Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
BOBMACNY
journeyman

Reged: 08/07/09

Loc: NORTHEAST USA
Losmandy - celestron g11 492 drive help please
      #6173767 - 11/03/13 01:39 PM

I am trying to use my dads g11 mount. the hc hand controller lights up.
The drive controller lights up. Buittons appear to function.. Indicated by lights moving to new light pattern. motors tick as if tracking. And the mount moves at tat what appears to be tracking rate. This action is very quiet. (nice) . But setting the hc hand controller to any speed does not get the movement i expect. Iam using a celestron 2.5 amp x 12 volt power pack input is 110 volts. I am also lucky enought to have a second losmandy controller. This also gets the same results.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Losmandy - celestron g11 492 drive help please new [Re: BOBMACNY]
      #6173802 - 11/03/13 01:54 PM

Quote:

But setting the hc hand controller to any speed does not get the movement i expect.

The issue is more likely your expectations rather than the controller. If you are looking for the mount to slew visibly you won't see that. The motions are very slow and intended only to center an object.

tomcody
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/06/08

Loc: Titusville, Florida
Re: Losmandy - celestron g11 492 drive help please new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #6174018 - 11/03/13 04:13 PM

+1
It would seem you are expecting to see movement, you will only see it through the eyepiece, center and focus on a star, then try your buttons 8x and 16x should show good movement in the eyepiece.
Also during the day if you put your ear to the motors and select the 16x then press the had control for that axis, you can hear the motor speed up a little.
This mount is designed to push to position , loosen clutches to where you can move the axis and they will stay when you let go, then push to target and the mount will track from there.
Rex

Edited by tomcody (11/03/13 04:15 PM)

BOBMACNY
journeyman

Reged: 08/07/09

Loc: NORTHEAST USA
      #6174205 - 11/03/13 06:11 PM

Thanks Guys, ILL go play more.

tidroplane
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/02/06

Loc: Everett, Wa. USA
      #6174540 - 11/03/13 09:40 PM

To make the G-11 slew from the HC it needs to be set to visual mode, you`ll find it in the Setup HC menu. Then hold either the X or the Y axis down on the HC and press the oppisite X or Y down twice, you will definatly see the mount move! Hope this helps...

Startraffic
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/12/06

Loc: Lat. 39.143345, Long. -77.1748...
      #6175611 - 11/04/13 02:31 PM

Bob,
The 492 is a stepper motor movement. Very slow if you're trying to slew any real distance. Try changing the slew speed or "double bouncing" the direction key. IIRC that will take you directly to 16x sidreal speed, but it's still going to be slow. The 492 was designed as a "Push-to" & track system. You set the clutches to just hold the OTA in place when the OTA is balanced in both axis'. When you want to go somewhere in the sky you use the setting circles to literally push the OTA around the sky until you get in the neighborhood of what you want to see then you fine tune your pointing until you're seeing what you want to see with the HC.
If you have igital setting circles, then an Argo Navis, Sky Computer, or Sky Commander are used in conjunction with the encoders to give you an accurate position readout based on what the encoders see.

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Losmandy - celestron g11 492 drive help please new [Re: Startraffic]
      #6179958 - 11/06/13 08:31 PM

Yes, 24 hours / 16 times sidereal gets you a 90 minute rotation of the RA or Dec axis.

Pages: 1

Extra information
26 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 292

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics