time for the camera warming up and therefore not dewing over.

Edited by TimN (11/05/13 09:25 PM)

Aquarist
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/27/12

Loc: Illinois
Re: DSLR & Frost exposure new [Re: TimN]
      #6182560 - 11/08/13 09:44 AM

Well, a dew strap on the camera might solve that problem (assuming you use them on your scope, etc.).

Pages: 1

Extra information
8 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 489

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics