Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Observing >> Solar Observing and Imaging

Pages: 1
Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

White light impressions with new 110ED new
      #6172040 - 11/02/13 02:14 PM

I can't beleive that I am finally getting better views than many of the amazing white light CCD images (steveward53, whos images have been so inspirational to me).

I have been seeing all of these spectacular white light CCD pictures wishing I could see that level of detail with my own eyes.

First I went from Glass to Solar film, and saw an improvement.

Next I went from the C5 (which was loosing apeture in the binoviewers) to a 100mm f/10 achromat. Wonderful improvement.

But I knew the achromat was costing me scome contrast so I decided to get a bigger ED scope (but also for wide field binoviewing) and purchased an SV110ED.

Even better views, then I discovered taht I really had to use the GPC for this and now the level of detail is pretty astounding.

For the fisrt time, I feel as if I am seeing first hand all of the details rendered in some of the best small apeture CCD images I have seen on the web.

And today was my first long session and I was just delerious with delighht at the amount of structure visible.

1884/1885 complex is amazingly busy with tiny pores all around and what appear to be structure like in a penunbra but disconncted fro any actual sunspot. Fading? Emerging? Don't know, but I saw a lot of this kind of structure in the area aroud this complex.

Lots of penumrba detail, and in momoent of good seeing, just too much detail to take in.

1882 Appeared to have a fine light brige and a partial brige. Very distict penumbra structure.

The facula now seems to extend far further into the disk from the limb than I have ever seen before. In the past, I could only see facula somewhat close to the limb, but now it extends deep inside the disk.

And get this. I could swear I saw hints of facula around 1884/1885 even though it was near the center of the disk. There were areas where the granualtion was not visible that were surrounded by areas that were granualted, and I could trace the outline, so my guess is that this is just facula see from directly overhead.

Have never seen them before like this.

But this was the most staggering observation and the one I was so excited about.

And I confess that it could have been an illusion brought on by binoviewer use, but there is a "Biggee" sunspot emerging from the limb.

While observing this area, I notices how intense the facula were (as compared to my perevious observations using other equipment).

But this was the stunning part...

Wikipediao has this to say about Facula: Solar faculae are bright spots that form in the canyons between solar granules...

And I swear to you that this was the impression I had.

The contrast of the setup I was using was so incredible that when I viewed this area, in moments of good seeing, I could have sworn that this was exactly what I was seeing. That the facula were almost imperceptablly inset into the surrounding granulation.

In fact, the entire area did not at all see perfectly spherical.

Now I know that this is unlikely (is it), but that was the impression I had.

My new scope and the Baader film, along with the Binoviewers are quickly making the sun my favorite target.

I am totally thilled with the amazing amount of detail I am getting now and the dramatic increase from were I was just a month ago.

I kept seeing these beautiful CCD images that so many of you post and just felt like I wanted to be albe to duplicate that visually, and now I feel like I am really in the game.

Amazing. Simply fantastic.

Far better than this US Gov pic but the pic is included to show the areas covered in my report.

Today's Gov sunspot pic

You can see the big sunspot just inside the port side (left for you non Marine/Navy Types) limb in the picture,

Please please, someone Hi res CCD this region in white light?????

If you look closely you can almost see the effect I metioned
as the associated facuula crosses the limb, but at the eyepiece the view was far more detailed and the impression of the facula being a canyon was extremely powerful.

My best solar observing day ev-r

Edited by Eddgie (11/02/13 02:15 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Eddgie
Postmaster

Re: White light impressions with new 110ED new [Re: Eddgie]
      #6172044 - 11/02/13 02:17 PM

And the above pic is nothing remotely close to the amount of detail visually. Just included for reference.

I am going to have to start putting suntan lotion on my ankles.. LOL.

dbowlin
sage

Reged: 09/03/09

Loc: Littleton, Colorado
      #6172064 - 11/02/13 02:32 PM

Sounds like you are having some serious fun? Did you try a yellow filter? I tried a #12 yellow in my C102GT last weekend and it made a big difference in detail. I am going to try the Baader 495 Longpass tomorrow if I can make by S&S Optika Solar SUNday tomorrow starting at 10:30.
Dale

Eddgie
Postmaster

Re: White light impressions with new 110ED new [Re: dbowlin]
      #6172360 - 11/02/13 05:56 PM

No, just the white light Astrozap.

I was in no danger of running out of detail and there was no issue with CA that I could see.

I did feel like I could have used more power though.

Most of the time seeing was limiting me, but in moments of good seeing, the detail was incredible even at 75x.

I was really thinking I could use 100x today.

Torn between buying a pair of Hyperion zooms, or a Baader Wedge.

I know, I'll buy them both!

Ah, but the question is really "What do I buy first." LOL.

SteveC
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/15/06

Loc: Sunshine State & Ocean State
      #6173589 - 11/03/13 11:42 AM

Hi Ed,

I'm considering using the Baader solar film with my TEC110 thanks to you.

Sorry if I missed this bit of information in your other thread, but what's a GPC?

Eddgie
Postmaster

Re: White light impressions with new 110ED new [Re: SteveC]
      #6173740 - 11/03/13 01:24 PM

Binoviewer term.

Glass Path Compensator.

If you are not familar with it, it is an optical element that usually goes between the diagonal (though it can be used ahead of the diagonal) that both lengthents the light path length so that binoviewers will be able to reach focus in refractors, and for the best ones, it is designed to reduce the chromatic aberration that a fast light cone would create inside the prisms and beam splitter itself.

So, only a Binoviewer component.

My 110ED refractor is f/7 and with the Binoviewers there was a lot of chromatic aberration on the sun without the GPC because of the binoviewers themselves.

If you are not using binoviewers, it does not apply.

But dude, if you are not using them, you really should try them. Except for going to scopes with more and more clear apeture, I now think that binoviewers were the one peiece of equipment you could add to any telescope to improve your high resolution observing.

Eddgie
Postmaster

Re: White light impressions with new 110ED new [Re: SteveC]
      #6173756 - 11/03/13 01:32 PM

And I have to tell you, the Baader film was simply better than the Glass. I was skeptical for a long time, but no more.

Now, I am even wanting to get a Herschel wedge. I realize that there may not be much more to squeeze out here, but Santa can afford it.

This though... I would recommend a good bino and a Baader filter over the wedge if you can only afford one or the other.

For the $600 that the wedge costs, you can get a filter, T2 diagonal and a pair of Maxbright binos.

It is really hard to believe that the wedge could make that much differece though, but then again, I did not think the solar film would be that much better than the glass.

Highly recommend Binoviewers though. Takes a lot of patience to do solar because seeing can be severe.

But today in 45 minutes of observing, I had several long moments of excellent seeing and the binoviewers made focusing in on difficult detail quickly much easier than with monovision. And everthing just has so much raw presence.

I know, I over-answered. Sorry. Just want you to have as good a view as I am getting....

Eddgie
Postmaster

#6173762 - 11/03/13 01:36 PM

What the heck am I talking about. I just looked up the TEC 110.

If you can afford one of these things, you can afford a Mark V with Maxbright mirror!!!

AND a Baader wedge!!!

Edited by Eddgie (11/03/13 01:36 PM)

SteveC
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/15/06

Loc: Sunshine State & Ocean State
      #6173808 - 11/03/13 02:00 PM

Quote:

What the heck am I talking about. I just looked up the TEC 110.

If you can afford one of these things, you can afford a Mark V with Maxbright mirror!!!

AND a Baader wedge!!!

lol.............yeah, but the TEC110 made me broke for the rest of my life, I'm on a beer budget now..........................actually, forget beer, I can only afford tap water.

Edited by SteveC (11/03/13 02:03 PM)

Eddgie
Postmaster

Re: White light impressions with new 110ED [Re: SteveC]
      #6176459 - 11/04/13 10:28 PM

Well, I am sure that you can afford an Astrozap Baader filter, and I think you will be thrilled with how good the white light solar viewing is.

And even if you buy an inexpensive binoviewer, you should try it out.

If you love it and still have two kidneys, I have a plan on how you could move to a Mark V.. LOL...

Pages: 1

Extra information
5 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Scott in NC, Phillip Creed 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 306

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics