Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
danielchai

Reged: 01/31/10

Re: 12" Skywatcher Collapsible Dobsonian new [Re: Phillip Creed]
      #3596797 - 02/01/10 12:50 AM

Dear Phil,

I also thank your for your review on the 12 inch Lighbridge.

I have a 13.1 Dobsonian Coulter Odssey. A good telescope for $300.00. The coma (or what I think is coma) is an issue. Could this telescope be in the category that you referred to of ‘dobsonian mirrors from the not to distant past’?

Once again, I want to purchase a large aperture telescope for a wonderful price..

The 12” Skywatcher Collapsible Dobsonian is tempting. This telescope is cheaper than the other named brands. Is there a compromise with the optics? In the last few months, did you get to view similar ones?

Does f/4.9 mean greater coma issue than an f/6 plus? Or does this newer primary mirror makes it less of a problem? I believe, in so many words, you stated that the secondary mirror seems small. Could this cloudy issue have a silver lining, meaning that there is less obstruction?

There are two groups of people in this world. The first group methodically folds a roadmap along the crease. Since I belong to the other group, it impresses me to know that the Skywatcher does not need to be disassembled each time. With this advantage, is the sturdiness issue little or none?

I look forward to the feedback from you and others,

Daniel

Edited by danielchai (02/01/10 01:10 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
acey

Reged: 01/09/09

Loc: UK
Re: 12" Skywatcher Collapsible Dobsonian new [Re: danielchai]
      #3693146 - 03/20/10 06:13 AM

Great review - very well thought out.

I have the same scope though mine came with a straight-through 9x50 finder. First thing I did was replace the secondary screws with Bob's Knobs (the ones for Orion XT) which work fine. Second thing was to insert a piece of plastic cut from a milk jug at the top of the secondary holder (where the screws meet it) to aid secondary adjustment - it really helps. Third thing was to apply some Protostar flocking opposite the focusser, a focusser baffle, and blacken the exposed top edge of the secondary mirror with a Sharpie - these greatly reduce scattered light. I use an Astrozap shroud and a dewshield made from a camping mat - this pretty much eliminates secondary dewing, though it still sometimes happens if I've spent a night pointing near the zenith. Making the back of the secondary reflective might solve that but it's no biggie.

Great scope - I love it. Glad you're enjoying it too.

MikeM6

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: NW Illinois
Re: 12" Skywatcher Collapsible Dobsonian new [Re: acey]
      #4092783 - 10/04/10 06:25 PM

Hi Philip,

Now that you've used the 12" Skywatcher dob for a year, are you still happy with it and did you ever buy a shroud?

AcTrust
sage

Reged: 08/11/13

Re: 12" Skywatcher Collapsible Dobsonian new [Re: MikeM6]
      #6057581 - 09/01/13 12:20 PM

This is a Telescope I am considering also but pondering the 10" version for portability reasons.

I feel the light shroud is a must have accessory for this design. Not sure where you can buy one for the 12" SW though.

Also seems like right off the bat a guy needs to get a better finder along with collimation thumb-screws for the secondary and possibly a focuser too.

That is the fun tho, upgrading items over time to customize and make the "perfect" Telescope for your needs.

After the Focuser, light shroud, collimation thumb-screws for the secondary and better finder have been installed I would say this would be quite the unit!

munchmeister
sage

Reged: 04/04/12

Loc: Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Re: 12" Skywatcher Collapsible Dobsonian new [Re: danielchai]
      #6164926 - 10/29/13 04:42 PM

Great review. Still very useful info in 2013. Any recommendations for replacement focuser? Where can one get a shroud? Thanks!

nicknacknock
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/20/12

Loc: In a galaxy far far away...
Re: 12" Skywatcher Collapsible Dobsonian new [Re: AcTrust]
      #6165636 - 10/30/13 01:44 AM

Quote:

I feel the light shroud is a must have accessory for this design. Not sure where you can buy one for the 12" SW though.

This may help: http://www.scopeshrouds.com/

munchmeister
sage

Reged: 04/04/12

Loc: Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Re: 12" Skywatcher Collapsible Dobsonian new [Re: nicknacknock]
      #6170019 - 11/01/13 11:04 AM

Astrozap makes one, I discover. As well as a light shield. And a Moonlight focuser would be a nice, if relatively expensive, mod. Astro systems also makes a high end, easy to use laser/ barlow collimator.

coutleef
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/21/08

Loc: Saint-Donat, Quebec, Canada
Re: 12" Skywatcher Collapsible Dobsonian new [Re: munchmeister]
      #6173309 - 11/03/13 09:02 AM

Quote:

Great review. Still very useful info in 2013. Any recommendations for replacement focuser? Where can one get a shroud? Thanks!

I got a moonlite focuser and it is perfecto.

Francois

mayidunk
Don't Ask...

Reged: 02/17/10

Loc: Betwixt & Between...
Re: 12" Skywatcher Collapsible Dobsonian [Re: AcTrust]
      #6173623 - 11/03/13 12:04 PM

Astrozap light shroud for the 12" Sky Watcher, I have one on mine. It works perfectly, and doesn't need to be removed to collapse the OTA!

If you're a CN member, you can get it from Astronomics, and get the member discount!

equuleus

Reged: 08/07/08

Re: 12" Skywatcher Collapsible Dobsonian new [Re: mloffland]
      #6589247 - 06/18/14 02:41 PM

As a true newbie this scope would be too much for me but I'm curious. When transporting the 12" skywatcher do you do it as one 85 lb unit or two 40-45 lb pieces and then install the tube into the base upon arrival at the viewing site?

droidModerator
rocketman

Reged: 08/29/04

Loc: Conneaut, Ohio
Re: 12" Skywatcher Collapsible Dobsonian new [Re: equuleus]
      #6607025 - 06/29/14 09:15 AM

two pieces , OTA and base , really not hard to move or load.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  droid 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10512

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics