Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
dr.m

Reged: 03/08/12

CGE-PRO
      #6172067 - 11/02/13 02:34 PM

Does anybody think that the new price for the cge-pro is a reflection of the eq-8's replacement for the cge-pro next year. After all , they have been testing the eq-8 out of this country(U.S.A.)for the past year. Perhaps they will show it next year with a chrome tri-pod or a pier. Anybody have any thoughts on my suspicions? All responses will be greatly appreciated. I won't be able to reply individually as I am still dealing with an aged parent in the hospital. That is were I will be for the next five hours. Again any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Raginar
Postmaster

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: CGE-PRO new [Re: dr.m]
      #6172100 - 11/02/13 02:58 PM

Doesn't really matter. The CGE Pro is a dated but sound medium-end mount. Maybe they'll replace it with the EQ8... but until they do, it's still an OK buy.

dr.m

Re: CGE-PRO new [Re: Raginar]
      #6172120 - 11/02/13 03:14 PM

It was not my intention to denigrate the "cge-pro" but only point out it's possible replacement , since as I believe that they are made by the same manufacturer. If I am wrong on this fact I apologize.

Dave

Psyire
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/07

Loc: 55* North
      #6172130 - 11/02/13 03:24 PM

I would be hesitant to state that the EQ8 is a better mount than the CGE-Pro. At least until there is a plethora of 'evidence' posted to support such a claim. It is still relatively hard to fine PE charts & actual images with a broad range of equipment with the EQ8. As with the introduction of any mount in the $3-6K range, this could take a year or two..

dr.m

Re: CGE-PRO new [Re: Psyire]
      #6172171 - 11/02/13 03:55 PM

Pooh-Bah
I did not state that the 'eq-8" was a better mount than the "cge-pro". I only pointed out the possibility that the "cge-pro" might be replaced with a different version of the "eq-8". As far as the time frame that you mentioned, over a year of testing has been put into other countries.
My statements were to make those of you interested only in the possibilities that the manufacturer has in mind. And not to criticize either mounts.

Dave

Psyire
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/07

Loc: 55* North
      #6172305 - 11/02/13 05:19 PM

Every mount gets 'replaced' at some point, and it's usually by a 'better' mount. Not sure that's the case when comparing the EQ8 and CGE-Pro. BUT, it might be.. time will tell I guess. I realize when purchasing a new mount you would want to consider it's longevity in the marketplace, but is there really anything pointing to the 'end of life' of the CGE-Pro? It's currently on sale I guess, but it was also on sale for this price earlier this year..

end
sage

Reged: 08/31/11

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
Re: CGE-PRO new [Re: Psyire]
      #6172429 - 11/02/13 06:58 PM

I too think some variation on the EQ8 will eventually replace the CGE-PRO, but the current pricing doesn't necessarily mean this will happen soon. Two years ago I got my CGE-PRO with 1100edge HD for $6500. These sales come and go and don't necessarily imply a change in product line up. On the other hand, if they were trying to clear inventory, this is how you'd do it

A. Viegas
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/05/12

Loc: New York City/ CT
Re: CGE-PRO new [Re: end]
      #6172759 - 11/02/13 10:55 PM

I am sure there have been some decent comparison or benchmark done on the CGE Pro vs other mounts... But has anyone ever seen a controlled test using the same size telescope with same FL and same imaginng/guiding or unguided comparison in the upgrade steps from CGEM/Atlas/DX/IEQ45/cge pro and then the premium mounts like MX/AP ???

Al

Phil Cowell
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/24/07

Loc: Southern Tier NY
Re: CGE-PRO new [Re: A. Viegas]
      #6173390 - 11/03/13 10:00 AM

I don't image but have an AP900, couple of CGE Pro's, CGEM, CGEM DX and Atlas mounts. The CGE Pro's are sweet mounts, not quite on the AP level but much better than the Losmandy which are now much closer to the sale price, and they work out of the box without constantly having to faff about with them like the Losmandy. The Software is much better also in my opinion. The out of the box PE on the CGE Pro is pretty good now the gears are laped as well.

Just opinion.

Phil

petemumbower
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/12/09

Loc: West Michigan
Re: CGE-PRO new [Re: Phil Cowell]
      #6180510 - 11/07/13 08:28 AM

Well, I took advantage of this and just purchased one. Somehow did manage to get the CFO on board Even got free shipping getting it through Amazon at the $3999 pricing. Now to wait for it to be delivered.

dr.m

Re: CGE-PRO new [Re: petemumbower]
      #6180662 - 11/07/13 10:03 AM

Pete

Congratulations.

Dave

Skunky
sage

Reged: 09/16/13

#6181174 - 11/07/13 02:18 PM

excellent Pete!

I started like you.. CGEM to CGE Pro.. (don't tell the CFO) AP1600..

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
      #6181388 - 11/07/13 04:20 PM

Lotsa' pictures, Pete! Congratulations.

David

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: CGE-PRO new [Re: Skunky]
      #6181396 - 11/07/13 04:23 PM

I like the CGE-PRO but there is a lot of variability to them. There are 15 arc second and 3 arc second mounts out there. As long as they are smooth and consistent it shouldn't matter too much. I was reasonably happy with mine while I had it. Kinda wish I had another one to play with.

petemumbower
Carpal Tunnel

Re: CGE-PRO new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #6181449 - 11/07/13 04:51 PM

Thanks everyone. I have been somewhat active on the Celestron Beta testing site with my CGEM and have a good idea what is going on with these mounts. Plus all the good talk here is helpful to know what to look for and expect. With a 2yr warranty, if something is not right, I will make sure it is addressed by Celestron before that time period is up. I have done pretty good work with my CGEM and this will for sure be a upgrade over that. The other mounts talked about on other threads (AP, SB, etc...) are just too much and at 4k this fits my budget.

ghostrunner007

Reged: 11/13/04

Loc: Alberta,Canada
      #6182001 - 11/07/13 11:08 PM

Pete you will love the CGE Pro, I bought mine when it first came out and I have only encounted one problem, which was the screw that adjusts the spring pressure on the worm drive for the Dec was to tight , once I loosed that off a bit I have never had a problem since

petemumbower
Carpal Tunnel

Re: CGE-PRO new [Re: ghostrunner007]
      #6182768 - 11/08/13 11:34 AM

Should I assume if it is new...that it will have the spring loaded RA/DEC worm assemblies? I heard early models did not have it on both axis. Not sure how I would tell without opening it up and looking right? For that matter, is there a way to know the "made on date"?

ZRX-Steve
sage

Reged: 03/31/08

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Re: CGE-PRO new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #6182972 - 11/08/13 01:32 PM

Quote:

I like the CGE-PRO but there is a lot of variability to them. There are 15 arc second and 3 arc second mounts out there.

I'm under the impression that the CGE-Pro mounts shipped during the past year or two have spring loaded worms and lapped gears that have made a big difference. So there may be a big difference between an early edition CGE-PRO and a new one, but I haven't heard of big variations out of the box with the new changes (spring loaded worms, lapped gears).

I'm considering purchasing one during this sale so I would be interested if you would agree with this assessment, or if you have indeed heard wide variations of new CGE-Pro mounts with the improvements.

Thanks!
Steve

petemumbower
Carpal Tunnel

Re: CGE-PRO new [Re: ZRX-Steve]
      #6183009 - 11/08/13 01:55 PM

I have not heard of any wide variations from the recent models coming out of the factory. The main Celestron website states +/-5" and the Celestron engineering blog site states +/-3"...either one, I will be pleased with.

My concern more had to do with buying a new one that might of been sitting around in a warehouse for eons and being without spring loaded worms, lapped gears. But looking at the order shipping info, I will be waiting until the 20th or so to find out.

DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: NE Ohio
      #6183082 - 11/08/13 02:28 PM

Quote:

My concern more had to do with buying a new one that might of been sitting around in a warehouse for eons and being without spring loaded worms, lapped gears. But looking at the order shipping info, I will be waiting until the 20th or so to find out.

You could always cancel the order at Amazon and order from the CN sponsor for the exact same price you paid. You'd know it was "fresh stock" then. I mean no disrespect here at all, but personally, I'd never order something like that from Amazon for the very reason you site.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
28 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1397

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics